Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Buzzer:
United Dairy’s yard shot nmp, Buzzer

United dairies london. …white city stadium in the background. …my old man was on those scammell tankers for 30 years

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When Wincanton started the MBF contract at Maltby in 1994 they kindly donated four Merc units - G764 -G767 KYB.I’ not sure what models they were but they were an embarrasment loaded or empty on Woodhead. Drivers shuddered when given keys for one,sooner having an ERF E10 and playing a tune on a four over four.Glad I were shunting full time. :laughing: Photos taken by me early 1995…………………would that be a 1617 ?
[/quote]
I recon those mercs were supplied by Weston Super Mare motors which was owned by A D Forseys and in the Vesty group.
They are Bristol regs.

When Wincanton started the MBF contract at Maltby in 1994 they kindly donated four Merc units - G764 -G767 KYB.I’ not sure what models they were but they were an embarrasment loaded or empty on Woodhead. Drivers shuddered when given keys for one,sooner having an ERF E10 and playing a tune on a four over four.Glad I were shunting full time. :laughing: Photos taken by me early 1995…………………would that be a 1617 ?
[/quote]
I recon those mercs were supplied by Weston Super Mare motors which was owned by A D Forseys and in the Vesty group.
They are Bristol regs.

jimcab:

Buzzer:

United dairies london. …white city stadium in the background. …my old man was on those scammell tankers for 30 years

My old man drove at the Vauxhall depot. I only remember him in a Leyland or Scammell.

peterm:

jimcab:

Buzzer:

My old man drove at the Vauxhall depot. I only remember him in a Leyland or Scammell.

When I got on the tankers I tipped at vauxhall on a regular basis…

Lonewolf Yorks:

Chris Webb:

Spardo:
A very good friend of mine, Bernie Jamieson, was manager at Salveson’s, Grantham. Strangely we met initially through the petanque world, he and his brother were amongst the top players in the country and one day at a competition we got chatting and discovered we were both transport managers.

I can’t remember now if it was one of my Mercs or a Volvo, but one day in the yard it locked itself while the driver was out of the cab. At first the driver was blamed by the agents but, knowing Bernie had the same model I phoned him and asked. He said that they had had the same trouble with this model in the past and so the agents accepted the cost of getting the thing back open again. I don’t remember how, but it was certainly not by scattering glass all over the yard. :wink:

On that point, I never, ever, leave a vehicle with the keys in the ignition, unless at least one window is open. I have had the same trouble with my Berlingo in the past. It is a very ominous sound, that little ‘click’ as you walk away from the vehicle. :astonished:

I also have a model of a Salveson Merc and trailer. If I remember rightly I was invited on a tour of some underground store of theirs in the Peak District, and this was a giveaway at the end of it. :slight_smile:

There was a frozen product store near Tideswell just off the A623 Chesterfield - Stockport road,it could have been that David?

I remember years since delivering to an underground place in the Peak District. It was called Harpur Hill just outside Buxton and it had been an ammo dump or something

Correct that man , it was an underground bomb store , when the Raf closed it down it became a mushroom growers . Salveson used it and also Bradbury Cheese and wine distributers later on . Germans tried to bomb it , but missed by 2 miles and blew Sterndale church up , I believe the vicar was quite vexed about that .

Lonewolf Yorks:
I remember years since delivering to an underground place in the Peak District. It was called Harpur Hill just outside Buxton and it had been an ammo dump or something

That’s the place, an old ammo dump. :slight_smile:

pyewacket947v:

DEANB:

pyewacket947v:
March 1983
Christian Salvesen Droitwich Spa Depot
OSF 947V, a MB 1619. A ex Blairgowrie Depot motor,one of several transferred to Droitwich to replace 16t 1617s
They had already been hard worked on UK and Euro haulage and some where a bit rough cabwise.
I was lucky with this one, whoever it had been allocated to had looked after it and the cab was clean and undamaged.
I developed a real soft spot for this old plodder and even now, all these years later, i still miss the clattering sound of the 190 Vee 6, the simple almost basic cab with its big Germanic steering wheel.
Yes there where times when it was embarrassingly slow, but then i had already learned, there where no medals for
charging about like a lunatic, Do it one day and they would want you to do it again, and again.
‘Pyewacket’ is seen here coupled up to a ex Comart Alcan Dorsey wide spread tandem with a big Thermo King fridge unit. They rode and followed nicely but they taxed the 1619s ability , even when empty.

When i was a kid “Pyewacket” i thought Christian Salvesen were the largest haulier around. They are the one company that i
remember the most for having alot of trucks. They seemed to have hundreds of these Merc artics back in the day. Out of intrest
do you know how big the fleet was ?

