Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Despite what the name on the DAF 6 wheeler seems to indicate, this lorry
is delivering groceries and vegetables to a supermarket in Mojacar, Spain.
Perhaps some of the Trucknet members who now reside in Spain can tell
me what “Cash” means in Spanish, Is it similar to “Cash & Carry” in English ?.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

grumpy old man:

oiltreader:

Leyland600:
Hi Oily, That is a good looking 8 wheeler DAF of Carrs Milling Industries , I reckon it is based at their subsiduary company Hutchisons Mill at Kirkcaldy serving bakeries in the north including Orkney.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Hi Leyland 600, aye I remember the original just off the bottom of the “Paith” on the harbour side, Carrs built a huge new mill on the same site.
This picture would have been about my time there, Nairn’s Commer climbing The Path loaded with rolls of hessian backing for the lino, a Guy Arab on the way down, the cassies when wet got ye paying attention, in the winter time always well gritted. Some of the Guys had wooden slatted seats which gave mirth to the clippies when cornering on steep inclines, passengers hanging on and not unusual to find the odd one picking themselves up from the gangway.
Oily

Strewth, I passed my PSV (in house testing) on one of those Guys. IIRC it had a 5LW in it (maybe 6, it was a long time ago) :unamused:

5cyl Gardner, they took a bit of firing up of a winters morning, burning rag into the air intake, lots of blue smoke generated, a job for the garage shunter/s, jeez it can’t have been good for their bronchioles.
Oily

Thanks to Ray Smyth for the pics :smiley:

These with permission from Andy Breeden.
Oily

Andrew Breeden Dubai 44054717065_fe30b39e8cab _k.jpg

Andrew Breeden Abu Dhabi 43804177985_ab47c77244_ab k.jpg

A good old Ford Custom concrete mixer of the mid seventies, maybe ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

oiltreader:

grumpy old man:

oiltreader:

Leyland600:
Hi Oily,

Strewth, I passed my PSV (in house testing) on one of those Guys. IIRC it had a 5LW in it (maybe 6, it was a long time ago) :unamused:

5cyl Gardner, they took a bit of firing up of a winters morning, burning rag into the air intake, lots of blue smoke generated, a job for the garage shunter/s, jeez it can’t have been good for their bronchioles.
Oily

It was a regular sight in Dewsbury bus station, Guy Arab, flat battery, starting handle, and a rope. Get the handle ready, get the rope on, and a couple of hefty lads to give it a sharp pull. Usually a success…“and leave it running, don’t stop it or stall it” :unamused:

Happy days.

Froggy55:
A good old Ford Custom concrete mixer of the mid seventies, maybe ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Must have been a D1000. The ford motor wouldn’t gone anywhere with a load of concrete. :slight_smile:

Thanks to Froggy55 for the pic :smiley:

Round the counties in Gloucestershire.
Oily

Glos Richard 25816227597_59953d5e6e_rs k.jpg

Glos Paul Evans cc by 2.0 8376115148_e17c6b4297_pe k.jpg

Froggy55:

Woudn’t be a ■■■■■■■ as you would have had an all speed governor.Probably a V. 8. Perkins.On a Cargo Mixer Deutz seemed to be the best ones for the job

Tony

oiltreader:

Oily

Thanks, Oily. God’s Own County. :wink:

rastone:

Froggy55:

Woudn’t be a ■■■■■■■ as you would have had an all speed governor.Probably a V. 8. Perkins.On a Cargo Mixer Deutz seemed to be the best ones for the job

Tony

I remember such a truck resting in the back of a local garage’s workshop for years, its cab tilted. Indeed its engine was a V8, but in that time my knowledge wasn’t what it is today, and I mistook it for a GM V8. Thanks for the information!

Two little lorries on snacks & sweets deliveries in Mojacar Pueblo, Spain, 2016. Ray Smyth.

Pilot tippers advert from 1960 on a Bedford chassis.

W.Costigan had a large number of shops in the Liverpool area, Whether they had shops further afield,
I do not know. Costigans were like butchers shops, but from memory, they tended to sell large amounts
of bacon and pork products, rather than the usual cuts of fresh meat. I don’t remember this particular
Costigan Karrier Bantam artic, but I can remember the drivers carrying half a slaughtered pig, or sides
of bacon into Costigans shops. This location is Scotland Road in Liverpool, exactly where Cilla Black (RIP)
lived until about 1964.
Picture from Liverpool Echo Archive.

Ray Smyth.

Lawrence Dunbar:

This firm made the original Jesmona Black Bullet Mints , Famous for their flavour, Regards Larry.

On the more genteel side of the Pennines were Uncle Joe’s Mint Balls, Larry. Still available, I believe.

oiltreader:

Oily

Those Gilder wagons surely look the part Oily, no doubt herr Sutherland will concur! :laughing:

Defo a past un! M1 Leics reckon that’s a Dodge he’s overtaking. Cheers Coomsey

Hi ROF, Yes, Uncle Joes Mint Balls are still made right here in Wigan.
The slogan is “Uncle Joes Mint Balls, Keep you all aglow”
They are produced by the Santus family, who I believe were, or are
connected to the firm of coachbuilders also called Santus.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

16671183774_0dcfa8b14d_b.jpg

coomsey:
Defo a past un! M1 Leics reckon that’s a Dodge he’s overtaking. Cheers Coomsey

I resemble that remark , I can remember the M1 like that , no Armco and no busy lines of traffic . Looks like an Octopus coming the other way . I bet it was only open from J24 to rugby at that time , early to mid 60s . Rotten bugger , you’ve made me feel ancient ( again ).