Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Buzzer

Buzzer:

kevmac47:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Nice one Buzzer, I look forward to the next lesson! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Here you go KM47, Buzzer

You’re keeping the standard high Buzzer, :smiley: :smiley: thanks, Kev.

OIP (29).jpg
OIP (25).jpg

Not my pics
Credit to Adrian Cypher

OIP (27).jpg

Nice to see a Heaton’s motor . Don’t get to see that many of them on here , although Heaton’s did have a considerable fleet back in the 70s , the vast majority being ERFs with a few Leyland Comet stragglers in the mix dating from the 60s which were normally held back and used mainly on local work .
Being based in St Helens , I would estimate that 80% of Heaton’s work was glass related . Aside from bits and pieces from the likes of Cadbury’s at Moreton , and one or two others , the bulk of the traffic consisted of either glass bottles from Rockware , before Robson’s took over , sheet glass on stillages from Pilks , or containerised fibreglass for export , again from Pilks .
In fact , it was the loading of fibreglass into shipping containers within the confines of Heaton’s premises on Merton Bank road that sparked the inter-union conflict between dockers and drivers in the early 70s , which split the T&GWU and ultimately resulted in the end of the closed shop system .

This motor presumably is making his way back to Pilks at St Helens with the m/t
plate glass stillage . It’s possible that I could have been the driver , although I recognise neither the location nor the fleet number on the wagon so probably not , but as we were allocated a different motor practically every other day , who’s to say ?

One thing I forgot to mention is that every one of Heaton’s motors had one of those odometers fitted to the hub of the drive axle , although they must have been fitted to the offside hub as it isn’t evident in this shot . I’m fairly sure that Alf Sutton had them fitted to his fleet as well .

Tyneside

Tyneside

Eddie Heaton:
Nice to see a Heaton’s motor . Don’t get to see that many of them on here , although Heaton’s did have a considerable fleet back in the 70s , the vast majority being ERFs with a few Leyland Comet stragglers in the mix dating from the 60s which were normally held back and used mainly on local work .
Being based in St Helens , I would estimate that 80% of Heaton’s work was glass related . Aside from bits and pieces from the likes of Cadbury’s at Moreton , and one or two others , the bulk of the traffic consisted of either glass bottles from Rockware , before Robson’s took over , sheet glass on stillages from Pilks , or containerised fibreglass for export , again from Pilks .
In fact , it was the loading of fibreglass into shipping containers within the confines of Heaton’s premises on Merton Bank road that sparked the inter-union conflict between dockers and drivers in the early 70s , which split the T&GWU and ultimately resulted in the end of the closed shop system .

This motor presumably is making his way back to Pilks at St Helens with the m/t
plate glass stillage . It’s possible that I could have been the driver , although I recognise neither the location nor the fleet number on the wagon so probably not , but as we were allocated a different motor practically every other day , who’s to say ?

One thing I forgot to mention is that every one of Heaton’s motors had one of those odometers fitted to the hub of the drive axle , although they must have been fitted to the offside hub as it isn’t evident in this shot . I’m fairly sure that Alf Sutton had them fitted to his fleet as well .

Hello Eddie, glad you like the pic. The location is the County Ground lorry park in Swindon and it looks like the fleet no is 95

Hello Eddie, glad you like the pic. The location is the County Ground lorry park in Swindon and it looks like the fleet no is 95
[/quote]
Thanks for that Suedehead . If the location is Swindon , then the driver wouldn’t have been me , as I don’t recall ever taking sheet glass down there . East Anglia and London were my usual destinations .
The good thing about the sheet glass job was that you didn’t have to touch the stuff and there was no back loading .

In common with many drivers who post on here , I regret never having taken any photos at the time as 50 odd years down the road they would have been interesting to look at … far more interesting to me at any rate than the majority of these modern wagons .

That said , I wasn’t really expecting to reach the age that I have . :neutral_face: Cheers.

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Not sure what the car is but the registration would be worth a good amount today!

Buzzer

336741029_904367644125339_5147534220626102787_n (2).jpg

It’s a Bentley, Dipster.

Star down under.:
It’s a Bentley, Dipster.

I thought it was a 1930’s Jenson, not sure now Buzzer

Buzzer:

Star down under.:
It’s a Bentley, Dipster.

