Parked up

As you all are aware your never goin to be a millionaire being an owner driver … There is ok money out there to be made … But if your subbing for a big firm like maritme or dfds there goin to give you as low as poss… It all depends on your circumstances… ie fiance … Wages… I did a bit on the boxes for DFDS last year … 1.32 a mile and payin good wages i think it made £50 profit on my first week … And that with no fiance on the outfit!!

jody1980:
As you all are aware your never goin to be a millionaire being an owner driver … There is ok money out there to be made … But if your subbing for a big firm like maritme or dfds there goin to give you as low as poss… It all depends on your circumstances… ie fiance … Wages… I did a bit on the boxes for DFDS last year … 1.32 a mile and payin good wages i think it made £50 profit on my first week … And that with no fiance on the outfit!!

Jody, as you know I’ve been finished a month now, NO regrets at all !! My motor was paid for years ago and I struggled over the last few months,
I don’t know how you survive paying wages and trying to make a profit. Best wishes for the future. Regards Kev.

Just gone over to road miles from radials with 1 of the big aggregate companies. On the first 2 days I am down just under £19 with a 6w and my 8w was down £13.80 on just Tuesday, and make no bones about it we were not doing too well before. I hope they come to their senses soon else we will be gone.

mark j robinson:
So what is the answer…■■
Stobbies probably put more family firms out of business in recent times than anyone in history
Maritime are doing exactly the same to get the biggest customers now
And a driver who is desperate for a few quid to pay the bills is not going to turn down a days work that is a bit less than the usual rate
We are all guilty because we don’t have the attitude the French have

It’s not just the likes of ESL that put hauliers out of business. They have taken the full load trade for sure - but the pallet systems can do part loads/odd pallets for a hell of a lot less than any haulier can do it - and with a lot less hassle too. The hauliers that signed up to pallet systems are still doing very nicely thank you, while the rest are struggling to find any work that pays.

Santas right about pallet network hauliers. I used to work for a firm who were in pallex. One pallet herts to yorks £40. Upto 5-6 boards was about 200. Had a nice customer base. Wasn’t unheard of to do a groupage load, 5-6 drops in the north worth over a grand. All customers think they got a good deal, company getting about £5 per mile

have some posts been deleted from this thread?

shuttlespanker:

yes good job as well and we will leave it at that.

jessicas dad:

shuttlespanker:

yes good job as well and we will leave it at that.

was just asking as i have been out all morning :wink:

shuttlespanker:

yes :wink:

Think you’ve got something in your eye’s! :wink:

[/quote]
It’s not just the likes of ESL that put hauliers out of business. They have taken the full load trade for sure - but the pallet systems can do part loads/odd pallets for a hell of a lot less than any haulier can do it - and with a lot less hassle too. The hauliers that signed up to pallet systems are still doing very nicely thank you, while the rest are struggling to find any work that pays.
[/quote]
Thats not true everywhere - it might be in the midlands, there are some hauliers in SE of england who send traucks into their hubs with 5 pallets on and have massive inbalances in workload ie they deliver 3 times as many palleit as they put into the system. I lost work to a local co who charges £40 per pallet anywhere south of Glasgow/Edinburgh

They get 65-80 pallets to deliver yet only manage on average 20-25 pallets -off their own backs. One of the fellow members offers someof it’s customers a rate of £17 per pallet !! if they give it 10 at £30