Overnight lorry parking ban in parts of Kent

chester1:

UKtramp:
And of course everyone will still deliver to this area, as everyone will now plan deliveries around these restrictions. Wouldn’t it be nice if the hauliers actually refused to go in or only made deliveries on a basis of providing our drivers have the time left to leave the area. No guaranteed deliveries on a given date can now be made. Soon see parking areas amazingly as if by magic open up.

And why wudnt they deliver to kent they have shut a cpl of laybys not ashford truckstop . All of those lay-bys have adjacent houses and access that is always being parked over rubbish and bags of ■■■ (if they are lucky ) fridges running all weekend . Dont hear you boycotting france or belgium as they have shut aires for a fair distance from calais

Not just lay bys though is it mate.
If you read the report it also covers a couple of industrial estates.
I understand the situation with those ditry bastds, but we aint all pigs.
Fact is we are just not wanted…end of.

I thought there was a ban on clamping oh well.Just were do all the trucka go now when all the sites are full or did they forget to think about that bit.

robroy:

chester1:

UKtramp:
And of course everyone will still deliver to this area, as everyone will now plan deliveries around these restrictions. Wouldn’t it be nice if the hauliers actually refused to go in or only made deliveries on a basis of providing our drivers have the time left to leave the area. No guaranteed deliveries on a given date can now be made. Soon see parking areas amazingly as if by magic open up.

And why wudnt they deliver to kent they have shut a cpl of laybys not ashford truckstop . All of those lay-bys have adjacent houses and access that is always being parked over rubbish and bags of ■■■ (if they are lucky ) fridges running all weekend . Dont hear you boycotting france or belgium as they have shut aires for a fair distance from calais

Not just lay bys though is it mate.
If you read the report it also covers a couple of industrial estates.
I understand the situation with those ditry bastds, but we aint all pigs.
Fact is we are just not wanted…end of.

No you are right we are not all pigs the good majority of us know how to behave. The orbital ind est is directly opposite the truck stop and they start getting on there from mid afternoon long before the truck stop is full they have been ticketing there for years on and off and your guess is as good as mine if the tickets got paid. I go to a site on the orbital park and they have a wheely bin shelter that’s forever being ■■■■ in

“Where are they all going to go?”

It’s not that the crackdown is ill-advised. It merely lacks co-ordination among foreign truckers who may not be so aware of the local score here in Kent as we home-grown drivers are.

The A2 Cobham/Shorne seems to be a prime target for this crackdown. Gantry signs last night were displaying signs that this was closed off conmpletely.

It really does NOT help when Web Browsers from outside the area get to read “info” such at this:-

https://app.truckparkingeurope.com/parking-places/13474-esso-garage-a2-trunk-road

Thousands of these lorries trundle through Kent every day, not many of them bring any benefit to the county. Close Dover Port and the Tunnel to freight for a month. Allow only those hauliers with a pre existing operating centre, within a limited radius either side, to continue using the crossings. Then perhaps Weberers etc will realise that there are other routes to reach the North, the West Country and Scotland by using roads on the other side of the channel and North Sea to reach different crossings. The longer crossings will allow the drivers more time for rest. Once the month is over impose a significant tax on freight movements on the short channel route to encourage spreading the load around the country.

cav551:
Thousands of these lorries trundle through Kent every day, not many of them bring any benefit to the county. Close Dover Port and the Tunnel to freight for a month. Allow only those hauliers with a pre existing operating centre, within a limited radius either side, to continue using the crossings. Then perhaps Weberers etc will realise that there are other routes to reach the North, the West Country and Scotland by using roads on the other side of the channel and North Sea to reach different crossings. The longer crossings will allow the drivers more time for rest. Once the month is over impose a significant tax on freight movements on the short channel route to encourage spreading the load around the country.

That is a very good idea.

I think people are getting bent out of shape over this. They have shut a cpl of lay-by’s that hold about 25 trucks in total . The lay-bys concerned all have housing or business adjacent which most pre date the lay by,s or at least to the extent they are used today. it wasn’t that long ago these lay-by’s where empty at the weekends now they are full with men using them as a toilet leaving rubbish, fridges running engines being ran etc and very few on British plates . When you actually look at the bigger picture the ports of Dover, Ramsgate (although closed at the moment )and the train have actually been a burden to the Kent tax payer with in the late 90’s early 2000’ all the asylum seekers that when caught and claimed asylum at the ports where housed in Kent before eventually being dispersed around the country years later. Then you have operation stack at times when these two private companies can’t cope with the work load it’s expected of the tax payer to subsidise them by building an area to store their customers while they wait to embark the ships or trains . And now you have trucks parked on every verge slip road or any place they can squeeze onto . Kent has no more or no less parking than most counties . Maybe the time has come for our industry to Be more responsible for its own facilities and build truck stops ourselves along the lines of the German autohof’s which are all privately owned

^^

What? expect hauliers to pay to park their own lorries? Never, wash your mouth out with soap. You should know that business expects someone else to pick up the bill.

