Owens can't get a driver

trevHCS:

DCPCFML:
Another Tough [zb]! I hope they go bankrupt. Karma is a [zb].

Couldn’t agree more! Our lot pay closer to the Owens top rate for pallets + overtime rates, but they are struggling. Some round here pay basically same as Owens except we’re no where near Wales
(fairly close to Palletforce).

Its not just the pay. Knackered trucks, trailers and depots which aren’t fit for purpose are causing people to come and leave within a week. Head office dont see it or don’t give a [zb]. Suspect its the same in all these companies, just waiting for more to sell up to Kinexia and then that to go bump.

As for visas, its not people from the EU they want. There have been several articles hintung tuey want to take people from outside the EU like Turkey as they can pay crap wages again. Even heard one saying they were looking to Africa!

All these tinpot haulage companies are in for a rude awakening very soon. They’ve managed to blunder along for years scraping a meagre profit because of a revolving door of cheap flip-flop drivers but now they’re either going to have to pay the going rate and lose their customers, or go out of business because no-one will drive for them. Chickens coming home to roost!

Don’t blame Brexit for their problems

They’ve probably been using the cheap labour system for many years,

And now they can’t

So to the managers of Owens and other companies that have been using cheap labour,

UP YOUR RATES

AND EMPLOY BRITISH DRIVERS !!!

They need to pay top money like Chepstow or Avonmouth.Owens are a joke.

ETS:
So with 97% of the applications accepted I find it hard to believe all 50 of their EU drivers were denied status. Unless they were ‘imported’ only for a month so they (Owen) knew they would fail to qualify so now they (Owen) have something to moan about :unamused:

I don’t see anything in the original article to say that they only had 50 EU drivers to start with - just that 50 of them were not allowed to remain for whatever reason. It says they had 950 drivers and that 50 of them were affected. It doesn’t say how many of those 950 drivers were from the EU.

Roymondo:

ETS:
So with 97% of the applications accepted I find it hard to believe all 50 of their EU drivers were denied status. Unless they were ‘imported’ only for a month so they (Owen) knew they would fail to qualify so now they (Owen) have something to moan about :unamused:

I don’t see anything in the original article to say that they only had 50 EU drivers to start with - just that 50 of them were not allowed to remain for whatever reason. It says they had 950 drivers and that 50 of them were affected. It doesn’t say how many of those 950 drivers were from the EU.

Well alright then. Probably latecomers who didn’t qualify for the thing. I mean it’s classed as a ‘semi-skilled’ profession so no wonder really, lulz. Fast forward to 2023, the gov’t has now declared farm laborers as skilled workers to allow for more of them to be imported, ahem - to apply for work visas, from Africa and South Asia. This follows a successful trial from last year when HGV drivers were also classed as highly skilled (I hope I’m wrong but I just stick to a simple ‘follow the money’ rule)

The added benefit for employers is that they won’t have to shell out for sleeper cabs anymore…

ETS:
Fast forward to 2023, the gov’t has now declared farm laborers as skilled workers to allow for more of them to be imported, ahem - to apply for work visas, from Africa and South Asia. This follows a successful trial from last year when HGV drivers were also classed as highly skilled (I hope I’m wrong but I just stick to a simple ‘follow the money’ rule)

It’s all a rigged labour market scam.
An open door to the lowest wage expectation labour in all the developed Anglo based countries but a closed door for us to be able to move freely among our own.
Then they play the racist card if anyone objects.
All so laughably predictable.

drover:
Brexit: Lorry driver shortage could mean higher prices in shops - BBC News

Maybe try increasing wages & conditions then kidder :wink:

I don’t have much time for the threat regarding prices going up in shops.

Why is it up to HGV Drivers to cop for crap wages to keep the cost of a tin of beans down a few pence? Train drivers certainly don’t cop for crap wages to keep ticket costs down.

rob22888:

drover:

Why is it up to HGV Drivers to cop for crap wages to keep the cost of a tin of beans down a few pence? Train drivers certainly don’t cop for crap wages to keep ticket costs down.

Ah yes, the old “compare truck drivers to train drivers” gambit. It takes 2 grand and two weeks to qualify to drive a truck. Remind us again what it takes to become a train driver…

the nodding donkey:

rob22888:

drover:

Ah yes, the old “compare truck drivers to train drivers” gambit. It takes 2 grand and two weeks to qualify to drive a truck. Remind us again what it takes to become a train driver…

Oh I am aware of that, probably wasn’t the best comparison to use. I still think my point stands though that it isn’t HGV drivers responsibility to help keep prices down. If hauliers investing in staff to get the decent drivers required means rates going up, then so be it.

Don’t forget part of the reason it takes so much to become a train driver is because of the amount of people wanting to do the job, train operators can be super picky. The act of doing the job isn’t rocket science. If train driver pay & conditions went down the toilet and they found themselves struggling for drivers the same as the crap road hauliers do, the standards would slip.

rob22888:

the nodding donkey:

rob22888:

drover:

Oh I am aware of that, probably wasn’t the best comparison to use. I still think my point stands though that it isn’t HGV drivers responsibility to help keep prices down. If hauliers investing in staff to get the decent drivers required means rates going up, then so be it.

