Parcel Force/Royal Mail C+E driving: Good/Bad/Ugly?

sammym:

HOP 2 IT:

sammym:

HOP 2 IT:
I work for them via an agency and it’s the best job I’ve ever had. I do night trunking, which consists only of parking on bays and trailer swapping. agency night pay is £15.25/hr, and increases at Christmas to £18 I think. 8-12 hour shifts, fleet is all dafs 66, 67 plate, traffic office are very helpful and happy. All the other drivers I’ve met have praised it.

However I do know it’s extremely rare that they advertise externally. My depot in the west mids for example last advertised in 2010 lol. It’s a job for life.

I go past there most days - pertemps have a big sign outside saying up to £18 an hour or something.

It’s a job I’d fancy doing if I’m honest. But I don’t have two years experience which I’d guess they would demand.

Lovely depot - but wouldn’t want to walk to the bus stop after work in that area. The aldi across the road is gangsta special.

2 years experience isn’t necessary, I’ve only had my class 1 for 2 months lol.

Just got off the phone to Pertemps. I need to go to their driving academy as I’m not experienced enough. Unpaid - but I’m actually okay with that.

I don’t enjoy driving class 2 as much since I’ve started class 1. And I’d like to be a class 1 only man. But I lack some confidence especially blindside reversing. I can do it - but I take a long time. I probably get out and check about 15 times. So if they can help me nail blindsides then it will be a good day.

Then I’ve got an assessment.

Presuming I do all that and pass. I’ll shoot you a message. We’d be working at the same depot. I’d be weekend only - but I’m sure our paths will cross.

Driving academy… Don’t bother lad you could find plenty of jobs in and around Croydon that won’t take the ■■■■ out of you.

Here’s one for ya.

I wonder if that job is one of those ads that expect you to do 60 hours work in 35… and then pay you for the 35, pro rata based on a 60 hour week… :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

So you turn up for the job with ££££ signs in your eyes - and end up on a lower takehome pay than a bus driver “£500 per week (with overtime)”… The original lie on the side of the bus… :stuck_out_tongue:

Just seen an agency ad for one of their depots:
.Rates vary between £11-£16 per hour on Days and between £13-£16 per hour on Nights.
After 12 weeeks there will be a flat rate of £16 per hour on Days and £20 per hour on Nights.

I would apply, but I’m worried about my taco - last time I went there for an assessment (before last Christmas) I didn’t even manage to get into a unit because they put my taco in the reader and said I had too many ‘live’ infringements.
They said something about them being ‘live’ for thirty days - did that mean ‘prosecutable’? I dunno.

SouthEastCashew:
Here’s one for ya.

Delivering potatoes round London? In this baking weather you’d be roasting!

Are there any differences between areas around the countries, or are these supplying agencies like Pertemps paying a “National Rate” now?

I’m trying to work out if it is better to push it before the end of the year, or leave it until the new year - so that only the actual proper jobs remain, of which there will be few, but a lot quieter I would imagine. :confused:

I’ve got a full time job at the moment, but am looking to jump ship - but need to get the timing right, assuming the posts regarding money are accurate and relelent nationwide by this point.

I’m interested in working out of most of the VOCs in the North Kent/London area. I’d rather not have to cross the river, as that implies extra expense every commute.

My old stomping ground of Rochester would be the nearest to me, but Gatwick would be a good “2nd best”, should there still be enough people at Rochester who “don’t want me there” - let’s say… :stuck_out_tongue:

tedb12:

truckman020:
one of my ex work colleagues worked at royal mail Dorcan [Swindon]as an agency driver,they ran him ragged always nearly 14/15 hr shifts and it was only night work,you could not get days at all which I applied for,i was told by the agency ‘‘yeah no problem at all for days’’ so I registered,turned out to be a load of tosh,everytime they phoned it was for nights only which I don’t do,never heard from them again after about 3 weeks of turning down nights,typical agency,they lie to get you on their books.