The useless RHA is even demanding “a network of lorry parks in Kent” .Get your ■■■■■■■ wallet out RHA.

“Kent has no more or no less parking than most counties”

Exactly, but the haulage industry seems to think that it has a God given right to expect to be able to park its lorries a stone’s throw from the crossings, rather than plan the trip so that they stop well short and leave enough time the next day (in normal circumstances) to reach or leave the terminal and be on their way.

Solution is simple. Instead of parking in laybys in the middle of nowhere go park up in town, ideally in or very near residential areas where there are no weight limits with the fridge running. And all you have to do is leave your sidelights on overnight. Perfectly legal to park on the street overnight.

^^
I really don’t get this attitude which seems so prevalent. There is a difference between nimbyism and having to put up with unacceptable conditions. We do hear an awful lot about unacceptable employment conditions on here after all.

If for example every electricity power station in the country was shut down and the nation’s electricity was instead provided by a huge number of Paxman Valentas running at full chat 24/7 outside one’s house, I think anyone would wish to see the burden shared out more evenly around the country.

At Full Volume: youtube.com/watch?v=w5Le5-AUYgw

Being a Dutch owner driver coming to the uk for over 30 years I can’t wait for brexit that means I can take my daily break in Dover when clearing customs. Just like they old days.

cav551:

what you or we will be buy in Supermarket.Most Yogurt and another milk produkt come from Eu.Do you think who somebody will build new factory here after Brexit.?Simply must follow French experience.They have parking with petrol station ,store every 40 miles.But every 10 miles just parking with only WC and access for cold water.In England enough services but with limited number for truck parking.Need expand present services or build net big lay by.Nobody will build new services with store.Because KFC,Mac will be without interest open new branch.

This seems to have gone quiet, anyway 1 month in and some stats are out.
secure.ashford.gov.uk/committee … ingId=3224
Item 8 opens a PDF gives the total numbers of lorries clamped etc every shift and every night from 30th Oct to 26th Nov and a summary of the ‘operation’

kentonline.co.uk/ashford/new … et-156926/

The total legal Truck parking spaces in Kent only covers an hours worth of channel traffic . That is without the traffic actually delivering to the county .
The problem is also not helped by truckers avoiding parking in the Calais region because of the problems in that area .
Kent County Council were aware of the parking problem 30 years ago and recommended the building of 5 truck parks in the county each holding 200-250 trucks .They, KCC , have since done nothing to solve the problem, in fact they have helped to make matters worse with the closure of laybys, not just in the Ashford area, and many public toilets have been closed .
Some historic parking areas have also been lost ,like the parking in folkstone docks .
The site for the super park for op stack looks to be delayed for at least another 3 years .
I live in the Dover area and if returning home in a truck trying to find a spot for a break if needed takes some finding after 6 pm or before 7am .
If we need any extra customs clearance facilities come brexit we are stuffed because the ones in use at the moment at near capacity.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Also if you delve into the election manifesto of the first Cameron/Tory Government you will find a promise to build continental style rest/picnic/parking areas along the main routes around the country .
A decade later and we’re still waiting .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
Also if you delve into the election manifesto of the first Cameron/Tory Government you will find a promise to build continental style rest/picnic/parking areas along the main routes around the country .
A decade later and we’re still waiting .

As in that
gov.uk/government/speeches/ … in-england

Yup ‘we’ are still waiting for the ‘private sector’ to get their ■■■ in gear. The haulage companies etc don’t seem to be falling over themselves to build these golden money trees do they ?

I suppose another good reason not to park in laybys to save a few quid ?
dailym.ai/2AEZi2k

Buy an angle grinder and cut the clamp off .
Or call out a man in a van to do it .
I once parked legally on a housing estate, a man in a house shouted to me from the bathroom window " You are not parking there ."

speedyguy:
This seems to have gone quiet, anyway 1 month in and some stats are out.
secure.ashford.gov.uk/committee … ingId=3224
Item 8 opens a PDF gives the total numbers of lorries clamped etc every shift and every night from 30th Oct to 26th Nov and a summary of the ‘operation’

kentonline.co.uk/ashford/new … et-156926/

So on average they’re clamping about 150 trucks a week, no real reduction from the first week, in the meantime Ashford truckstop is having to turn trucks away, which probably either have to try and park and risk getting clamped or run over their time to get out of the County.

And at the same time of this going on the Government has scrapped plans for the truck park at Stanford and when people do try and keep a privately run truckstop open the plans get rejected.

UK truck parking is a national disgrace.
If not parked by 18.00 all MSA and truck stops are full up.
Free parking in Europe but some Rouitiers in France have barriers.
You must buy a meal now to deter the EE drivers who have trailer kitchen and don’t spend one Euro in the cafe.
All over UK I see potential sites that are derelict shut down factories.
Look at all that land next to the M1 by Sheffield.
On the left going north before the big shopping mall.
You can get 1000 trucks in there.

There are hundreds of shut down old second world war airfield sites that can be used for parking.
Why don’t the MOD let us park on their dericlt land on Army and RAF bases ?