Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

IMG_7830.JPG

1950’s co-ordinated transport hub Glasgow style. The Gothic building on the left hand side was the entrance to the subway station. The train station on the right was demolished soon after the end of steam and is now a monstrous shopping centre with the bus station now being a pedestrianised area.

These two photos are a Jaguar fitted with a Gardner 4 LK Engine, It ran on fresh air as the saying goes, Most likley the only one ever produced, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
These two photos are a Jaguar fitted with a Gardner 4 LK Engine, It ran on fresh air as the saying goes, Most likley the only one ever produced, Regards Larry.

Does this car still exist?

Dipster:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Does this car still exist?

It existed last year! Actually I have seen it a few times, here is a pic I took some years ago.

Jaggardner 001.jpg

Pete.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Larry,hope you & your wife are ok.
Have you thought of trading the XF in part exchange for it.
Sold mine in 2016 having trouble getting in & out & the wife was not keen on driving it.
We have a Ford Ecosport 1.0 much easier to get in without hurting yourself,just miss the power.

Thanks to pyewacket947v, lurpak, servo88, Dennis Javelin, Lawrence Dunbar and windrush for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
With regard to Gardner diesel engined cars this from Wikipedia:-
During the 1930s a number of LW-series engines (usually 4LWs, but occasionally 6LWs) were installed in large luxury cars including Lagondas, Bentleys and Rolls-Royces. The Gardner engine’s reliability and economy (tests showed that even a two-ton Bentley could achieve 30 miles per gallon of fuel while having a top speed of 80 mph), coupled to its remarkable refinement and smooth running abilities, made it the only suitable compression-ignition engine at the time
Oily

What’s the bit on the back for, looks like it’s extendable. Thanks to Peter Schöler for the photos.
Oily

JPG[/attachment]

Newton Stuart 013.JPG

oiltreader:
Thanks to pyewacket947v, lurpak, servo88, Dennis Javelin, Lawrence Dunbar and windrush for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
With regard to Gardner diesel engined cars this from Wikipedia:-
During the 1930s a number of LW-series engines (usually 4LWs, but occasionally 6LWs) were installed in large luxury cars including Lagondas, Bentleys and Rolls-Royces. The Gardner engine’s reliability and economy (tests showed that even a two-ton Bentley could achieve 30 miles per gallon of fuel while having a top speed of 80 mph), coupled to its remarkable refinement and smooth running abilities, made it the only suitable compression-ignition engine at the time
Oily

I believe there was just one 6LK engine made, that was installed in a sports car (an Invicta maybe?) that a Gardner family member owned. Gingerfold will know for certain. I have seen a few Land Rovers with 4LK’s installed. One local chap had a Jaguar saloon that he fitted a four cylinder Perkins engine into, it was noisier than a Gardner though.

Pete.