Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

There’s another one, registered in 1953 and beautifully restored.

Buzzer

Froggy55:
Who will tell more about this one? I’m surprised to see such a modern-looking concrete mixer on such an antique chassis!

The mixer unit is not modern anymore , obviously a mechanical drive with a donkey engine and chain drive, large water tank for when drivers were responsible for the mixing and adding water , replaced by hydraulic drives by the 70s and concrete mixed at a central plant and ,drivers relieved of the mixing responsibility,a nice AEC beginning a second life i would think. Toshboy

The only IFA in Wigan that I’m aware of .
The camper body looks a bit rough , although the cab appears to be in good order .

Thanks to Froggy55, Buzzer, Ray Smyth, Scottie1, Lawrence Dunbar and Eddie Heaton for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Talking Concrete Mixers, nice example snapped at Gaydon with credit to SCP for the photo.

Eddie Heaton:
The only IFA in Wigan that I’m aware of .
The camper body looks a bit rough , although the cab appears to be in good order .

Years ago, when driving through Eastern Europe, these IFAs were numerous, smelly and slow; which is why we thought IFA stood for “In Front Again!” :wink:

OvIP.jpg

I must bow to your superior knowledge regarding Eastern European motors Ro , as I personally have no experience in that particular area .

My late friend however , who was born in Vilnius and lived the better part of his years under communist rule , frequently attempted to convince me that although a number of East German produced vehicles , such as the Trabant for instance , were obviously essentially basic and subsequently treated with disdain and laughed at in the west , they were in fact bullet-proof , reliable and simple to maintain .

I’ve never had the opportunity to put his theory to the test unfortunately , although I am an avid fan of standardisation , inasmuch as I much prefer the reliability and ease of maintenance of mechanical components over their impossible to repair , often difficult to obtain and frequently eye wateringly costly to replace electronic counterparts .

Setting the popular green lobby aside for a moment , what benefit does an electronic engine shutoff mechanism achieve , to cite just one minor example , that a length of brazing rod attached to the fuel pump cannot ? … or what ultimate advantage does a prone to failure electric window motor have over a winding handle .

I do realise of course that I’m a dinosaur , as fancy motors don’t turn me on fortunately and I currently trundle around , getting under everyone’s feet in a 20 year old Citröen C15 van whose electrically dependant components consist solely of ignition , lights and wipers … Not a great deal to go ■■■■ up there then , and up to press , I always manage to get to wherever it is I’m going to … albeit often an hour or so behind the flash gits .

I fully expect to be shot down , crash and burn for my views , but how would those Middle East veterans , such as yourself , have managed in 1970 if they’d had to rely solely on the technology built into motors manufactured post 2020 ?

I had to laugh at your interpretation of the initials IFA though , I may even consider stencilling those letters onto the back of my jalopy .

Cheers . Eddie .

Eddie Heaton:
I must bow to your superior knowledge regarding Eastern European motors Ro , as I personally have no experience in that particular area .

My late friend however , who was born in Vilnius and lived the better part of his years under communist rule , frequently attempted to convince me that although a number of East German produced vehicles , such as the Trabant for instance , as they they were obviously essentially basic and subsequently treated with disdain and laughed at in the west , were in fact bullet-proof , reliable and simple to maintain .

I’ve never had the opportunity to put his theory to the test unfortunately , although I am an avid fan of standardisation , inasmuch as I much prefer the reliability and ease of maintenance of mechanical components over their impossible to repair , often difficult to obtain and frequently eye wateringly costly to replace electronic counterparts .

Setting the popular green lobby aside for a moment , what benefit does an electronic engine shutoff mechanism achieve , to cite just one minor example , that a length of brazing rod attached to the fuel pump cannot ? … or what ultimate advantage does a prone to failure electric window motor have over a winding handle .

I do realise of course that I’m a dinosaur , as fancy motors don’t turn me on fortunately and I currently trundle around , getting under everyone’s feet in a 20 year old Citröen C15 van whose electrically dependant components consist solely of ignition , lights and wipers … Not a great deal to go ■■■■ up there then , and up to press , I always manage to get to wherever it is I’m going to … albeit often an hour or so behind the flash gits .

I fully expect to be shot down , crash and burn for my views , but how would those Middle East veterans , such as yourself , have managed in 1970 if they’d had to rely solely on the technology built into motors manufactured post 2020 ?

I had to laugh at your interpretation of the initials IFA though , I may even consider stencilling those letters onto the back of my jalopy .

Cheers . Eddie .

I’m with you there Eddie. The ante has been upped and upped and upped, using all sorts of excuses to squeeze more money out of the industry. Operators with little spare cash could rely on over-engineered but under-stressed equipment. But the money makers know we always want more, shinier, faster, bigger (and now greener) stuff.

As for the safer option of a door-mounted window winder; for a long time Germany didn’t permit electric driver’s-side windows for the very reason you cite. And by the same legislation, they didn’t allow small steering wheels either, to ensure you could get out of trouble if your power-steering packed up. Most sensible (and is why we had such big steering wheels in our Mercs and MANs long after the opposition went boy-racer!).

ERF-NGC-European:

Eddie Heaton:

My late friend however , who was born in Vilnius and lived the better part of his years under communist rule , frequently attempted to convince me that although a number of East German produced vehicles , such as the Trabant for instance , as they they were obviously essentially basic and subsequently treated with disdain and laughed at in the west , were in fact bullet-proof , reliable and simple to maintain .

Cheers . Eddie .

I’m with you there Eddie. The ante has been upped and upped and upped, using all sorts of excuses to squeeze more money out of the industry. Operators with little spare cash could rely on over-engineered but under-stressed equipment. But the money makers know we always want more, shinier, faster, bigger (and now greener) stuff.

As for the safer option of a door-mounted window winder; for a long time Germany didn’t permit electric driver’s-side windows for the very reason you cite. And by the same legislation, they didn’t allow small steering wheels either, to ensure you could get out of trouble if your power-steering packed up. Most sensible (and is why we had such big steering wheels in our Mercs and MANs long after the opposition went boy-racer!).

I am with you too. I still use a 1998 Tdi Defender. Really very basic and plods on relentlessly. No sensors to play up and barely any electrics! My kids all have moderns, both hibrids and ICE, and love them. But my grandkids always beg to ride in the Defender in preference to Dad’s cars…

Another one that agrees with you, Eddie. We bought our Mitsubishi Magna new in 2001. It does have electronincs, but like the the all singing, all dancing new one’s that drive you nuts with beepers and lights that serve only to distract and annoy. I used to love our old 1996 Fairmont Ghia wagon. Loads of room, comfy ride and helped keep servos in business with petrol sales. :smiley:
She had to go when we couldn’t afford or justify having two cars, and being the oldest…

Buzzer

Lawrence Dunbar:
Welcome to TNUK Scottie, Larry.

Thank you Larry, Bill.

Buzzer

Loch Lomond 016.JPG

I wonder who supplied that MG as our dealership were agents for MG?

Pete.

windrush:
I wonder who supplied that MG as our dealership were agents for MG?

Pete.

Well Ive had this MG For over 20 years, Sadly I never new who the supplier was, Its a Reading reg, Larry

Loch Lomond 015.JPG

Thanks to ERF-NGC-European, Buzzer and Lawrence Dunbar for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also the craic going well :smiley:
Oily
Credit to Carl Spencer for this photo which looks like a load of sugar beet.

Credit to 35mmMan for this fine photo.
Oily