Same here, I would only be interested in working days as I hate night driving (and I’ve also been on the receiving end of the agencies who constantly try to bring you into line with what THEY want or lump it)
I’d like to know what the day shifts are like and if they stagger the start times to keep it from getting monotonous.

that’s just it though,it’s like dead man’s shoes their drivers get first pick on shifts when it’s days [which is right if you are full time as a driver]

Does anyone know of which VOCs have the "biggest shortage of drivers willing to work nights, weekends, and the longer than 10 hour shifts? :confused: :question:

What rates are they paying?

Which agencies are currently supplying?

You seem pretty desperate to want to work for a parcel firm so here’s one of the agencies advertising for ■■■■ knows who in Southall I’m sure someone will be able to tell ya.

Edit: looks like DPD.

“Potential of working every other weekened?” - No mention of “Overtime Available” :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Are we talking a 5-6-5-6 here then for flat money? :frowning:

Is the trailer swap actually going to be ready within a reasonable time frame of arrival and dropping of the outbound trailer for Brum Airport?

Driving academy… Don’t bother lad you could find plenty of jobs in and around Croydon that won’t take the ■■■■ out of you.

Its only a 6 hour day with an assessor just to pass you off as a safe driver. It’s a great opportunity for a newly pass (like I was) to ask questions and learn.

HOP 2 IT:

Its only a 6 hour day with an assessor just to pass you off as a safe driver. It’s a great opportunity for a newly pass (like I was) to ask questions and learn.

Agreed.

It’s free - and most of us paid a lot of money for training. If they are willing to take you out in their artic and give you lessons for free I think it’s a good thing for new drivers. I know my blindsiding is shocking - and my normal reversing is a bit below average. So I am well up for some free training.

sammym most peoples blind side reversing is shocking mine included dont stress over it if it goes in it doesnt matter how long it takes, provided u dont hit owt of course :wink:

That “Time Pressure” on blindside reversing is the thing…

We’re all told that we can “get out and look” as many times as we like…

Funny no one actually takes them up on that though!

I’ve seen a lot more “driver’s mirror on adjacent artic on bay” taken off than I’ve seen “trainees get out and look” let’s say…

I’d have hooted them, when I could see contact was imminment, - but alas the horn doesn’t work when my own keys are on the hook… I can’t even wind down my window and shout “Watch out!” with subtitles, either of course. :stuck_out_tongue:

Shunt it. If you ain’t sure - shunt it again.
The penalties come from hitting stuff - not from taking ages doing it!

Hi,my brother worked out of Wishaw via agency and said it was the easiest job he ever had
Also said all the RM drivers do is ■■■■■ and whine about everything and wouldn’t last 5 minutes driving for most companies.
As someone else has said they don’t take on drivers direct and you need to work your way up from being a postie
Duncan

Also the RM/agencies will now be looking to start their Christmas/peak recruitment, so they have bodies in place by October.

Back before I got a HGV licence (or even a Car licence!) - I was employed by RM full time starting in JANUARY.

I would suggest the most meaningful “Long term” jobs prospects then - are those firms that do the same - and take one on in JANUARY.

You know you are not going to be discarded “in january after the Christmas rush” - if you don’t start until Janaury in the first place - right?

What is the current story with the 12 weeks before getting parity pay thing?

If you go straight in at top dollar via agency now, then RM can recruit people for christmas cover later in the year than “the end of September” or whatever.

All I have to get past to get back in there myself - is the managers who had taken a dislike to me for one reason or another.

I don’t want a full time job. I just want the premium pay for whatever hours I do there, regardless of how many shifts per week (if any!) I could end up getting.

If I could, I’d work long shifts on weekends and mondays, and semi-retire! 3x12 hours or even 3x15 hours - I don’t mind. 45 hours per week at £16ph+ would do me, actually… £720 notes, takehome around £600pw for a 3 day week. What’s not-to-like?

sammym:

HOP 2 IT:

sammym:

HOP 2 IT:
I work for them via an agency and it’s the best job I’ve ever had. I do night trunking, which consists only of parking on bays and trailer swapping. agency night pay is £15.25/hr, and increases at Christmas to £18 I think. 8-12 hour shifts, fleet is all dafs 66, 67 plate, traffic office are very helpful and happy. All the other drivers I’ve met have praised it.

However I do know it’s extremely rare that they advertise externally. My depot in the west mids for example last advertised in 2010 lol. It’s a job for life.

I go past there most days - pertemps have a big sign outside saying up to £18 an hour or something.

It’s a job I’d fancy doing if I’m honest. But I don’t have two years experience which I’d guess they would demand.

Lovely depot - but wouldn’t want to walk to the bus stop after work in that area. The aldi across the road is gangsta special.

2 years experience isn’t necessary, I’ve only had my class 1 for 2 months lol.

Sammyn

I have just messaged you…

Cheers

Just got off the phone to Pertemps. I need to go to their driving academy as I’m not experienced enough. Unpaid - but I’m actually okay with that.

I don’t enjoy driving class 2 as much since I’ve started class 1. And I’d like to be a class 1 only man. But I lack some confidence especially blindside reversing. I can do it - but I take a long time. I probably get out and check about 15 times. So if they can help me nail blindsides then it will be a good day.

Then I’ve got an assessment.

Presuming I do all that and pass. I’ll shoot you a message. We’d be working at the same depot. I’d be weekend only - but I’m sure our paths will cross.

Sharp - I’ve got youe message but cannot respond to it. For some reason I’m not sure about I’ve been deemed to be a negative influence on these fine forums so have certain privileges denied.

In terms of RM and the Pertemps assessments.

First the assessment. I passed/failed it under the caveat I went back and did another day unpaid with them (wasn’t over impressed with the trainer). I wasn’t that interested so didn’t. Which meant no RM work for me. I found a supermarket gig that paid better so stuck with that at the time.

However I know plenty of lads who have done it. Tbh it’s not a terrible job if you like that sort of thing. Don’t expect a lot of overtime, and realize the best runs will be given to the RM drivers. Rates are spot on however. The work is meant to be easy and doesn’t involve an awful lot of effort. However they don’t take kindly to any mistakes.

Looking back at that post with a bit more class 1 experience… Well today I had to do a tightish blindside. I ended up asking one driver to shunt forward, and still got out 3 times to check. I reckon the only thing experience has taught me is that I should chill out and not worry about it. Reversing an artic comes with time. I’ve delivered to the parcelforce international depot a few times - and all I can say is that you don’t have to be a tip top driver there to get it on a bay. You could probs land a plane tbh. Same goes for other RM depots I’ve seen.

I’d say go for it mate. Worst case you don’t like it and you jump to the next agency gig. There is plenty about. I’ve gone from supermarkets to general haulage and am pretty happy atm.

sammym:
Sharp - I’ve got youe message but cannot respond to it. For some reason I’m not sure about I’ve been deemed to be a negative influence on these fine forums so have certain privileges denied.

In terms of RM and the Pertemps assessments.

First the assessment. I passed/failed it under the caveat I went back and did another day unpaid with them (wasn’t over impressed with the trainer). I wasn’t that interested so didn’t. Which meant no RM work for me. I found a supermarket gig that paid better so stuck with that at the time.

However I know plenty of lads who have done it. Tbh it’s not a terrible job if you like that sort of thing. Don’t expect a lot of overtime, and realize the best runs will be given to the RM drivers. Rates are spot on however. The work is meant to be easy and doesn’t involve an awful lot of effort. However they don’t take kindly to any mistakes.

Looking back at that post with a bit more class 1 experience… Well today I had to do a tightish blindside. I ended up asking one driver to shunt forward, and still got out 3 times to check. I reckon the only thing experience has taught me is that I should chill out and not worry about it. Reversing an artic comes with time. I’ve delivered to the parcelforce international depot a few times - and all I can say is that you don’t have to be a tip top driver there to get it on a bay. You could probs land a plane tbh. Same goes for other RM depots I’ve seen.

I’d say go for it mate. Worst case you don’t like it and you jump to the next agency gig. There is plenty about. I’ve gone from supermarkets to general haulage and am pretty happy atm.

Now that’s a post from a novice and well explained
Best stick to what you know