Oldest revenue earning HGVs

still a fair few 143 Scania’s earning their keep …saw an awesome low-loader a couple of weeks ago with a huge excavator on the back Lincoln by-pass. black and white cab.

Gidders:
I recall from years ago a tanker belonging to S.Harrison Ltd.of Sheffield being pulled by an old Scammell.I’d like to think it is still knocking about.

don’t think Harrison’s are running any trucks now,all the Scammell’s are/were up for sale.

There is an old blue E reg (88) Scammell (Leyland) 8x4 Tipper that appears around here from time to time. I think it must belong to a farm and is used for hauling some seasonal product.

I’ve not seen it for a while but I’m sure it will get dusted off again soon

Not long before lockdown and covid I broke down in Dundee…recovery truck came was an e reg scammell.
Was old basic no electronics in the thing but did the job

8wheels:
There is an old blue E reg (88) Scammell (Leyland) 8x4 Tipper that appears around here from time to time. I think it must belong to a farm and is used for hauling some seasonal product.

Would this be the one that I have seen quite reguarly in the Baldock area?

edd1974:
Not long before lockdown and covid I broke down in Dundee…recovery truck came was an e reg scammell.
Was old basic no electronics in the thing but did the job

I see it has Rockwell axles. They were much better and stronger than the Albion type which were fitted to some of those. They weren’t strong enough for the bigger engines fitted to some Leylands.

8wheels:

I followed an F reg Leyland tipper on the Bishop stortford by pass last year
Saw an M reg Scania pulling a box on M27 at Rownhams yesterday

Does that chap still run the Atki Borderer around suffolk?

dave docwra:

8wheels:

Would this be the one that I have seen quite reguarly in the Baldock area?

Quite possibly, ive only seen it Chelmsford / Maldon area but Baldock not very far away and i can’t imagine many Scammell constructors still knocking about working.

Carters Steam fair run a few really old trucks still earning their keep but I guess they are part of the event / spectacle and not regular workhorses

Oldest seen working properly is James Reekie ERF fairly regularly seen driving past my house in the morning, the 22 year old 4 series 26t at work still gets used every day but just shunting stuff between yards.

On the old vs new topic, its like driving classic cars, great fun, feels far more real connected to what is happening, but the newer stuff is a lot easier and more comfortable to get along with.

There’s a guy working out of the mill I load at still using a D reg Foden pulling a tandem blower trailer delivering to farms around the NorthWest and Mid Wales areas. Lovely sound from that when it blows past.

Night-and-day:

Harry Monk:

switchlogic:
That old F88 often seen on M40 pulling logs I think beats anything! Often makes me laugh when pics pop up on Facebook any loads say they’d prefer that over a new truck. 90% would last an hour before they realise they’d made a mistake. 10% wouldn’t need 10 minutes. Fashionable to bash modern lorries but get into a oldie, even one from 15/20 years ago and you’ll realise we’ve never had it so good.

I’ve never driven an F88 so can’t comment on that, but if Volvo still made an F12 Globetrotter I’d choose that over anything they make today if I was still on long-haul, if just for the storage space which was all lost when the FH series was introduced and aerodynamics took precedence .

I’m sat in an S500 now and I would genuinely take my old 04 plate manual 4 series topline over it any day. This new gen is boring to drive in comparison, and the crows nest bed on the topline has never been beaten

When was the last time you chaps drove your respective oldies?

Harry Monk:

switchlogic:
That old F88 often seen on M40 pulling logs I think beats anything! Often makes me laugh when pics pop up on Facebook any loads say they’d prefer that over a new truck. 90% would last an hour before they realise they’d made a mistake. 10% wouldn’t need 10 minutes. Fashionable to bash modern lorries but get into a oldie, even one from 15/20 years ago and you’ll realise we’ve never had it so good.

I’ve never driven an F88 so can’t comment on that, but if Volvo still made an F12 Globetrotter I’d choose that over anything they make today if I was still on long-haul, if just for the storage space which was all lost when the FH series was introduced and aerodynamics took precedence .

49F10B4F-061A-4872-9F4A-BDF0C8619BB8.jpeg

I have no idea what this is, or how old it is - and I wish I had got a better photo, but thought I might look weird walking up taking photographs. This was at Magor services a few months back. If I go there again I need to remember to attach some Velcro to my bum to avoid waking in a crumpled heap at one end of the bunk :open_mouth:

100_0116.JPG

Mick Wardman laying tarmac at the rear of our house last year.

Pete.

Macski:

switchlogic:
Fashionable to bash modern lorries but get into a oldie, even one from 15/20 years ago and you’ll realise we’ve never had it so good.

:smiley:

I have very fond memories of my DAF 95, and would swap many of todays trucks for it. No speed limiter, 350BHP would fly back at 60MPH from Glasgow fully loaded with Whisky, the hills on the route no problem! No seat belt either another bonous.

You’d soon find the hills on the route a problem in 2022 with 350 horses :smiley: :smiley: And as for seat belt good as in an oldie your best chance of surviving would probably involve being thrown free :wink: Safety of modern trucks isn’t remotely comparable. Many drivers alive today that wouldn’t be without technology.

grumpybum:
I have no idea what this is, or how old it is - and I wish I had got a better photo, but thought I might look weird walking up taking photographs. This was at Magor services a few months back. If I go there again I need to remember to attach some Velcro to my bum to avoid waking in a crumpled heap at one end of the bunk :open_mouth:

Freightliner FLB.

In Devon this week

278085479_5452033761493809_5302788318970455117_n.jpg

switchlogic:

Macski:

switchlogic:
Fashionable to bash modern lorries but get into a oldie, even one from 15/20 years ago and you’ll realise we’ve never had it so good.

:smiley:

I have very fond memories of my DAF 95, and would swap many of todays trucks for it. No speed limiter, 350BHP would fly back at 60MPH from Glasgow fully loaded with Whisky, the hills on the route no problem! No seat belt either another bonous.

You’d soon find the hills on the route a problem in 2022 with 350 horses :smiley: :smiley: And as for seat belt good as in an oldie your best chance of surviving would probably involve being thrown free :wink: Safety of modern trucks isn’t remotely comparable. Many drivers alive today that wouldn’t be without technology.

First came across a seat belt in a civvy HGV in a Bedford TL. In those days, the upper mounting point was on the cab bulkhead which combined with a suspension seat made wearing the seat belt very uncomfortable; i can understand why that arrangement put many drivers off, myself included.

Modern ones are different altogether, though. Now that the upper mount is built into the seat itself it’s much more comfortable, and certainly does a far better job of restraining you in the event of a collision; in fact, probably along with many others I no longer feel safe when I’m not wearing it.