Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

backsplice:
Oily …bought this in an Opp shop for $5.00 "bargin "

Hi backsplice, Back about 2000 I was a member of a book club, one of the frequent enticements were books at a reduced price for two, my choice was The World Encyclopedia of Trucks by Peter J Davies and The World Encyclopedia of Tractors and Farm Machinery, (author escapes me), gave it to a local friend, a keen old tractors fan and restorer.
Oily

Buzzer:
Oily a bit of past and present here as this Volvo F89 has just past its 40th consecutive MOT at MC Truck & Bus formerly Princes Commercials in Southampton, nowadays it is only used to transport the yacht that is on the step frame behind it, over the years we have run a few of this model and back in its day it was a force to be reckoned with 330bhp which today is nothing, cheers Buzzer

That is a beaut Buzzer, all credit to the owner :smiley:
A couple of tidy examples.
Oily

Volvo Richard 39794078651_59b0d0b866_rs k.jpg

Volvo Richard 30902983827_e5e4c78c07_rs k.jpg

Thanks to backsplice and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
The ultimate campervan.

And the winner of dirty truck competion is…

Danne

475F591D-2C78-4BF9-A332-16E388A307A4.jpeg

79075485-3139-4F90-8BC3-FD0D1814C91B.jpeg

Ray Smyth:
“BIMBO” bread van delivering to Dia% Supermarket in Mojacar, Spain. Ray Smyth.

We have “Bimbo” bread here in Portugal Ray,nice bread too.

David

Dirty Dan:
And the winner of dirty truck competion is…

Danne

That’s not dirty…Harry Gill was the master and gold medal winner in ‘dirty truck’ competitions. :stuck_out_tongue:

■■■■■■■ advert from 1969

Thanks to Dirty Dan, Lawrence Dunbar and DEANB for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Smethwick Home Guard, this brilliant photo belongs to Andy Breeden’s dad. My dad’s transport when he was in the Home Guard was a push bike to muster for drill. Manoeuvres took place sometimes overnight in the hills, that was a bit of a lark the main piece of equipment being a hip flask :laughing:
Oily

Some oldie BRS pics today, Buzzer

Rare old pics Buzzer, bottom one an Oxford wagon away from home. toshboy may recognise it, come on Ivor gives us your thoughts :slight_smile:
Oily

More thanks to Andrew Breeden.
Oily

Andrew Breedon Al Ain UAE 43995155284_2ecec988ac_ab k.jpg

BRSKidlington.jpg

oiltreader:
Rare old pics Buzzer, bottom one an Oxford wagon away from home. toshboy may recognise it, come on Ivor gives us your thoughts :slight_smile:
Oily

Hi Eddie, Very nostalgic , the model that won the war, that one though I don’t know ,at long lane we only had a couple of them ,it was Kidlington who had mostly the older ones , incidently the ERF in the forefront of this pic of Kidlington depot was ex Tuckwells, Ivor

Atkinson advert.

Andrew " snapper " Morrison drove for this company in his yoof, Buzzer

46485760_1142998265864868_1311499114583687168_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Andrew " snapper " Morrison drove for this company in his yoof, Buzzer

Never actually drove for em John was too young but did spend a lot of my formative years there abouts lol

I suppose it would be churlish of me to ask if you ever got a photo of the two rear cylinders of that Big J, Andrew?

In France some drivers (and I think they are probably ODs) apparently get away with overlength outfits without actually being ‘Convoi Exceptionnel’. Here are a couple of examples recently seen. The first, a well turned out Kenworth Aerodyne, with a standard trailer, has tried to avoid a pull by putting a CE sign on the back. I wonder if he gets away with it or if he takes the occasional fine with a Gallic shrug. :laughing:

The 2nd, a long-nosed Scania (although the wagon behind it makes it look like a very long cabover) again with a standard trailer.

Finally, at Toddington services this time, I suppose this bloke always pulls 20 foot boxes, can’t imagine he’d get away with this monster in England. Or could he?

I can imagine the conversation in the patrol car-
Cop 1: That artic looks a bit dodgy on length.
Cop 2: Shall we give him a tug?
Cop 1: I’m not 100% sure of the regulations.
Cop 2: Best leave it, then. Fancy a bacon butty?