Opinions please

Tipperdipper1:

liam6226:
Thanks everyone for their input :laughing: and it helped because I’ve decided to stay where I am. Yes it’s true i would like to get on to Class 1 as soon as I can but that was mainly due to the money factor, I was on £86 a day on class 2 and when I started doing 12/13 hour plus shifts it was depressing me when I worked out the hourly rate, was relying on a few nights out and the every other Saturday shift to make up a decent wage but the new offer was certainly enough to keep me I don’t think I could’ve stayed for £430 a week though that was the main reason I started looking about for class 1 work anyway.

Congratulations on that decent pay deal and well done for being new in the job.

The thing is like others already said, your boss seems to be impressed by your work ethic etc. That‘s why he pays you more bucks and he knows he’s got a reliable worker if he needs you doing Class 1 work.
Stay there for now, especially over winter and have a look around again next year.
I know one Ferry Trailer Outfit in your Area pays £12 per hour at the moment + OT but you never know what they expect and what the company is like etc. Therefore stay where you are.
Stobarts will always be around somewhere but I think you did the right thing by staying.

Out of interest > How many hours are expected from you per week or what are your contracted hours? If you don’t want to make that info public > PM (Personal Message) me.

It varies to be honest but saying that because you’re on a day rate they do like to get their moneys worth id say am average of 11 hour shifts but I’ve done plenty off 12/13 hour days too and some even longer but the extra 100 a week will make it not so bad now. Also the every other Saturday morning can bump up the wage too and that in all honestly is a toss off.

Glad the OP has decided to stay put.

The novelty of driving artics wears off, so don’t jack in a job with decent pay & terms where you are respected and in the good books to go and work for Joe Bloggs General Haulage. Too many guys giddy with the shiny new class 1 ticket in their pocket make this mistake.

Patience is a virtue & given time at your current place you’ll eventually end up being the the guy that gets all the cream runs on the artics everyday who everyone looks at with green eyes. Better to be that than just some number at Stobarts being ■■■■ on everyday.