Old transport company's

Hello Boden. Smith might be the other big outfit up there wasnt Smith north of Glasgow maybe south of Dundee. when I used to load seed potatos out of Montrose to go back to Kent I would get a partial load from I think Smith to haul up to the north to make up my money as I was on % of what the load payed. I think they ran Albions.didn’t they? in the mid 1959. take care John T

I remember C&S very well indeed. Used to run with them when I was on SCA Express Freight. They had a Caterpillar contract, running to Grenoble. I only remember them with Merc 1418s. That would have been about 1966 to about '68.

They had some great characters drove for them. I can’t remember any names but there was one hilarious litle feller who would delight in bending over and lighting his own f***s with a cigarette lighter. He preferred to do it in Le Havre bars after we had come off the overnight ferry from Southampton. The French couldn’t believe it and he became quite famous in his own little way.

A name has just returned to my ancient memory. Jimmy Winn (or Wynne). Massive great geezer. Once on the ferry going back to Blighty, we were unfortunate enough to be in the company of the Who rock group who were only just beginning to become well known. Pete Townsend was in the bar as ■■■■■■ as a pudding and making himself very unpopular by playing one note, again and again, on his guitar. Jimmy warned him to stop. When he wouldn’t, and became abusive, Jimmy seized the offending instrument and smashed it to pieces against the footrail of the bar. I’ve often wondered if that gave the Who the idea of breaking up instruments on stage.

They also had a few French registered trucks, based in Le Havre, with French drivers. I remember one, called Conrad. He had a very beautiful Brazilian wife who found him misbehaving big-time with a Spanish girl. Being Brazilian, she shot him dead. Believe she was aquitted eventually. The court recognised her action as an “affaire de la couer” (apologies to real French speakers who may not recognise my spelling)

C&S also had a big steel haulage contract, running from the NE to Glasgow.

Steve

I remember ADT transport which we refered to as 'After Dark Transport" :laughing: :laughing:

I new his brother M.E. ( Moonlight Express)

John T:
Hi KitKat. Mcelvy if he is still in business he has hung on real well, when I used to tramp I have had many a load of steel from him, going back to London he used to have a big fleet I used to see them all the time "Mckelvy ‘s of Motherwell’ there used to be another big outfit up that way, I can’t think of the name right now. I guess I will think of it when I am in bed. take care. John T

Strathclyde?

Salut, David.

rexyu:
The court recognised her action as an “affaire de la couer” (apologies to real French speakers who may not recognise my spelling)

Crime passionnel?

Salut, David.

Hi David, I dont seem to remember that name, but some one in an earlier post mentioned Smith, and that name rings a bell. I think they were just north of Glasgow. did you ever stop in that truck stop near Lockerbie I think it was on route 74? or something like that I always stopped there when I went, I cant remember if it was on the way to Glasgow, or Edinburgh. it used to sound funny when the girs inside say “He’s from England” I tried earlier to get Pat at it with his “Volvo” but he aint biteing. ha ha ha . take care. John.

Spardo:

rexyu:
The court recognised her action as an “affaire de la couer” (apologies to real French speakers who may not recognise my spelling)

Crime passionnel?

Salut, David.

Nearly there David. Surely it’s “crime de passion

A la prochaine

Steve

In “French it might have been called " Crime de Passion” but in America it would have been called “Up yours ■■■■■” John T

do you mean hansons logistics leeds rd huddersfield i deliver to them know with chemicals they also have a couple of trucks on arla foods contract and they do syngenta ( ici) next door they have good trucks all new 95 xf’s :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

rexyu:

Spardo:

rexyu:

Crime passionnel?

Salut, David.

Nearly there David. Surely it’s “crime de passion

A la prochaine

Steve

Same thing, Steve, both are correct.

Salut, David.

John T:
Hi David, I dont seem to remember that name, but some one in an earlier post mentioned Smith, and that name rings a bell. I think they were just north of Glasgow. did you ever stop in that truck stop near Lockerbie I think it was on route 74? or something like that I always stopped there when I went, I cant remember if it was on the way to Glasgow, or Edinburgh. it used to sound funny when the girs inside say “He’s from England” I tried earlier to get Pat at it with his “Volvo” but he aint biteing. ha ha ha . take care. John.

Smith of Maddiston you mean, John, a very famous name from the past, based about 20 miles west of Edinburgh.
I knew all of the truckstops between Carlisle and Glasgow which was the A74 the route you mentioned, some good, some not so. I think this road is largely mortorway now and probably, unlike here in France, most of the old restos die when by-passed.
A few names for you to conjure the old memory with associated with cafes; Douglas, Abington, Crawford, Elvanfoot, Beattock, Lockerbie, Ecclefechan, Kirtlebridge, and if you went the traditional route over the A66 between Scotch Corner and Penrith, Stainmore cafe. A 24 hour beacon of hospitality and warmth on a freezing winter’s night but sadly no more for many years now. A few years ago I stopped and wandered through the ruins. The old ghosts were there, gradually discarding heavy coats and mufflers round the now blackened and cold fireplace beneath the empty space on the wall where the photo of the drivers marooned by 10ft drifts in the winter of '47 once hung.
In later years Smiths used to swop trailers there with Stirlands of Nottingham on the Boot’s contract, and have a mug and a yarn before setting off home again.

One of the reasons I love France so much is that that sense of camaraderie still exists and the routier restaurants thrive all over the country with all the drivers eating together at long tables. Took the wife to one the other night on the way back from England and nothing had changed and they made a big fuss over us. Good feeling.

