Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

essexpete:
From a driver’s perspective, how was the old BMC derived G cab viewed compared with the Ergo?

Out of all the motors I had I’d say it was the best,n I thought the Ergo was a decent bit of kit. Cheers coomsey

coomsey:

essexpete:
From a driver’s perspective, how was the old BMC derived G cab viewed compared with the Ergo?

Out of all the motors I had I’d say it was the best,n I thought the Ergo was a decent bit of kit. Cheers coomsey

In '64/'65ish I was given a new BMC(Morris) FJ (a revelation from the well worn Comet LAD cab I had). and in '67 I was given a new Ergo Mercury so for comparsion and talking cab comfort it would defo be the G cab, almost flat floor, spacious and sitting a bit higher than the Ergo but the BMC FJ cab did not have the “solid” build quality of the AEC cab. As for the mechanicals a choice of comfort with breakdowns or less comfort with reliabilty. My experience others may differ.
Oily

Thanks to Buzzer, essexpete, windrush, lurpak and pyewacket947v for the photos :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Jack’s Cafe 2013 photos credit to Flicktone, no idea what the Judd wagon is a guess at Ford?.

Flicktone Basingstoke 2013 8748284750_198363d72f_b.jpg

Flicktone Basingstoke 2013 8735822330_85478d8b31_b.jpg

Going on the road today, lucky drivers, Buzzer

Greetings.All.
Ref. Mac’s Café,the vehicle is a Morris Commercial,once favoured by the then G.P.O.Telephones.
Regards to all,900x20. :smiley:

900X20:
Greetings.All.
Ref. Mac’s Café,the vehicle is a Morris Commercial,once favoured by the then G.P.O.Telephones.
Regards to all,900x20. :smiley:

This pic is the one in question 900x200, the Judd motor.
Cheers
Oily

Flicktone Basingstoke 2013 8748284750_198363d72f_b.jpg

Greetings,All.Ref.the Judd motor,I stand corrected. I remarked on the wrong photo.Apologies for that.It could be a Ford as you say. Did Chevrolet make a similar model too in WW2? Regards,900x20.

Tuesdays selection, Buzzer

900X20:
Greetings,All.Ref.the Judd motor,I stand corrected. I remarked on the wrong photo.Apologies for that.It could be a Ford as you say. Did Chevrolet make a similar model too in WW2? Regards,900x20.

It’s a Canadian Ford as I found a pic of it at another rally where it won first prize. Not sure if it was ever one of Judd’s though, however I remember seeing a similar one of Judd’s in action felling trees when they widened the A329 past our house back in the sixties and the second pic is one of theirs. Judd’s were a long established company in the Reading area doing heavy haulage and also removals going back to steam days and had a sawmill at Spencers Wood.

NMP

51440772745_4f55d3499b.jpg NMP

Pete.

900X20:

They were CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) made to a standard specification by Ford and Chev. Grilles/bonnets were a different shape on the two makes, that one looks to be a Ford but the snout has been extended forwards and upwards presumably to fit the Perkins in place of the original V8 petrol.
Bernard

albion1938:

900X20:

They were CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) made to a standard specification by Ford and Chev. Grilles/bonnets were a different shape on the two makes, that one looks to be a Ford but the snout has been extended forwards and upwards presumably to fit the Perkins in place of the original V8 petrol.
Bernard

there’s a tank bloke on you tube called the chieftain , does videos of military equipment in detail ( x tank commander us army) , he did a video on a CMP lorry , he couldn’t get his right leg in to to actually drive the thing. i’ve got a book at home on WW2 vehicles and there were several types of CMP cab and some of the early ones weren’t exactly ergonomic.
tony

oiltreader:

coomsey:

essexpete:

In '64/'65ish I was given a new BMC(Morris) FJ (a revelation from the well worn Comet LAD cab I had). and in '67 I was given a new Ergo Mercury so for comparsion and talking cab comfort it would defo be the G cab, almost flat floor, spacious and sitting a bit higher than the Ergo but the BMC FJ cab did not have the “solid” build quality of the AEC cab. As for the mechanicals a choice of comfort with breakdowns or less comfort with reliabilty. My experience others may differ.
Oily

Ergo cabs, as experienced on Mammoth Majors/Marshall and Mercury,s. They where quiet compered to G cabs on Clydesdales. AECs where always a good ride which helped to regard the cab in a better light than it deserved.
Layout wise the G cab scored way over the Ergo, let down, as you point out Oily, by build quality.
The Ergo was let down by its top mounted air operated wipers, its complete lack of storage space, its vulnerable windscreen and near impossible to keep clean mirrors. AEC deserved something better.!

900X20:

Yes both Ford and Chevrolet Canada built the CMP and HUP in great numbers during WW2
Birmingham City Parks Dept where still operating a beautiful kept Chevy version into the early 60s at least.

IMG_3648.JPG

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3682.JPG

The Ford and Chevy CMP trucks were very similar but there were a few small differences to compare the two makes, the one in the photo is indeed a Ford. Ford CMP examples had the front nudge bar located behind the bumper whereas the Chevy had the bar bolted on the front of the bumper. Grille mesh patterns were different too the Fords a square pattern the Chevy used a diamond pattern. The first CMP cabbed vehicles were Number 11 cab types following similar British styling but these were found to be cramped and hot in use so the Number 12 version was built which was an improvement and had a so called Alligator Bonnet giving better engine access, the final model the Number 13 cab was the one in the photo with the forward sloped screen, this was to prevent sun reflection being spotted by enemy aircraft. The CMP’s were built in a variety of uses and weights for the military 8cwt, 15cwt, 30cwt or 3 ton and had a C for Chevrolet or F for Ford designations before the model type, for example a C30 (30cwt Chevy) or F30 for the same weight Ford, they also had a following A designation if an all wheel drive C30A, F30A. By 1945 Canada had produced almost 410, 000 CMP trucks. The largest number of them being the 3 ton versions, many of which still did great service after the war in civilian use and are still around shown at military shows. Finally Ford used their V8 Petrol engine and Chevy used the straight six. Franky.