Old transport companies

Shaggy:

jj72:
HARGREAVE - transport side taken over by turner’s of soham, still pork producers

Hi there I actually work in the office at Hargrave International. The pork side has ceased trading now for about the past 3 years. As JJ72 said we are now owned by Turners. We don’t do any continental work anymore, and instead of the old snowflake livery you may remember, we now have a new one, does it look slightly familiar?

Hi just read your post blimmy I used to drink at the Ashford Kent truckstop with some hargrave driver’s a good mate on there named Jim from Glasgow in the late 1990’s (1999 ish) can’t remember his surname any idea where he works today would be nice to get in touch as we had some great laughs and times cheers it’s a long shot. Have a good one

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Alright then how about this…
Anyone remember Peter the Plater. used to work for Hicks, I think he married one of the birds out of the greasy spoon in Dover, or how about Tony Meddings used to be on for Priors, and then there was Black Neville Adams( another good mate of mine, I pulled for Lawrabian at the same time as Neville when he had his White) He pulled for Mavetons and Lawrabian. And what about Red Leader One, on for Lawrabian and Tanker Bill before that, anyone one remember him. I pulled in to the Londra one trip on my way home from Doha, and he stood there and said to me " your late, I heard you were in Aksaray yesterday" !!! What about Johnny Austin and Wing Commander Long. One trip in Bulgy, on our way home, we were all putting our chains on and Wing commander came roaring over the hill, pulled up and said" Hello Chaps, wonderful day for flying" !! then he got back in his truck and off he went.
Phil Houghton’s name springs to mind and so does Ritchie Thorne,used to pull for Whittle and then R& J.

GS OVERLAND:

Alright then how about this…
Anyone remember Peter the Plater. used to work for Hicks, I think he married one of the birds out of the greasy spoon in Dover, or how about Tony Meddings used to be on for Priors, and then there was Black Neville Adams( another good mate of mine, I pulled for Lawrabian at the same time as Neville when he had his White) He pulled for Mavetons and Lawrabian. And what about Red Leader One, on for Lawrabian and Tanker Bill before that, anyone one remember him. I pulled in to the Londra one trip on my way home from Doha, and he stood there and said to me " your late, I heard you were in Aksaray yesterday" !!! What about Johnny Austin and Wing Commander Long. One trip in Bulgy, on our way home, we were all putting our chains on and Wing commander came roaring over the hill, pulled up and said" Hello Chaps, wonderful day for flying" !! then he got back in his truck and off he went.
Phil Houghton’s name springs to mind and so does Ritchie Thorne,used to pull for Whittle and then R& J.

On one trip I ran down from Jordan to the “Mirrors” with Tony Meddings.He was going to Kuwait,I was going to Dahran.He had a load of chocolate in his fridge trailer,and when he got sealed up in Dover,they only put one seal on,on the left hand door!That means,yes you’re thinking ahead of me, the right hand door could still be opened!Every time we stopped for a brew,even in a gang,everyone got a “Twix” or something similar with their tea.

Now the penny has just dropped,Wing Commander Long was Trevor Long,correct?.At one time,he drove for an East anglian firm(Forget the name now)who used to sub for Brit European when I was on there.
It was he I believe who took that writer,Franklyn or whatever his name was,when he was researching to write “Cola Cowboys”.That’s one reason I never bust a gut to get the book,I knew what Trevor was like for filling your head with ■■■■,and the few people I met who had read it but knew the M/E told me it was,shall we say"Massaged".