Salut, David.

Hello Dave. the only Truck stops that stick in my mind was Tony’s of Grantham on the A1, that one in Lockerbie, the Jungle ( on the way to Scotland.) and the one on Brough ( was that the truck stop that had a Very sharp “S” bend west of the cafe? it was a railway bridge I remember I was on the way over the Brough and that “S” bend there was a truck turned over it was a “commer” loaded up with spuds coming down from Scotland , the driver was pinned in his cab I flagged another driver down “BRS” and we managed to get him out by then there was trucks both sides of the “S” no one could get through as his Truck had blocked the Roadway. Tramping like I did I seldom ran the same routes so I did not have any special cafes, as I was in eat, and gone always in a hurry.running against time. I had some good times back then Drivers would always stop if you needed help. there were some comical blokes on the road back then. when I worked for “yiddal Davies”, the drivers seat was a Express dairy milk crate with a pillow strapped on top, but it never bothered us we just got in and drove.after I left him I heard he had gotten his collar felt, over log books and running the drvers to death.some of them boys was running 3 Glasgows a week. he had those old AEC Mamoth Majors 4 speed gate change, no heaters no radios bundle up in old blankets to try and stay warm.you would get nice a warm then you would come to a round about, stand up to steer the truck around the round about, no power steering back then, the blankets would fall on the ground and you froze your ■■■ of. ha ha ha but we never complained it did not do any good any way. Smiths of Madiston that was the outfit that woul give me partial loads up to Dundee, then I would go on to Montrose to pick up a load of spuds. I used to load a lot for the “BRS” Aberdeen they would load me out of “Peter Culter” paper mills . for the London Times on fleet st. I liked loading for them as they always had good rates. not like those other theiving gits. creaming 15% of the top then another 10% brokerage fees. the last Truck I drove over there was a “Guy Invincible” with the 6 LX. that wasn’t a bad truck. well Dave take care. John.

Yiddle davies went out of business many years ago (customs and excise problem) so i was told, I worked for 1 of their ex drivers. Harrys son had a firm running out of Silvertown docks on a fruit run i believe, but he sold up maybe 10/12 years ago. Harry died many years ago.

Hi Zulu. When I worked for Davies the only Trucks they had were Tankers, half the time they used to leak. he must have branched out into another mode of Transport for him to get ■■■■■■■ with Customs when I left. I ran an old “HOT” tar tanker to Glasgow 2 a week.came home empty, each time.it must of paid him good to run only one way. I know he got into it big time with J&H Transport, they were always talking about killing each other, I think it had some thing to do with the “Bowaters Paper mill” in Sitingborn in Kent. J&H had the contract, and Davies wanted some of the action. never did find out what happened. that was around 1958-9
J&H and Davies were well matched both a couple of crooks. J&H were a two man operation, one was a jew named “JUNE” I forget what the “H” was named hence J&H. take care. John t.

the customs problem i believe was to do with the old licences fiddle (before newer type o licence) and bent motors,my ex boss said if they were running back bob tail and saw an un hitched trailer, they were to couple it up run it back to the yard where they would get £20 per trailer not bad considering i think he said he was only on the equivalent of £5.00 a week.

that was there specialty, instead of a license in my window they put an ol “Guiness” label. he had one bloke making coppies by hand of a regular license. I guess what ever worked eh? ha ha ha .John T

John T:
J&H were a two man operation, one was a jew named “JUNE” I forget what the “H” was named hence J&H. take care. John t.

J&H were Jeune and Hayman

It was established at one time that Davies had twelve ex-MOD Leyland Hippos all carrying the same registration plates.

There are many, many stories, tales, rumours and urban legends affiliated to the operating style of that group of companies. Some have been proved to be true, but many others are just myths.

The reason for the closure of operations was more to do with a clampdown by the Transport Commissioners on the number of vehicles being operated compared with the number that were actually on the various operating licences. If I remember rightly, there were a series of auctions for the disposal of vehicles - Bowker bought a few bonnetted Mercedes units at one of them.

Marky, yes you are right about J&H I just could not remember there names.I do know that if you called up J&H and said could you move say “Tower Bridge” they would say yes. then sit down and try to figure out how to do it. they would never turn down freight. I shunted for Bowker for a couple of weeks. wasnt there trucks Blue? and Leyland comets?and from the midlands some where. its been so long ago I cant really remember. when I left England in 1964 I dont know how long half of the companys stayed in business. I know the last Trucking co I worked for “CMS Haulage” in Brixton went out of business in 1967. I know that if one of Davies tankers got wrecked he would find another old Banger and change the plates and registeration over. he was a past master at that. back then you could get away with a lot of ■■■■■■■■, but to-day I guess things are a little dfferent. over here back in the mid 1960’s we used to haul hot freight, work all the hours God almighty sent, but not any more. the
States got wise and realised there was good money catching us "GYPSY"S. . I retired this Xmas, turned 70 and I can still remember a little what went on over there. but I have to have my memory jogged every now and then. take care, John T

Hi John

Yes, in those days the Bowker fleet was Deep Blue - later became Deep Blue with a White band. Like a lot of other fleets, they went ‘factory white’ in the mid-eighties.

Bowker were from Blackburn in Lancashire, with depots in Liverpool, Glasgow, Hull, Bermondsey, Bristol and a few others. After rationalisation, they moved their main operating centre to Bamber Bridge (just outside Preston) and now have bases in Hull and in Zeebrugge.

No time at present, but I will put a couple of pictures up when I get chance.