Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Tight corners.
oily

MAN-TGA-XXL-Wallek-BigMove-25020-6.jpg

MAN-TGA-XXL-Wallek-BigMove-250207-1.jpg

MAN-TGA-XXL-Wallek-BigMove-250207-0.jpg

Merc Actros fuel efficiency test motor.
oily

Renault at the same game with Optifuel efficiency.
oily

renault optifuel efficient.jpg

Couple of old uns.
oily

Four Guys.
oily

Sutton Bank from above.
oily

A tight corner in Weldon near Corby 1959,with a Thor missile en route to it’s emplacement.RAF Hippo on front,steerer on back.

To end todays lot here’s a couple from Australia.
oily

oiltreader:
To end todays lot here’s a couple from Australia.
oily

Both of these are familiar to me. The B61 Thermodyne, of course, but also the Oshkosh.

I was taxi driving in Sydney and saw one parked in a side street, trailered and freighted, driver at the wheel, ready for the off, to Melbourne nearly 900 kms away. He was an OD and was looking for a mate, 1800k up and back, was wearing him down.

I had stopped because I’d never seen such an animal before, asked him if I could climb up and have a chat. He was happy to talk but when I saw that tiny, narrow, tin cab with not an ounce of comfort inside the narrow screen and side windows, I decided to stick to cabbying, for the time being!

Strange though, I was always up for a challenge, something different. In some ways I regret it now, after all, how many have driven an Oshkosh flat out for 900 k, this wasn’t tank transporting. :laughing:

Could’ve saved yerself some mileage & taken a trip to Bulford to pilot an Osh,David…they tell me they even throw in a uniform? :laughing:

oiltreader:
Sutton Bank from above.
oily

Early 60’s I took a loaded 8 wheel Atki UP there, (rock salt from Winsford, naughty naughty I don’t think there was a ban on HGV’s at that time) 150 Gardner, David Brown box. Half the load was to tip half way up the bank the rest of it at the top. I put it in #1 at the bottom of the bank and just let it do it’s job, no problem, it sailed up.

Thats where a lot of blokes went wrong on Mont Cenis ,they mucked up the gear changes instead of sticking to one gear up the montain & one gear down.

Sticking with Oshkosh.
oily

Another couple of wreckers.
oily

Working Volvo and Scania.
oily

Transcontinentals go forth.
oily

Autolift Engineering at Stanley.
oily

Pictures unverified so withdrawn
oily

Brakes failed on hill in China when running coal at 50ton gvw.
oily

AECs of Smith and Robinson, which I’ve cropped from an old advert.
On second thoughts here’s the uncropped version as well.
oily