On the BBC news site

I saw this report and thought the drivers were being melodramatic.

MSAs & many truck stops are still open with facilities available, so are food shops. A proper, organised self sufficient tramper shouldn’t have to worry about the lack of Costa Coffee & fast food chains being open, especially when you have a fridge & microwave in your truck. Go shopping on your days off and get yourself prepared.

The young lad Jensen microwaving frozen pizza’s would be wise to have a better think about what he is eating anyway…

Support the truck stops that are still open and providing food and showers - for example Ecclefechan - still open showers , toilets parking and the wash . The owner is fighting tooth and nail to get the resturant open to provide somewhere for drivers to have a hot meal out of the cab when others have closed the door and put a portapotty in the truckpark . I know who I’ll be giving my business to from now on .
Find out who is going the extra mile for drivers at this time and don’t forget them when its over .

beefy4605:
Support the truck stops that are still open and providing food and showers - for example Ecclefechan - still open showers , toilets parking and the wash . The owner is fighting tooth and nail to get the resturant open to provide somewhere for drivers to have a hot meal out of the cab when others have closed the door and put a portapotty in the truckpark . I know who I’ll be giving my business to from now on .
Find out who is going the extra mile for drivers at this time and don’t forget them when its over .

+1

It’s a news report FFS. Is he really going to say that it’s great being out on the roads working cos there’s hardly any numpties about?

Might have predicted the reaction on here. We get one bit of national exposure that highlights some of the things we’ve been complaining about for ages,even before this all kicked off (notably lack of showers) and all of a sudden the people featured are whiny cry-babies who aren’t properly prepared like “real” lorry drivers are.

Same with pay; there ain’t one of you who hasn’t said at some point that we’re under-paid in this trade; but then because he’s dared to mildly personalise the place he spends all week in, he’s wasted his money.

What a bunch of snarky, miserable hypocrites some of you are.

On my way to avonmouth last week i popped into leigh delamere for pop master [emoji16][emoji16]

Once the clock had ticked onto 1050 i went into M&S to see if anything jumped out to have for my lunch, well i was pleasantly shocked by the amount of stock on the shelves and grabbed some supplies.

Also i was the only customer mooching about amongst the bulging shelves…[emoji106][emoji106]

#justsaying

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The target audience of Radio 1 Newsbeat is not aged truckers. lol.

Sidevalve:
It’s a news report FFS. Is he really going to say that it’s great being out on the roads working cos there’s hardly any numpties about?

Might have predicted the reaction on here. We get one bit of national exposure that highlights some of the things we’ve been complaining about for ages,even before this all kicked off (notably lack of showers) and all of a sudden the people featured are whiny cry-babies who aren’t properly prepared like “real” lorry drivers are.

Same with pay; there ain’t one of you who hasn’t said at some point that we’re under-paid in this trade; but then because he’s dared to mildly personalise the place he spends all week in, he’s wasted his money.

What a bunch of snarky, miserable hypocrites some of you are.

Good points mate, pay and showers etc, but I think sympathy to his points were lost when he said he could not get food, when he had a fridge and microwave, when in reality he could, unless he’d maybe been away for 2 weeks and ran out, which I doubt.

He may have got more support if he’d pointed out that as a tramper we use initiative to store food in the fridge for the week (or at least should) where as a day man it’s a bit different, changing trucks, no cooking facilities, even no fridge.

I remember a driver a couple of years ago, getting a golden opportunity on the radio to point out the pitfalls in the job,… parking, pay, facilities hours etc, but no, his biggest complaint with modern road haulage was…

Potholes. :neutral_face: :unamused:

polytrotter:
On my way to avonmouth last week i popped into leigh delamere for pop master [emoji16][emoji16]

Once the clock had ticked onto 1050 i went into M&S to see if anything jumped out to have for my lunch, well i was pleasantly shocked by the amount of stock on the shelves and grabbed some supplies.

