Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Suedehead:

remy:
NMP. Schnieder replaced the old Transtar’s with these International 9670 cabovers. It’s hooked to a 48 ’ trailer which were quite common in the 80’s.

Am i the only one that thinks that those kind of trailers, are ready to buckle in the middle with a bit of weight on

Yes they will collapse if loaded too heavy in the middle. They don’t have a chassis as they’re a monocoque (think that’s the right word) construction.

I thought this was a rather attractive paint job. My Volvo to the right, taken from the Range Rover I’d just purchased in Victoria and was about load, to transport home to Queensland.

Buzzer

remy:

Suedehead:

remy:

NMP. Schnieder replaced the old Transtar’s with these International 9670 cabovers. It’s hooked to a 48 ’ trailer which were quite common in the 80’s.

Am i the only one that thinks that those kind of trailers, are ready to buckle in the middle with a bit of weight on

Yes they will collapse if loaded too heavy in the middle. They don’t have a chassis as they’re a monocoque (think that’s the right word) construction.

The old tandem axle, TIP boxes we used were chassis-less. The box was made of aluminium ribbed panels riveted together. They used to creak and groan with a bit of…heavyish…groupage inside them. Always had dirty black marks on the outside from the rivetheads, as the wear used to create a little dust.
Surprised they lasted as long as they did given the abuse they took, but never actually saw one break it`s back.

Buzzer:
Buzzer

You sure can “dig em up” John that’s a great shot of the J B Hudson Octopus which by my reckoning would have been an early '50’s shot of an ex BRS motor that they would have bought, with A licence, when they re entered road haulage at the time of de nationalisation it has a Newcastle reg no.
J B Hudson during the late 40’s and the 50’s was apparently run with an iron hand my Maggie Bowman the daughter of old JB who had passed away.
Hudsons were Leyland Agents via their Repair and heavy recovery business which mainly operated the old A6 trunk road between Lancaster and Shap fell summit. There haulage fleet consisted of 4 Octopus 8 wheelers and one ERF 4 wheeler and their main traffics out of the area were a lot of Barrow Steel and work out of Libbys and James Cropper’s Mill as well as Scottish & Newcastle Kendal Brewery and a couple of Engineering works in the town and then of course plenty of sea washed turf and limestone rockery from the area. They had so much traffic that they also subbed much of the work to many other local hauliers and I have a hand written traffic book dating back to those days listing all the subby loads and the rates paid less 10% in each case !
In 1960 just at the time they put the last new Octopus on the road Maggie passed away suddenly so Raymond her Son disposed of the haulage side to Athersmith Bros of Barrow in Furness who in turn sold it to Davy & Co in 1966 and 10 years later in 1976 I bought all of Davys transport assets including the depot and among these were the last three J B Hudson liveried motors , an ERF 6 wheeler flat a Leyland Riever ( Bathgate cab) 6 wheeler flat and a Seddon 32/4 RR unit.
Returning to 1960 and the original 5 JBH fleet their 5 drivers were Tot Baldwin ,Arthur Physackly, Ted Lowe, Norman Hutton and Willie Ferguson .
Only Norman Hutton carried on with Athersmiths as Tot and Ted went into the repair side of the business, Arthur started a car driving school and Willie started at Inter City Transport on their Carnation contract. Incidentally Willie’s eldest daughter Christine was my first full time office staff who I took on in 1972.
Sorry to ramble on a bit but they were apparently interesting times but before my time as I can only relate to what I was told as well as the info I picked up in 1976 when I acquired the remnants of the JBH business although I was a good pal of Ted Lowe for many years and he used relate to me many stories about the old JBH outfit and his time on one of the Octopus 8 wheelers !

Actually Dennis KNF is a Manchester reg no from September 1949 to November 1950 but no doubt from the same source you mentioned. Franky.

Geordielad:
Actually Dennis KNF is a Manchester reg no from September 1949 to November 1950 but no doubt from the same source you mentioned. Franky.

Thanks for the correction Franky I must have read the old reg no. lists wrong ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

This picture is at the location from where I have sent several pictures of mainly Spanish
lorries delivering fruit & veg from Almeria and Murcia provinces in south east Spain to
Florette fruit packaging factory at Martland Park, Wigan. In the recent past, this long
wheelbase motor caravan has been parked at this spot, and it makes me wonder, Is it a
base for the mainly Spanish drivers parking overnight, prior to occupying their sleeper
cabs for a nights sleep ?.

Ray.

remy:

Suedehead:

remy:

In contrast the flatbeds wouldn’t break that easily, credit to Raymond Clarke for the photos.
Oily

Ray Smyth:
This picture is at the location from where I have sent several pictures of mainly Spanish
lorries delivering fruit & veg from Almeria and Murcia provinces in south east Spain to
Florette fruit packaging factory at Martland Park, Wigan. In the recent past, this long
wheelbase motor caravan has been parked at this spot, and it makes me wonder, Is it a
base for the mainly Spanish drivers parking overnight, prior to occupying their sleeper
cabs for a nights sleep ?.

Ray.

Hi Ray a German made Hobby 750 FMS TAG Axle 4.5 ton + payload 1997ish or later power 2.5 or 2.8 Fiat engine front wheel drive… stay on the tarmac :laughing:

Thanks to Buzzer, remy, Tyneside, Ray Smyth, servo88, Dennis Javelin, DIG, Star down under and Bewick for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also Star down under for the link :smiley:
Oily
Bit of chat about hooks uk vs rails australia something different stateside. Credit to Raymond Clarke for the photo.

oiltreader:
Thanks to Buzzer, remy, Tyneside, Ray Smyth, servo88, Dennis Javelin, DIG, Star down under and Bewick for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: also Star down under for the link :smiley:
Oily
Bit of chat about hooks uk vs rails australia something different stateside. Credit to Raymond Clarke for the photo.

Very good, but personally I have never carried any wheeled vehicle without at least one tyre each side being looped over and stressed both fore and aft. Even if it is only a rope with a double dolly, That is what I did with the stacks I did to Ostend for Cheveralls (+ropes over the top) and even the tri-stacked 60 footers we brought back from Bridgend for Econofreight (+chains over the top).

Spardo:

oiltreader:
Oily

Very good, but personally I have never carried any wheeled vehicle without at least one tyre each side being looped over and stressed both fore and aft. Even if it is only a rope with a double dolly, That is what I did with the stacks I did to Ostend for Cheveralls (+ropes over the top) and even the tri-stacked 60 footers we brought back from Bridgend for Econofreight (+chains over the top).

Hi Spardo
hooks uk vs rails australia something different stateside
load securing, another option was the point of the post and heading for Octogenarianism is no excuse :laughing:
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

Not much point in putting a rub rail on the trailer to protect the straps if you put the straps on the outside. :confused:

oiltreader:
Oily

My 2 bobs worth I would say that drivers are relying on the spring brakes to stop the top trailers from moving in my day we chained between the dual wheels on each side but i see nowadays straps are being used in all sorts of ways , I think here in Oz common sense has fell over board again where its about checking by transport officers or the police the restraint is checked to see if its rated enough not how the load is retained. :confused: :confused:

Dig

Fully agree Dig, I often see straps used where I’d use chains. How many drivers can tie a Truckie’s hitch, these days? Not that ropes are legal any more.
Re securing a trailer atop of another, I’ve always chained between the dual on trailer and dolly, if no dolly, cross chained from the chassis/top of the legs. I’ve never had to do it, but if fitted with alloy rims, I assume a decent thickness of rubber would be needed to protect the rim from the chain.

Star down under.:
Fully agree Dig, I often see straps used where I’d use chains. How many drivers can tie a Truckie’s hitch, these days? Not that ropes are legal any more.
Re securing a trailer atop of another, I’ve always chained between the dual on trailer and dolly, if no dolly, cross chained from the chassis/top of the legs. I’ve never had to do it, but if fitted with alloy rims, I assume a decent thickness of rubber would be needed to protect the rim from the chain.

I too have never had to scratch the head with alloys SDU Guess the easy way out would be to cross chain off the front axle of the tri or bogey and leave the alloys to sparkle in the sun.

As a foot note what can happen if not held by at least one restraint when setting up to unload we had a fella on a rig move took all his chains off then roared over the lease to the pole truck which was lifting trailers off for us hit the brakes the the bottom half stopped the top didn’t he had to find his swag to sleep in as his bunk was a tad untidy.

Dig

DIG:

Star down under.:

I too have never had to scratch the head with alloys SDU Guess the easy way out would be to cross chain off the front axle of the tri or bogey and leave the alloys to sparkle in the sun.

As a foot note what can happen if not held by at least one restraint when setting up to unload we had a fella on a rig move took all his chains off then roared over the lease to the pole truck which was lifting trailers off for us hit the brakes the the bottom half stopped the top didn’t he had to find his swag to sleep in as his bunk was a tad untidy.

Dig

My point entirely, anything with wheels can move given only half a chance, just pulling down as hard as you can whatever you use is not enough. We were lucky at Cheveralls, no chains available, so I roped every hook over the top and then tethered the wheels as I described. There was only a very small road distance to travel, a little bit to Dover and then off into the dock at Ostend, but who knows what the Channel would provide in the way of giving you a bad day?

And I was nowhere near being an octogenarian in those days, more like a tricenarian. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Buzzer

Spardo:

DIG:

Star down under.:

Dig

My point entirely, anything with wheels can move given only half a chance, just pulling down as hard as you can whatever you use is not enough. We were lucky at Cheveralls, no chains available, so I roped every hook over the top and then tethered the wheels as I described. There was only a very small road distance to travel, a little bit to Dover and then off into the dock at Ostend, but who knows what the Channel would provide in the way of giving you a bad day?

And I was nowhere near being an octogenarian in those days, more like a tricenarian. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

OK what I was trying to highlight was the method used to tighten the straps looks like some type of winding ratcheted cylinder.
Oily