Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Ray Smyth:
I think that I have put the 1st picture of Water Street, Liverpool on here before, not too sure.
The 2nd picture, from Bootle History Forum is the same location, taken quite recently.
Ray Smyth.

I think the large building on the left in the first picture is the passport office, some years ago they were having a dispute/industrial action, passport renewals were by personal application. I queued round that b loody building for 8 hours and when I got to the front of the queue, presented my completed forms for myself and Mrs GOM the fed up young lady said “I can issue yours but not Mrs GOM, she’ll have to come and apply in person” :open_mouth: :imp:
There was no point in kicking off (it would have achieved nothing) so I went back to Lime St. and the train back to Dewsbury . 8 b loody hours wasted. :imp: :imp:

grumpy old man:

Ray Smyth:
I think that I have put the 1st picture of Water Street, Liverpool on here before, not too sure.
The 2nd picture, from Bootle History Forum is the same location, taken quite recently.
Ray Smyth.

I think the large building on the left in the first picture is the passport office, some years ago they were having a dispute/industrial action, passport renewals were by personal application. I queued round that b loody building for 8 hours and when I got to the front of the queue, presented my completed forms for myself and Mrs GOM the fed up young lady said “I can issue yours but not Mrs GOM, she’ll have to come and apply in person” :open_mouth: :imp:
There was no point in kicking off (it would have achieved nothing) so I went back to Lime St. and the train back to Dewsbury . 8 b loody hours wasted. :imp: :imp:

Ey-up Grumps, Sorry to spoil your weekend with the pictures of the passport office. :laughing: Yes, it was, and perhaps still is the passport office.
It is India Buildings which contains many companies. Up and until 2003, If I needed a passport, I would get a 1 year passport from the main
Post Office in Wigan. However, at that time, we decided to go “Upmarket” and get 10 year passports, but at the time, all of the passport
offices in the UK were on strike or on a go slow, apart from the Belfast office, so I phoned Belfast to see what the situation was over there,
and a very helpful lady said “Post your forms and cheque to us, and we will sort it straight away”, five days later, our passports arrived. :smiley:
Best Regards, Ray.

FB_IMG_1567856265264.jpg
Cyprus.nmp

coomsey:
Cyprus.nmp

Is that the old military truck graveyard on the outskirts of Larnica? Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

coomsey:
Cyprus.nmp

Yes Robert, but I couldn’t spell Larnaka! Not unlike yourself :smiley:

coomsey:

ERF-NGC-European:

coomsey:
Cyprus.nmp

Yes Robert, but I couldn’t spell Larnaka! Not unlike yourself :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: I wonder if it’s still there. I drove past it in 2012 or '13 and it still had old beasts in it then. Robert

Biffa in 1960 NMPics, Buzzer

Merc rig ready to roll, not sure what country Buzzer.

> Buzzer:
> Merc rig ready to roll, not sure what country Buzzer.

Somewhere with no hills?? :smiley: Unless it’s a V10

whisperingsmith:
> Buzzer:

These old Mercs were (indeed are in many parts of the world) amazing. I have seen them working hard in South America, Middle East and Africa. As for hills I can recall seeing them pulling (slowly!) from the port of Aqaba in Jordan in very high temperatures and ploughing (literally) up steep muddy hills in Brazil.

When I read the “Were Mercs always this bad” thread I can only think that, no,they were not.

Dipster:

whisperingsmith:
> Buzzer:

These old Mercs were (indeed are in many parts of the world) amazing. I have seen them working hard in South America, Middle East and Africa. As for hills I can recall seeing them pulling (slowly!) from the port of Aqaba in Jordan in very high temperatures and ploughing (literally) up steep muddy hills in Brazil.

When I read the “Were Mercs always this bad” thread I can only think that, no,they were not.

:sunglasses: +1

Is it me or the photo? I can’t make out what’s going on with it. It looks as though it’s got wheels in all the wrong places.

peterm:
Is it me or the photo? I can’t make out what’s going on with it. It looks as though it’s got wheels in all the wrong places.

B double i reckon. B trailer coupled to a 5th wheel on the back of the A(front) trailer. Looks like the front axle of each trailer has single wheels, and rear axle of each trailer on twin wheels.

colinwallace1:

peterm:

B double i reckon. B trailer coupled to a 5th wheel on the back of the A(front) trailer. Looks like the front axle of each trailer has single wheels, and rear axle of each trailer on twin wheels.

Absolutely right but for one thing Colin, the B-trailer is coupled to a 5th wheel on the semi-trailer. That one isn’t an A-frame.

Has anyone sussed out what country/region yet. Looks a bit South American to me.

Perhaps we need some younger eyes to read the number plate. :unamused: :laughing:

Spardo:

colinwallace1:

peterm:

Absolutely right but for one thing Colin, the B-trailer is coupled to a 5th wheel on the semi-trailer. That one isn’t an A-frame.

Has anyone sussed out what country/region yet. Looks a bit South American to me.

Perhaps we need some younger eyes to read the number plate. :unamused: :laughing:

I think it’s South African https://www.prospectontransport.co.za/
They still seam to like their Mercs !! :smiley:
Regards John.

Spardo:

colinwallace1:

peterm:

Yep, didn’t mention an “A frame” Spardo. I said a 5th wheel on the back of the A trailer.

Yep, looking at it after a nights kip, it’s a B dub. Maybe the photo foreshortened it and had this daft old bugger flummoxed.

Definitely from the past today especially when you load and unload with shovels, Buzzer

Leyland Buffalo.

Here are some bulk powder tanker brochures.
Cheers Leyland 600.

img670.jpg

img662.jpg