Don’t forget part of the reason it takes so much to become a train driver is because of the amount of people wanting to do the job, train operators can be super picky. The act of doing the job isn’t rocket science. If train driver pay & conditions went down the toilet and they found themselves struggling for drivers the same as the crap road hauliers do, the standards would slip.

Correct

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk

the nodding donkey:

rob22888:

drover:

So that makes it ok to regard truck drivers as no better than labourers.
Picture the scene when the first advert for train drivers which says any other duties as required from labourer to train washer, appears.
Here’s a clue it’s got nothing to do with the wages.

They put the money UP to £11.25 per hour a few weeks ago at the Carrington depot (former BTS) :laughing:

Unfortunately for them though Green group 5 mins down the road at Trafford Park are now paying £13 per hour for Mon-Fri days :wink:

#holdyournerveandstopworkingforscraps

It’s so blitheringly obvious isn’t it

Don’t pay well - people won’t want to work for them

Why they (and similar firms) can’t see it, is beyond me

Thejpmshow:
It’s so blitheringly obvious isn’t it

Don’t pay well - people won’t want to work for them

Why they (and similar firms) can’t see it, is beyond me

It’s because they have had it so easy with unlimited supply of drivers that they could just continue the race to the bottom…

Perhaps the tables have finally turned :question:

Now if drivers would just stop taking crap jobs paying day rates, not do unpaid assessments etc… maybe we will all benefit

DCPCFML:

ATJT:

DCPCFML:

Tarmaceater:
Owenski drivers probably sat on the Black Sea beaches now enjoying a nice cold one of the Amber Nectar.
I do concur with DC , they got what they deserved and now no bumski on the seatski .
And save a fortune on side panels and paperwork to write out the bumps and scratches on insurance forms so paper saved , save the planet to keep Gretaski Thunderburgerski happy.

Funny but true Toby. I bet if they factored in the cost of all the replacement panels and down time it would have cost them more overall than if they’d just offered reasonable money in the first place and used natives.

I really don’t see it being anywhere near as simple as “Native” = Good Driver and Eastern European = Bad, I thought that stereo type had long gone, along with the one suggesting foreign drivers are any happier driving for crap wages than homegrown ones?

The stereotype will never go because it’s 100% true and is unlikely to change any time in the future. I’m not suggesting that natives are driving gods - far from it. But the truth is that while 99% are thick as [zb], most manage to bring the truck and trailer back with the same amount of panels it left the yard with, and don’t require a wrecker and heavy crane to remove it from getting wedged down a rural rambler’s trail. :laughing:

You’re right and wrong at the same time. Me I am Eastern European but, I passed my test here so I’m already used to tight spaces but I messed up a few times myself (2), not because I’m Eastern European but because I’m a beginner ( only started Class 1 around April.
But the way you say it sounds a bit weird because you’re assuming that English drivers don’t have crashes or scratches like ever.

eagerbeaver:
They put the money UP to £11.25 per hour a few weeks ago at the Carrington depot (former BTS) :laughing:

Unfortunately for them though Green group 5 mins down the road at Trafford Park are now paying £13 per hour for Mon-Fri days :wink:

Any ideas or heard anything on grapevine about Green Group? Agency are offering it at £15 no hols, £13.50 accruing hols and assure me “ill only ever do a night out if I ask for it!”

Alfa1M:

eagerbeaver:

Any ideas or heard anything on grapevine about Green Group? Agency are offering it at £15 no hols, £13.50 accruing hols and assure me “ill only ever do a night out if I ask for it!”

One of my best pals works there Alfa. Mon-Fri days 06.00 start and they get their own wagon (a craptos unfortunately) but it’s nice as a day driver to have your own vehicle. £13 per hour and easy work. My mate runs up to a quarry off the 556 near Northwich and loads bags of sand which he then delivers to B&Q’s, TP, Wickes sites etc. Reckons it’s a complete piece of ■■■■ & they get spoken to with a bit of respect.

Tempted myself tbh…

Perhaps if Firms were taking on full timers @ £20ph now there would be rampant price rises in the pipeline for end-customers down the line…

But there’s no excuses for raising retail prices now before there’s even a sniff of anticipated full time splurge-out on fresh staff - is there?

All that would happen - is the customers will start boycotting the same firms the drivers are already boycotting…

“Rip Off Britain”.

eagerbeaver:

Alfa1M:

eagerbeaver:

One of my best pals works there Alfa. Mon-Fri days 06.00 start and they get their own wagon (a craptos unfortunately) but it’s nice as a day driver to have your own vehicle. £13 per hour and easy work. My mate runs up to a quarry off the 556 near Northwich and loads bags of sand which he then delivers to B&Q’s, TP, Wickes sites etc. Reckons it’s a complete piece of ■■■■ & they get spoken to with a bit of respect.

Tempted myself tbh…

Thanks for Info, currently drive actros and one of few that actually likes it. More space than most I’ve driven, it has however claimed the screens of 2 tablets that fell from top locker though after the suspension couldn’t cope with running over a fallen leaf :unamused: