Owner drivers

I ran a fh460 with a drop and go trailer on blocks, the crane had a hatz silent donkey engine, my fuel usage seemed a tad higher than yours (iro7.6mpg) mind I’ve never been one for sitting at 50 mph!
still have the truck and that’s now a tad better on fuel after a re map, still do the odd load of blocks, these days I only do the pallet loads on my short flat trailer
moose

Ok I admit I do sit at 50 but in all honesty I havnt lost any work because of it but that’s another debate
No lots of people that had probs wiv drop n goes twisted chassis rollers going etc
Probably wack another 25 quid on my fuel figure for the hatz which I forgot to do
I try n stay way from blocks and stick mainly to paving n bricks used to do a lot of work out of hilton when I first started and that was hard graft for not a lot of reward so soon gave that a wide birth I find the the crane work suits me no weekends n generally parkd up by 1800 most days but it’s not for every one
Had a stint on the boxes last winter enjoyed the break taking it easy but I can’t see how anyone can make a healthy profit margin out of it but that again is another debate

Most weeks our bulker driver gets paid similar amount to what’s left for us after driver and diesel…
Doesn’t leave lot to tax insure buy and maintain unit and trailer !!

The best bit about being my own boss is what happened today, Alarm went off at 6 , I slept till. 8;30, I tipped and reloaded 30 mins from home then went home, But I’m up at three and il be having to kick the ■■■■ out of it the rest of the wk!

I started in 1980, Volvo F86, hated the thing, 10 months on bought a Scania 110, loved it, made good money through the 80’s and 90’s, pulling for Sayers of Newbury in the 90’s was on .82ppm on tacho miles.

Built the company up to 20 vehicles from vans, 7.5t up to 44t trucks, had 26 people working for me when it all went in 2006, worst day of my life when the trucks were snatched back, never used subbies as I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I went bust owing them money, owed the usual,VAT, PAYE, TAX MAN, little bit to fuel company and a lot on credit cards.

Used my wifes savings to pay staff the last weeks money, found them all jobs.

Wish I stayed as on O/D, if I had the money would start again tomorrow as an O/D.

alanjblack:
I started in 1980, Volvo F86, hated the thing, 10 months on bought a Scania 110, loved it, made good money through the 80’s and 90’s, pulling for Sayers of Newbury in the 90’s was on .82ppm on tacho miles.

Built the company up to 20 vehicles from vans, 7.5t up to 44t trucks, had 26 people working for me when it all went in 2006, worst day of my life when the trucks were snatched back, never used subbies as I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I went bust owing them money, owed the usual,VAT, PAYE, TAX MAN, little bit to fuel company and a lot on credit cards.

Used my wifes savings to pay staff the last weeks money, found them all jobs.

Wish I stayed as on O/D, if I had the money would start again tomorrow as an O/D.

Fair play to you mate, for treating the staff the right way. Good luck if you do find a way of starting up again.