Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1)

Leyland600:
Hi Oily as you probably know this AEC Marshall was often parked up overnight on The Sands at Carlisle along with a few other fridge vans frae the Buchan district. The Marshall was popular with these hauliers at that time T M Catto, S A Macraes, Gibbs and others
Cheers, Leyland 600

AEC Marshall was a great motor. It was the first motor that I ever got new , fresh out of the box, tipper body, Hendrickson rear suspension. 5177
WY reg. no.

A day out on the Fens delivery and erection assistance with this AstroTurf recycler ,not a Bewick type job as it’s not square or easy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :wink:

Been on the NA3T website found this interesting outfit.

JLC00489-20.jpg

grumpy old man:

Leyland600:
Hi Oily as you probably know this AEC Marshall was often parked up overnight on The Sands at Carlisle along with a few other fridge vans frae the Buchan district. The Marshall was popular with these hauliers at that time T M Catto, S A Macraes, Gibbs and others
Cheers, Leyland 600

AEC Marshall was a great motor. It was the first motor that I ever got new , fresh out of the box, tipper body, Hendrickson rear suspension. 5177
WY reg. no.

We had Marshall’s at our quarry before I started there and I think they were well liked, although they did like eating head gaskets and chucking the fan through the rads and performance wasn’t brilliant on hills as the gearchange was on the slow side. They were replaced with the half cab Foden’s which originally had no power steering although that was added later, possibly not as quite as comfortable but certainly more reliable and better at hillclimbing.

Pete.

Punchy Dan:
2 blue chip company lorries on Taunton Services .

Another part of the blue chip org

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Yes we’re everywhere :wink:

jshepguis:
Been on the NA3T website found this interesting outfit.

A nice looking outfit, but wouldn’t it be a tad overlength, and what about C&U regs? Also old enough to avoid import duties?

Thanks to Punchy Dan, pyewacket947v, jshepguis and robthedog for the pics :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Yes they are everywhere.
Oily

Has he been on one of the Macclesfield courses :laughing:
Oily

Punchy Dan:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Yes we’re everywhere :wink:[/quote
There is an old saying " If you can’t blow your own trumpet no one will blow it for you" Anon 1 :wink:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Yes we’re everywhere :wink:
[/quote
There is an old saying " If you can’t blow your own trumpet no one will blow it for you" Anon 1 :wink:

Denzil your the man in the know when it comes to trumpeting :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
[/quote

Denzil your the man in the know when it comes to trumpeting :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
[/quote

I couldn’t agree with you more Dan’l ! :wink: Looking at the Colour schemes and the vehicle ages of your other Family group Cos.it appears that you are trailing the field somewhat ! :blush: :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Fools & their money 
 :unamused:

Lawrence Dunbar:
:lol: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
[/quote

Evening Larry hope your well ,I’am just sampling some copper dog cheers dan’l

Punchy Dan:
Fools & their money 

But got to agree with you Dan’l when the entire fleet is written down to £1 on the balance sheet you are safe from the vagaries of the economy but if these written down assets are asked to perform “day in and day out” they wouldn’t be able to cope ! So that’s why new or near new assets have to be purchased ! The industry couldn’t run reliably by having to depend on written down equipment across the board ------ well could it ? Denzil

Hi Dan, Im pleased to see you doing OK in your haulage Co, I have decided to retire , From my part time work, Well Im 85 years old now & Ive gots of jobs at home that need sorting out, So this is the time to do it,While Im still able, Take care & stay safe Dan, Regards Larry.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
Fools & their money 

But got to agree with you Dan’l when the entire fleet is written down to £1 on the balance sheet you are safe from the vagaries of the economy but if these written down assets are asked to perform “day in and day out” they wouldn’t be able to cope ! So that’s why new or near new assets have to be purchased ! The industry couldn’t run reliably by having to depend on written down equipment across the board ------ well could it ? Denzil

When I started with Tilcon in 1975 there were a lot of owner/drivers with mostly four wheelers and just a few ‘sixes’ and hardly any eight wheelers. Some replaced them regularly, every four years or so, and in the 1988/989 period many upgraded to new six wheelers. Ford Cargo was a popular choice, my future gaffer bought a new Foden six wheeler (which he ran for fourteen years and then it did another spell with a Leicester haulier) , Malmic on here a Constructor and so on, four wheelers were getting fewer though. However when I finished in 2002 many were still running those same trucks, worked dropped off and rates didn’t rise much plus the price of fuel was going through the roof so there was no encouragement to replace old with new. Tilcons decision to sell off their own transport nationally didn’t help as the rates did usually get reviewed annually, with them gone there was no reason to change! Every big tonnage job that came along had the haulage rate cut, quarries always hit transport first before reducing their own material price, and nobody brought new vehicles any longer. Somebody (possibly Malmic?) said that there had to be new vehicles purchased as the supply of good secondhand ones would dry up eventually, I’m guessing that was why Tarmac’s scheme of buying a new vehicle through them seemed very attractive, but like most of these offers it was never quite as good as it seemed and the goalposts steadily moved closer together! :unamused:

If Dan is happy running something that does the job, can be easily repaired by him and wont hurt him too much if it has to stand idle occasionally then why not? It wont last forever though, and he always has a Dennis Pax waiting in the wings for if and when the Foden does expire. :wink: These Punchard’s are canny lads you know! However, being a Foden, it will probably see Dan right through to his retirement! :laughing:

Pete.

I think the quarry job is about done down your way Pete , the son and heir of the rigsby fortunes has been running tarmac to Cromford all week on nights from Cemex at Dove Holes . Takes me back to the 90s when the road from Tunstead past Tarmac’s Waterswallows quarry was relaid with tarmac from Ballidon , with Topley Pike 3miles away .