Owner drivers

The thread is called “owner drivers” thats exactly what i am, one man one truck, my ambition is to drive a nice car, have at least 2 holidays a year and have my mortgage paid off, so far i have ticked all those boxes and i have no desire whatsoever to be the next Eddie Stobart, i dont even want the hassle of a 2nd truck even though i have more than enough work for it, a lot of people on here cant seem to tell the difference between an owner driver and someone who wants to start a haulage business

biggriffin:
I think the op, has been asked to do a project for business studies, and thinks, those on here with the experience will make it easy for him.
I could be wrong.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
you are most likely correct.
anyone seriously considering starting up and having to ask for basic advice in here is either a schoolboy or a fantasy merchant doomed to failure as by doing so its obvious they dont have a clue about the basics.

chaversdad:
The thread is called “owner drivers” thats exactly what i am, one man one truck, my ambition is to drive a nice car, have at least 2 holidays a year and have my mortgage paid off, so far i have ticked all those boxes and i have no desire whatsoever to be the next Eddie Stobart, i dont even want the hassle of a 2nd truck even though i have more than enough work for it, a lot of people on here cant seem to tell the difference between an owner driver and someone who wants to start a haulage business

I always thought that a standard business model was to expand and progress, not stay the same, …hey that was maybe where I went wrong eh? :laughing: I got up to about 6 or so.

You appear to be making a success out of staying a one man band and if it works for you, then fair play bud.

I’ve been quiet for a while because of illness and commitments at home etc , for those saying I’m a rookie school boy because I’m asking for advice can jog on. I’ve been in the job for over 8 years now, yes I know it’s not long by your standards but know the ins n out. Simply came on here for some advice (didn’t know there was an OD page already ) as I’ve been offered work by 2 contractors now, so more than enough to get the ball rolling n make a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveyboi:
I’ve been quiet for a while because of illness and commitments at home etc , for those saying I’m a rookie school boy because I’m asking for advice can jog on. I’ve been in the job for over 8 years now, yes I know it’s not long by your standards but know the ins n out. Simply came on here for some advice (didn’t know there was an OD page already ) as I’ve been offered work by 2 contractors now, so more than enough to get the ball rolling n make a profit.

I think you’re missing the point.
There IS loads of work out there. But being offered it means nowt, if the rates (for that work) are bad.
If you’ve been offered a choice of GOOD paying work, from reliable sources, then you’re an unusually fortunate person.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chaversdad:
thats exactly what i am, one man one truck, my ambition is to drive a nice car, have at least 2 holidays a year and have my mortgage paid off, so far i have ticked all those boxes and i have no desire whatsoever to be the next Eddie Stobart,

Ive ticked all those boxes as an employed driver without all the hassle of running a truck. (in fact this year I had 3 foreign holidays)

However my next door neighbour who now has 6 mixer wagons on the go has ticked all those boxes and now sits back and just deals with the running of his buisness and leaves the hassle of driving to others.

steveyboi:

Telling guys to jog on because you aint hearing what you want to hear aint really constructive is it? :unamused: , 8 years exp or not, you do come across as being a bit naive tbh. :neutral_face:

2 firms? …Only 2 ?..there are numerous firms out there, who are more than willing to exploit a guy with a truck.
Not trying to ■■■■ on your chips mate, nor patronise you, but seriously be very careful.
There are a fraction of owner drivers now to what there once was, and there is a good reason for that. :bulb:

Good luck anyhow…you’re gonna need it.

robroy:

steveyboi:

Telling guys to jog on because you aint hearing what you want to hear aint really constructive is it? :unamused: , 8 years exp or not, you do come across as being a bit naive tbh. :neutral_face:

2 firms? …Only 2 ?..there are numerous firms out there, who are more than willing to exploit a guy with a truck.
Not trying to ■■■■ on your chips mate, nor patronise you, but seriously be very careful.
There are a fraction of owner drivers now to what there once was, and there is a good reason for that. :bulb:

Good luck anyhow…you’re gonna need it.

I only said jog on because there’s no need for the little remarks, just simply looking for advice, and to hear other people’s exp running a motor… but like a lot of sites there seems to be a lot of keyboard warriors. I understand there’s a lot of firms that want to exploit drivers and take the ■■■■, all I wanted was some advice about wether it’s worth starting up running on one of the two contracts I’ve simply been offered , full stop. As I’ve said before, the rates ain’t brilliant, but enough to run a motor, pay a wage, and leave enough profits per month for room for growth…

Way I see it is you’ve had the best advice.
(As for remarks, you should have been in the job long enough to know that’s truckers for you, no sentiment no prisoners)
People only start up any business to make money,.any other reason and they are not being entirely serious or realistic about it.
This is about the top 3 worst type of business to go into, unless you have a bloody good lucrative job, preferably direct to a non haulage firm.
Problem is 99.9999% of those type of jobs are sewn up by the big boys, and even if you are lucky enough to get one, they will cut the rate and put you out of the game just to get it…that is the true nature of this job.

So unless your Dad owns that type of outfit, you’ve got two hopes (No and Bob) of getting in there.

So now the only option is second hand work with a haulage outfit, there are numerous adverts looking for owner drivers, where they tell you they are giving you 10% of their rate…they ain’t in reality btw, trust me. :bulb:
Ok, you will make a living, but not that much more to justify the worry and stress that you WILL experience because of it, and not that much more than the likes of me who has little stress and certainly no job related worry.

So there’s some ‘‘advice’’ that you asked for, take it or leave it, I don’t care, up to you mate
In the meantime I’ll just ‘jog on’. :wink:

robroy:
Way I see it is you’ve had the best advice.
(As for remarks, you should have been in the job long enough to know that’s truckers for you, no sentiment no prisoners)
People only start up any business to make money,.any other reason and they are not being entirely serious or realistic about it.
This is about the top 3 worst type of business to go into, unless you have a bloody good lucrative job, preferably direct to a non haulage firm.
Problem is 99.9999% of those type of jobs are sewn up by the big boys, and even if you are lucky enough to get one, they will cut the rate and put you out of the game just to get it…that is the true nature of this job.

So unless your Dad owns that type of outfit, you’ve got two hopes (No and Bob) of getting in there.

So now the only option is second hand work with a haulage outfit, there are numerous adverts looking for owner drivers, where they tell you they are giving you 10% of their rate…they ain’t in reality btw, trust me. :bulb:
Ok, you will make a living, but not that much more to justify the worry and stress that you WILL experience because of it, and not that much more than the likes of me who has little stress and certainly no job related worry.

So there’s some ‘‘advice’’ that you asked for, take it or leave it, I don’t care, up to you mate
In the meantime I’ll just ‘jog on’. :wink:

fiiiiiiiinally an answer I was looking for [emoji23] I think I came to that conclusion myself earlier on, but then there’s the “what ifs” that pop up. Besides seeing as Christmas rush is over I’m sure the work will completely die out , and then I’m left with all the bills and finance on a motor not running. Like you said, the work that would be left is likely to be taken by the big boy firms who are more " credited" so I think I’ll give it all a miss for now, unless I win the lottery [emoji23]