owner driver

Goods vehicles, or vehicle / trailer combinations, with a gross weight / gross train weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes (or 1525 kg unladen weight if unplated), (the weight of any trailer not more than 1020 kg unladen weight being discounted,) which are used for the carriage of goods in connection with business, whether for hire and reward or own account, need the relevant operator’s license

Thank you Driveroneuk,

very concise.

michael_dinwiddy:
When I started this thread I was only making enquiries I didnt intent to start a slagging match, .

dont worry mate thats what happens on these forums, someone asks a question then we all argue about it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Running a van maybe a better option.

I have a long wheelbase sprinter, with which I subbie for a large courier company.

Its not easy, with long hours on the road and such, but I’m home most nights and the money is reasonable.

If you do decide to go down the van route, dont be tempted by the multi-drop companies, that really does’nt pay.

Phone round the courier co’s in your area, look for ones which have more than one depot, there will be more chance of return loads.
Dont waste time with these courier websites, not worth it.

If you’re really lucky some courier firms may offer you a guaruntee (sorry about the spelling).

Like I said, its not easy, but then what is these days.

a £1 a mile has been the rate for the last 10 years… if we all stook together we would be able to get £2… there should be no such thing as a backload they should all be outbound rates … if you work out 2000km and you’ve earned 2k your doin ok…

Things are moving on swiftly, I got my class c license now so I can do a bit of agency work if I can get an y. I have had a chat with someone who has a yard about 15 miles from my house, they already run a few trucks out of there including servicing etc and they have loads of space, so the ‘O’ license may be an option. Been looking at Lutons with tail lifts and there arfe a few second hand ones about. The advantage I suppose iis to be able to get pallets on and off without a fork lift. :unamused: so anyway cards arriving next week and the cold calling begins with the addition of a mailshot.

Thanks for the tips.

Well it been a few months since I posted on this thread…

The Van thing is going ok, agency work is coming in too but didn’t go for the ‘O’ license for the time being.

What I have seen is a huge difference between conditions, rates of pay and work practices. Most of the firms I have worked for have been good, one of two have been very good, new clean trucks and reasonably well paid, not too much to do in a day and they follow all legal requirements and practices. However there have been a couple of firms, on in particular who are a major distributor were conditions are so bad that I refused to work for them! The trucks are old and knackered, the work load in terms of ■■■■■■■ things about and number of deliveries was unachievable even on a 12 hour day and they kept phoning up and hassaling me. It seemed to me that all the drivers were going well over their limits and the company concerned simple hired new guys or used agency drivers. It was a bad experience, on the whole though I have managed to get enough work to survive since I passed my test in Feb.

I hope things are picking up for everybody else too.

hammer:
I’m not wishing to rain on your parade but I don’t think anybody is making any money at the moment and owner-driver haulage is so poor I don’t think it can be accurately described as a ‘career’ change.

sorry to disapoint you, at the minute im fairing pretty well, thanks

yorkshireborn:

hammer:
I’m not wishing to rain on your parade but I don’t think anybody is making any money at the moment and owner-driver haulage is so poor I don’t think it can be accurately described as a ‘career’ change.

Who’s disappointed? :confused: Read what I wrote properly, I was merely stating a fact in the present climate.

If your doing well, then fair play to you.

hammer:

yorkshireborn:

hammer:

Who’s disappointed? :confused: Read what I wrote properly, I was merely stating a fact in the present climate.

If your doing well, then fair play to you.

point taken, i agree most operators are finding it hard. i have known of a few go under in the last 12 months, however i also know a few who are flying, i will agree its not a good time to start especially if your pretty much a novice or have been away from the game along time, but just wanted to say not all are struggling.

Just to give a balanced view . . . . . .

I’ve been on this forum since 2004 and when I first joined the advice was always “Don’t do it! It’s never been so bad in transport!”

Well, maybe that’s true but if you can put a business plan together with realistic figures, find a trustworthy supply of work and then graft yer nads off, you could make it work.

It’s hard to know exactly when the industry (and the economy) will actually bottom-out but as soon as there is a hint of a recovery, jump on board quick, ideally before the competition!! :wink:

Maybe it is a good time to start, as they say things can only get better :smiley:

I’d say its an excellent time to start. If you can get reliable work at reasonable rates, make a fair living wage AND a small profit after all costs, then as the economy improves, it can only get better.

Not been to a commercial auction for a while, but i’d think there is probably a lot of a truck to be bought for under £10k right now.

Driveroneuk:
I’d say its an excellent time to start. If you can get reliable work at reasonable rates, make a fair living wage AND a small profit after all costs, then as the economy improves, it can only get better.

Not been to a commercial auction for a while, but i’d think there is probably a lot of a truck to be bought for under £10k right now.

had a friend say most auctions he attends are struggling to get a starting bid on units any older than 05 plates. if you view lombard finance repo website they are advertising o5 plate ssc dafs for around 15K and globetrotter xl for around 20K.