Vehicle numbers wise i have no idea… Salvesen was a large and widely spread fleet, having transport depots in Aberdeen,Blairgowrie,Hawick,Doncaster,Easton(Grantham),Droitwich Spa,Elstree, Lowestoft,Nuneaton as well as operating dedicated fleets for Supermarket chains from Atherstone,Rugby, etc, M+S transport was under the Salserve
banner… Salvesen also had divisions in House building, (Whelmar and Salvesen Homes) Salvesen Brick running 4 axle MANs ,They also ran operations in Holland,Belgium,Spain, I am sure i have left many locations and operations out.
Mercedes where a big part of Salvesens fleets, though not exclusively. I had a 1617,a 1619, a1621 and a 1726, as well as Leyland Clydedales and a ERF E10… People remember Salvesen vehicles almost certainly due to the blue and white livery and the Salvesen flag. Put simpley, they looked good, they stood out… Like a great many high profile fleets they are sadly no more, XPLO which can be seen on the roads today is the sad tail end of what was a great company.

Never knew they were involved in house building.

Heres an older Merc.

A00464.JPG

Spardo:

Lonewolf Yorks:

I forgot about Harpur Hill it was formerly an RAF site. Sheffield based Safety in Mines Research Establishment on Broad Lane used it int 70s and 80s as well.

Chris Webb:

Spardo:

Lonewolf Yorks:

I forgot about Harpur Hill it was formerly an RAF site. Sheffield based Safety in Mines Research Establishment on Broad Lane used it int 70s and 80s as well.

You should see it now Chris , Sheffield closed down it’s all at Harpur now . Now the hq of the Health and Safety Executive , it’s a massive site , probably full of worker drones inventing ways to make everyone’s life more awkward .

pyewacket947v:

remy:

pyewacket947v:
1st April 1983.(April Fools Day)
Bedminster, Bristol.
BUD 506V
Another hired unit, this time a Volvo F7, with a Salvesen fridge trailer…
this was another likeable motor. i expect my MB 1619 was being serviced.
Seen at the back of Sainsburys Bedminster store.
Some time later, in the 21st Century i delivered to the same store, only then it had become a Somerfield.

I’m sure i heard that Christian Salvesen had opened a terminal in the USA, Mobile Alabama comes to mind but my research has turned up nothing. :confused:

Hi Remy.
Yes you are right, Christian Salvesen did dip its toes into the US scene some years ago when it took over a company called,(if i recall correctly) Merchants Refrigeration, I am fairly sure they had depots right across the US. I seem to recall one in New Jersey, and there was certainly one in Modesto .California. I think it was a fairly short lived venture. I have added a pic of a US Salvesen Kenworth con, though this is not my picture,

Thanks for the info pyewacket947v, i only ever saw one Christian Salvesen trailer on the road over here and wondered if i was seeing things.

remy:

pyewacket947v:

remy:

pyewacket947v:
1st April 1983.(April Fools Day)
Bedminster, Bristol.
BUD 506V
Another hired unit, this time a Volvo F7, with a Salvesen fridge trailer…
this was another likeable motor. i expect my MB 1619 was being serviced.
Seen at the back of Sainsburys Bedminster store.
Some time later, in the 21st Century i delivered to the same store, only then it had become a Somerfield.

I’m sure i heard that Christian Salvesen had opened a terminal in the USA, Mobile Alabama comes to mind but my research has turned up nothing. :confused:

Hi Remy.
Yes you are right, Christian Salvesen did dip its toes into the US scene some years ago when it took over a company called,(if i recall correctly) Merchants Refrigeration, I am fairly sure they had depots right across the US. I seem to recall one in New Jersey, and there was certainly one in Modesto .California. I think it was a fairly short lived venture. I have added a pic of a US Salvesen Kenworth con, though this is not my picture,

Thanks for the info pyewacket947v, i only ever saw one Christian Salvesen trailer on the road over here and wondered if i was seeing things.

Toy makers Matchbox also turned out a Christian Salvesen truck and trailer with a Peterbilt Conventional on the head end.

mtchbxpt.jpg

28 July 1983
Strawberry Lane.
Newent ,Gloucestershire
MB 1619 .OSF 947V.
Last pic i took of ‘Pyewacket’ before moving onto
a new 1621,.
The camera was a 110 pocket thing, near useless really
but i was not really interested in photography then.

Gordons Transport, Longton, Stoke nmp, Buzzer

79089083_171501027265753_4016469509014552576_n (3).jpg

pyewacket947v:
28 July 1983
Strawberry Lane.
Newent ,Gloucestershire
MB 1619 .OSF 947V.
Last pic i took of ‘Pyewacket’ before moving onto
a new 1621,.
The camera was a 110 pocket thing, near useless really
but i was not really interested in photography then.

Thanks for the photo. pyewacket. Taken just around the corner from where I grew up. Trimmed that hedge with an S-type Bedford quite regularly!

jimcab:

peterm:

jimcab:

Buzzer:

I don’t think he was on tankers. Bottles only as far as I know.

peterm:

jimcab:

peterm:

jimcab:

Buzzer:

I don’t think he was on tankers. Bottles only as far as I know.

Don’t think any tankers were based at vauxhall. …I actually started on the bottles at white city dairy

Twin steer Trader eh. A first for me.

A couple of Essex Carriers nmp, Buzzer

79307160_10220370465673375_7065947227486683136_n.jpg

A few more odds

IMG_3932.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG