Pacific Intermountain Express (PIE International)

hows about these ? :smiley:

and these … not my pics by the way, taken off web !

that last F89 pic ALP 60S is cosecutive to my F89 ALP 61S which i am currently restoring :smiley:

I saw a PIE rag sided trailer near SLC Utah the other week, looked brand new.

I wouldn’t be cross with you “fly sheet” if you brought it back for me ?!!! :slight_smile:

I promise to be quicker with the camera next time scrapper :slight_smile:

scrapper:
that last F89 pic ALP 60S is cosecutive to my F89 ALP 61S which i am currently restoring :smiley:

I could be wrong but I think I went to Ankara in that F89 PIE truck in1976 will dig out the old albums next week

Hi davidb1962.I remember sitting in a PIE DAF with Jeff having a meal together in Turkey one trip.Mike

PIE_LayBycopy-thumb-448x310-110547.jpg

MIXED082A-1.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg

6.jpg

img277.jpg

robthedog:
Nice pic

Hi all…
I can add two little snippets to this thread…
In the early 70’s I was living in West London , near Heathrow Airport.
P.I.E. Had a base on North Hyde Lane , on the border of Heston / Southall. Not far from Western Market, although that wasn’t there then!
I lived about a hundred yards away and would see their trucks regularly. I was a lowly air freight driver at the time and recall being mightily impressed by their rigs, with all the M/E kit on them and the striking tilts with belly tanks.

Fast forward to 1979/80 and I was living in Hampshire. Whilst driving along the M27 near Fareham , I noticed two P.I.E. units parked abou 500 yards away from the motorway. Out of curiosity I tracked them down that weekend and discovered who their owner was. We got talking and I ended up walking away from there with a job.
One of the units was the exact one in the picture, the other one I think was the next consecutive number. For some reason I recall that they had about 300,000 on the clock.
Myself and Robin Bartlett ( who some will know on the Long Lost Southampton Haulier thread ) drove them down to Lisbon . I had a P.I.E. tilt and Robin iirc one from a company in Flitwick Beds that I forget the name of.
I seem to remember that they were a great truck to drive , with a great gearbox. And of course there wasn’t much else you’d need in terms of in cab facilities.
I did two further trips and then the DAFS were sold and replaced by new Macks. I think on “V” plates so 1981 was it? There was an article and pictures in Truck magazine at the time.

All the best. Baldrick.

Not sure the pic attached. The registration was NKX 576P. .

Is that “The National” Belgrade I see?

Or one of the road houses between Belgrade and Nis. Perhaps the ‘Lemon Tree’?

hutpik:
Hi davidb1962.I remember sitting in a PIE DAF with Jeff having a meal together in Turkey one trip.Mike

Mike
Is the Jeff you refer to the late Jeff Ruggins?
I think I remember he worked for them for a while, but not sure for how long.

John McVey:
Is that “The National” Belgrade I see?

Hey John,
How’s things? will email you during the week.

Be bad.

Hi josh.Yes it was Jeff Ruggins i was reffering to,a wonderful man.He worked for them after he left Astran.I remember he had a DAF as i had the same sort,but a double drive on IT Holland\Afghan Int.Mike

In 1979 OHS Transport Ltd bought some 15 F89 Volvo’s and the name PIE , later on a year later name PIE was changed to UIC (United International Carrieers Ltd) at first PIE F89’s were used in European & Turkey runs, later on on M/E runs.