When you posted it first Buzzer I also thought Bentley but a bit puzzled. Googled no end of Bentley images and the headlights yes, the sidelights no, the rad no, no winged B yet the wheels are a Bentley match, also a number coachbuilder styles on Bentley and Rolls of that era so mebbe.
Oily

Thanks to Buzzer, Punchy Dan, Star down under, ramone, Lawrence Dunbar, Ray Smyth, Tyneside and Suedehead for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: and the craic as always going well :smiley:
Oily
When chatting to drivers of todays wagons now and again I get the offer “climb up see what you think” I can’t the creaky limbs wont perform :laughing: :laughing:
I’d just about manage this Scania, credit to eastleighbusman for the photo.

oiltreader:

Buzzer:

Star down under.:
It’s a Bentley, Dipster.

When you posted it first Buzzer I also thought Bentley but a bit puzzled. Googled no end of Bentley images and the headlights yes, the sidelights no, the rad no, no winged B yet the wheels are a Bentley match, also a number coachbuilder styles on Bentley and Rolls of that era so mebbe.
Oily

Whatever it is I do not find it very elegant. Not for me.

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Past Present And In Between In Pictures,972-973 . Saturday,18th March,2023. VALKYRIE .

Jensen PW Motorcar .

Dipster:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Not sure what the car is but the registration would be worth a good amount today!

Star Down Under.:
It’s a Bentley, Dipster.

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Jensen PW,Nash Eight or Austin Six-Engined,4-Door,Sports Sedan Motorcar,CEA 1,West Bromwich,1946-1947.16 built.TN,OTL,PPIBIP,972.3-2023.BUZZER.3#

The very attractive Jensen PW luxury sports saloon motorcar was originally intended to be powered by a Meadows Eight Engine,but it was a flop,so the early cars were powered by
Nash Straight Eight Engines and the later motorcars by Austin A135 Straight Six Engines.The Jensen PW was made from 1946-1951.

Jensen PW=Post War,Nash Eight or Austin Six-Engined,4-Door,Sports Sedan Motorcar.16 built,1946-1951.TN,OTL,PPIBIP,972.3-2023.Jensen.3#

.Jensen PW=Post War,Nash Eight or Austin Six-Engined,4-Door,Sports Sedan Motorcar.16 built,1946-1951.TN,OTL,PPIBIP,972.3-2023.Jensen.3#.jpg

NOTE: Another similar motorcar appeared on the British luxury motorcar market at the same 1946-1950-51 period as the above Jensen PW: -
Invicta Black Prince,Meadows 2998 cc,TOHC,6-Cylinder-Engined,4-Door,6-Light,Luxury Fastback Motorcar,of which only 25* were built.It had all-round independent torsion-bar
suspension,24-volt dynamotor and a Brockhouse infinitely variable hydro-kinetic turbo-transmitter gearbox.
*At least one other source says 16 were built.

Invicta sports cars and luxury motorcars of Cobham,Surrey,produced 1925-1938,was revived 1946-1950 and again in 2003 to 2012 with the Invicta S1 Sports Car.

Invicta Black Prince,3-Litre,TOHC 6,4-Door,6-Light,Luxury Fastback Motorcar,KPK 75,Surrey,10-1946.TN,OTL,PPIBIP,973.3-2023.Pinterest.3#

.Invicta Black Prince,3-Litre,TOHC 6,4-Door,6-Light,Luxury Fastback Motorcar,KPK 75,Surrey,10-1946.TN,OTL,PPIBIP,973.3-2023.Pinterest.3#.jpg

VALKYRIE

VALKYRIE:
TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Past Present And In Between In Pictures,972-973 . Saturday,18th March,2023. VALKYRIE .

Jensen PW Motorcar .

VALKYRIE

Excellent investigation, I do like the styling of all those and they remined me of my '38 and '39 Packard (P6 diesel) and straight 8 petrol Pontiac. (can never remember which was which year) but the most glaring diffrence was, no running boards. :astonished: Where on earth would the Tommy gun weilders stand with those though? :unamused:

Spardo:

VALKYRIE:

Jensen PW Motorcar .

VALKYRIE

Excellent investigation, I do like the styling of all those and they remined me of my '38 and '39 Packard (P6 diesel) and straight 8 petrol Pontiac. (can never remember which was which year) but the most glaring diffrence was, no running boards. :astonished: Where on earth would the Tommy gun weilders stand with those though? :unamused:

Plus 1 there is always someone who knows or investigates, brilliant Buzzer