Also i was the only customer mooching about amongst the bulging shelves…[emoji106][emoji106]

#justsaying

Has to be said,although they can cost you deep in the ■■■■■,M&S have to be one of those once in a blue moon phenomenons,since they rolled them out en masse,that have had a beneficial effect on any nods to life improvement in decades,in respect of their reliable quality and range.I often got by on just the odd beef sarnie and chocolate drinks which although not exactly ‘stick to the ribs’ calibre,it at least soaks up the gastric acids and enabled a good nights kip,in compromised by nocturnal digestion.Probably accounts for my racing snake torso :smiley:

manalishi:

polytrotter:

#justsaying

Has to be said,although they can cost you deep in the ■■■■■,M&S have to be one of those once in a blue moon phenomenons,since they rolled them out en masse,that have had a beneficial effect on any nods to life improvement in decades,in respect of their reliable quality and range.I often got by on just the odd beef sarnie and chocolate drinks which although not exactly ‘stick to the ribs’ calibre,it at least soaks up the gastric acids and enabled a good nights kip,in compromised by nocturnal digestion.Probably accounts for my racing snake torso :smiley:

M&S are maybe the most expensive on the high street for food compared to the likes of Asda or Tesco, (although maybe the best) so I shudder to think how much it would cost on a M&S MSA based shop to fill my fridge. :open_mouth:

robroy:

manalishi:

polytrotter:

#justsaying

M&S are maybe the most expensive on the high street for food compared to the likes of Asda or Tesco, (although maybe the best) so I shudder to think how much it would cost on a M&S MSA based shop to fill my fridge. :open_mouth:

Have to.be controversial here.
But we’re paid £20 / £25 a night out.
This is to cover the cost of food/meals
So use it at waitrose m&s if needs must.
S it’s your night out money it’s what it’s for to buy food.
Not part of.your wages

I’d never fill the fridge with m&s (chance being a fine thing) but faced with mass gunk,fast crap msa fodder,I always found m&s useful for the odd beef roll orange juice option and I guess training my metabolism to cope with smaller provisions.I never saw the sense in stuffing a large meal down just before bedding down as I tended to wake in the mornings uncomfortably ravenous with a knackered sensation.I did hear that wolfing down a large scoff at night tends to compromise kip quality as the food breakdown process comes at the expense of deeper sleep restoration.

3 boiled eggs and hovis for brek was all I tended to tie me over till the evening.Had it down to a fine art,healthy,cheap and effective.My ex employers had issues with this.

edd1974:

robroy:

manalishi:

polytrotter:

#justsaying

Have to.be controversial here.
But we’re paid £20 / £25 a night out.
This is to cover the cost of food/meals
So use it at waitrose m&s if needs must.
S it’s your night out money it’s what it’s for to buy food.
Not part of.your wages

Really, yeh? :neutral_face:
As somebody who regularly for years has used my night out EXPENSES/SUBSISTENCE money to maintain an element of social life and enjoyment while doing nights out, ie…meals and a drink out etc, rather than sit wasting my life in a ■■■■ lay by…you’re preaching to the choir here me old mate ! :bulb:

Btw…If I was totally stuck, I’d use them, but deffo not on a regular routine basis…that was my point. :bulb:

Can you point out exactly where I said I considered my EXPENSES/SUBSISTENCE as wages ?
No?
Me neither. :neutral_face:
:wink:

robroy:

manalishi:

polytrotter:

#justsaying

You’ll be surprised if you pop into a M&S (or a Waitrose for that matter). They charge their regular high street prices, rather than ramping them up, like WH Smith and Spar, and they also reduce the stuff that’s on its last ‘best before date’. Waitrose also sell Spekled Hen (£6.50 for 4 cans), cheaper than the pub.

Should of put me on tv , I’d of shown them tea whilst on lockdown

486B7741-6D62-48D6-B44D-B9DCACC74FEA.jpeg

I don’t think M&S at the services are that more expensive than a normal outlet? I don’t feel they are anyway… and you can normally pick up reduced stuff to use that day (or if like me, until it goes to the point where its dodgy eating it!) pretty sharpish at a decent discount.

toonsy:
I don’t think M&S at the services are that more expensive than a normal outlet? I don’t feel they are anyway… and you can normally pick up reduced stuff to use that day (or if like me, until it goes to the point where its dodgy eating it!) pretty sharpish at a decent discount.

I got a decent bit of steak that was reduced in Trowel services M&S once it was lovely [emoji39] cut like butter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rob22888:
I saw this report and thought the drivers were being melodramatic.

He says on Trucknet, home of melodramatic drivers

Toddington services north . went in there today got a sandwich from m n s

noticed just outside the store theres a microwave for use.

and a sign microwave meals available instore can be reheated here.

not a lot but its a gesture of sorts especially if on days and want something warm to eat which is becoming hard to come by these days a warm meal at dinner /lunch time

What a first class plonker all that clutter and ■■■■ in the cab the guys an absolute muppet
That’s embarrassing to watch

Ah well looks like I got it wrong, I just assumed that it would be a mega rip off just like everything else about those ■■■■ hole MSAs.
I never use them, other than for showers, so you’ll need to excuse my ignorance. :smiley: