Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

robinswh:
I grew up in an 8 wheeler like the two in the photographs but my dads was plated Maudsley . Licence plate HAY492 tipper version new in 1951 scrapped in 1964 amazing vehicle but obsolete in the motorway age max speed 35 mpg .The owner was the whitwick granite company whitwick leicestershire which closed a couple of years ago

Blimey, that was frugal Robin :open_mouth: :laughing:

Only joking, I know what you meant, made my old Highwayman on Ilkeston haulage fairly speedy by comparison. 38 mph flat out in 6th.

Mind you, did a lot more than that in Super 7th. :unamused:

Those big 8-wheel (half) vans were very common in those days, I think mainly from Yorkshire. Was the open part of the roof for carrying bales or something?

20 mph speed limit was in effect when it was built…indicators fitted about 1957…no heater my dad used to shove a leicester mercury in front of the radiator. Really good motor I dont remember it ever broke down.delivered tarmac to the M1 when it was being built also to the ross spur I think that was the M5 . It was getting really rough towards the end…it was one of five all were scapped not sold onto a new owner. There was a cpmpany called Parkin and Jones from coalville who ran into whitwick quarry they had a 1949 AEC mammoth major mk 3 NRA814 it was similiar to my dads but had a steel body it was still running in 1968 . Quite the motor.

I well remember that trick, but in my case a piece of cardboard, definitely needed with Gardner engines, only thing was with some bosses, it was advisable to remove before re-entering the yard.

Froggy55:

DEANB:
Hino 1978.

Hino trucks were common at that time in Normandie (France), where a truck dealer sold and serviced them, I think in Cherbourg. Probably Michel will know more.

Never knew they were popular in France “Froggy55”. Found this old advert from 1974. :wink:

Chris Webb:

Buzzer:
One for today nmp, Buzzer

Looks like Huddersfield BRS going by the VH reg plates.Lovely photo.

If it is Huddersfield and they are loaded for the London trunk that MM van will never get under Ackworth Bridge at tat height. :smiley:

Spardo:

robinswh:
I grew up in an 8 wheeler like the two in the photographs but my dads was plated Maudsley . Licence plate HAY492 tipper version new in 1951 scrapped in 1964 amazing vehicle but obsolete in the motorway age max speed 35 mpg .The owner was the whitwick granite company whitwick leicestershire which closed a couple of years ago

Blimey, that was frugal Robin :open_mouth: :laughing:

Only joking, I know what you meant, made my old Highwayman on Ilkeston haulage fairly speedy by comparison. 38 mph flat out in 6th.

Mind you, did a lot more than that in Super 7th. :unamused:

Those big 8-wheel (half) vans were very common in those days, I think mainly from Yorkshire. Was the open part of the roof for carrying bales or something?

Open top ■■ they were the van version of ‘greedy boards’…“Load it up, pile it high, c’mon lad, you can get a bit more on there” :unamused:

Strewth, when I was just starting as a van lad at Harrisons a few of us used to go out to Ackworth regularly…top layer all over the road and a tattered sheet.

Spardo:
I well remember that trick, but in my case a piece of cardboard, definitely needed with Gardner engines, only thing was with some bosses, it was advisable to remove before re-entering the yard.

It was surprising what a sheet of newspaper could do in front of the radiator grill. Start the engine, get a sheet of newspaper and offer it up to the grille, warm and cozy in no time

grumpy old man:

Spardo:

It was surprising what a sheet of newspaper could do in front of the radiator grill. Start the engine, get a sheet of newspaper and offer it up to the grille, warm and cozy in no time

There was still the gale blowing up round the pedals and the steering column , but rufty tufts old lorry drivers coped with that . Probably why we all suffer with arthritis now .

gingerfold:
A Cadbury liquid chocolate tanker behind a Leyland Two-Pedal Beaver

Those were very similar that hauled out of Marlbrook Leominster ,regards Keith

rigsby:
There was still the gale blowing up round the pedals and the steering column , but rufty tufts old lorry drivers coped with that . Probably why we all suffer with arthritis now .

A bit late for us to start a class action and sue them, I suppose? :bulb:

Thanks to gingerfold, Buzzer and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily

Lorry loads

Lorries Richard 45824838301_781e548cff_rs k.jpg

Lorries 44398183780_171a2e8af3_rs k.jpg

Saw this on my travels today
Cheers Gary

Belaz 450 ton payload.

Out of intrest does anyone know the make of the car ■■

oily dump truck.jpg

Looks like a GAZ Volga 3110
carfolio.com/specifications … car=112871

These pair were delivering rock salt this morning where I work

Froggy55:
Looks like a GAZ Volga 3110
carfolio.com/specifications … car=112871

Thanks for the info on the car “Froggy55” .It looks a fairly smart motor in my opinion and built to last at 1400 kgs. :wink:

gingerfold:
A Cadbury liquid chocolate tanker behind a Leyland Two-Pedal Beaver

does any body remember Kem Transport ,they hauled out of Cadburys ,would see them at Chirk ,they were AEC Mercury 4 wheelers ? thank you Trevor

Thanks to gazsa401 and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley:

1951 click twice to read print.
Oily

oiltreader:
Thanks to gazsa401 and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley:

1951 click twice to read print.
Oily

That illustration is Mow Cop nr Biddulph ,were ERFs were put to test ,thanks Trevor

Road-Haulage-Transport-Photograph-Twestr-Louth-Vulcan-Hfu-815.jpg
Take your pick!