Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

This appears in the Colin Wright Pickfords book

Steve

Dipster:

Froggy55:
I just found this on a French forum. Any information about what could be an electric tractor? Thanks.

No idea what it is. Are those UK WW2 headlights fitted? I find the most striking feature is the amazing size difference between front and rear wheels.

It’s a McLaren, a one-off built in Leeds for Pickfords in 1941.The cab was built by Charles Roe, the coachbuilders of Crossgates, Leeds. Rated at 100 tons, it ended up with Ronnie Church, a showman from Yeadon, who fitted a generating set instead of the ballast weights, and a davit crane to help in building up his rides. I think the engine was by Dorman-Ricardo, but would need to check that out.

132584028_495272018119293_1049830530038483823_n.jpg

Not my pics

Thanks to Kempston, Froggy55, Buzzer, vwvanman0 and Suedehead for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Oily
Tebay 2016.

Buzzer:
A few today, Buzzer

“YOU WOULD NOT SEE MEN IN THE RING LIKE THAT TODAY H&S STOPPED THAT”.

That photo brought back memories to me. My Mum’s family were farming folk in Sussex. I have wonderful memories to going to Steyning market and being enthralled by the auctioneers. Happy days… Thanks for posting.

1 November 1985
Snows Commercials
Vimpennys Lane Business Park
Compton Greenfield
South Gloucs
Eng

AEH 53S
Leyland Marathon
ex C J Morris of Newcastle
Craven Arms
Shrops
Eng

Thanks to all of you for the explainations concerning the Pickfords/ McLaren truck. Its engine must have been very similar to the one used under licence by Unic trucks, and also fitted on De Dion Bouton railcars of the '30s.

The cattle market scene, Buzzer

Thanks to pyewacket947v and Buzzer for the pics :smiley: :smiley: also all the craic :smiley:
Not sure what the load is, might be thatching reed, credit to eastleighbusman for the photo.
Oily

Snapped at Rownhams Services recently, credit to eastleighbusman for the photo.
Oily

A couple for Trevor(tastrucker), credit to Richard Says for the photos.
Oily

Found this this morning on her way to Korea

20210916_075929.jpg

Ade

1 November 1985
Vimpennys La Business Park
Compton Greenfield
South Gloucs
Eng

Snows Commercials
Scammell Crusader.
From the window arrangement it looks like a sleeper.
No identifying Nos, but screens still intact.
Not sure whether thats a complete Kysor shutter or not,.

011185b.jpg

Couple of old Dennis’s that I managed to get pics of today when I was down visiting the Guildford plant

Dennis Javelin:
Couple of old Dennis’s that I managed to get pics of today when I was down visiting the Guildford plant

“who cleans up a guide dogs mess?”

Are they extremely well trained perhaps?! Very good point though…

lurpak:
Found this this morning on her way to Korea
Ade

Cheltenham Sable

Thanks to all who have contributed of late I particualy liked all the stock transport and sale yard photos as most know we do it a little different here in OZ but the end result is pretty much the same for the cattle.

Just a small correction to Buzzer the blue Crusader body truck is across the water from OZ its in All Black country but I liked the pics Buzzer the Brown MB was a smart looking outfit.

Here is a page of magazine I managed to obtain which writes about one of our West australian companies which pioneered the temperature controlled freight incorporating general freight loads on weekly services to the north of the state and did a great job over some pretty awful roads at times .
Sad to say when they finished up owned by one of the global companies the quality of service deteriorated with no blame attached to the drivers and subbies who were swimming against the tide.
Click twice for a better read.
Dig

The end of the week selection, Buzzer

242032517_2257831661024418_5850226329494952829_n.png

Second helpings, Buzzer

241899673_2935804163347654_4007167404783206673_n.jpg

242195990_2258707644270153_1458279440062511421_n.png

oiltreader:
A couple for Trevor(tastrucker), credit to Richard Says for the photos.
Oily

Hello OILY ,yes indeed S M Davies from Welshpool ,they have expanded in recent years ,now running MANs and Scanias ,they seem to do a lot of work out of the Newtown area ,thank you Trevor