I only remember 3 guys who worked for Hicks,they were the Hobbs brothers.Bobby,Alan and Dai.Dai was the eldest and unfortunately he died in the Londra.
I put out an appeal in the Trucking magazine some months ago with my phone number for anyone who knew me that was doing M/E in the '70’s and '80’s to give me a call.
I got a call from Bobby Hobbs who is driving for some firm I think he said was in Gloucester.I had a call from my mate Alan Jones from Barnsley who was on Expo freight with me,(Doing Scandinavia and Russia these days),also Alan Shaw on for the same firm.
I also got a letter reply printed from “Hooperman”,about the time we were together on Expo Freight.

bestbooties:
One other Berrisford driver,big lad,was his name Mick Salt?

would he be any relation to carl salt who ran baymex out of stoke in the 80s/90s? only had one (mercifully short) experience of him in Spain one day, which was plenty :unamused:

jj72:

bestbooties:
One other Berrisford driver,big lad,was his name Mick Salt?

would he be any relation to carl salt who ran baymex out of stoke in the 80s/90s? only had one (mercifully short) experience of him in Spain one day, which was plenty :unamused:

Don’t think so,the Mick Salt I knew was a big but gentle bloke,only ran into him a few times when I was doing a bit of local,(Italy).A very nice fella!.

anybody remember or have any pics of W.F Daniels from bromsgrove my old man used to drive for them they used to have the marathon and new scania 111 painted in red and white used to pull for corona :question:

Tammy Hurry-up Harry was Harry Ames.Used to drive an old road train to Swiss for years. His diesel froze up one Winter when he was in Laubli’s yard. The Laubli brother who was the mechanic came over to truck to him & explained in meticulous detail on how to to get the old girl going again. Harry listened to everything & when he had finished Harry said." Why don’t you do it & I’ll make the tea!" Harry worked for Lacey’s the those days.

SMUDGER:
I worked for McKellar Trucking (as it was known then) in the early Eighties. The transport manager was Danny Bungay, Ian McKellar’s brother in law. I have seen Danny driving around in a Scania Topline a few times in McKellars colours so maybe he is just running the one motor. Nice bunch of guys on this firm. Would always help out even when the going got greasy. Nothing was too much trouble. Not the same game anymore now. Blokes just drive past and leave you to it if your stranded. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ian McKellar senior sold his haulage business off to Carr Bros, told us at the time (he was subbie for us every now and then) he had had enough of haulage and all the hassle that goes with it. He still owns the land that Scania have their ‘new’ Purfleet workshops on.
The truck you have probably seen is Ian McKellar Juniors, he bought one (or two?) and ran it on waste disposal, used ot see it up and down A13 alot. I did hear that he was going to get shot of it, haven’t seen it for a while so maybe. By the way, been to see him race cars, ■■■■ good driver.

truckyboy:
been looking through my book of old companies…here are a few…:
BJ MYERS
AUDNEL FREIGHT
L.E.P.
EUROPEAN FREIGHT BUS
EUROMOVE
WEBSTER MILLER
ALBERT FISHER
P.I.E.
AMG INTERFREIGHT
PARTRICK INTERNATIONAL
CABMONT
ATWELL
FALCON ROADWAYS
FAIRFREIGHT INTERNATIONAL
SEABOURNE EXPRESS
NICHOLLS ENFIELD
BARRY TITTERELL
R.H.TROTTMAN
SHENANDOAH
MURPHYS
MARTINTRUX
BOWLER INTERNATIONAL
KELLY FREIGHT
LACEYS BARKING
WENTMORE HAULAGE
LLOYDS LUDLOW
CADWALLADER
O.H.S.
VISBEEN
FREIGHT FORCE
U.F.O.
HICKS
LOWE PADDOCK WOOD
FERRY FREIGHTING
HARGREAVE
MONDIAL
WHITE TRUX
ROBA
MCKELLA
BERESFORD
DOW FREIGHT
MYERS
SEE IF YOU KNOW SOME OF THESE

yep BJ mYers closed down after alot of Ministry hassle, friend of mine worked on there, had a nice fleet of Magnums, some in Belgium company IFAC colours.
Bassetts bought out Beresfords, been in touch with them recently as building a Beresford model, really nice people.
Visbeen still going, part of group including Daily Fresh and those type trucks, real flyers, heard some horrifying stories from some of them whilst sitting with them on Eurotunnel a few years back.
Caddies are still going, run by two sons I believe, as I understand it they rent out trucks and trailers.
Is Falcon the lot who ran out of Bolougne with the double deckers on white goods transport? If so they went pop.
And LEP, then Geologistics have just changed their name again to Agility Logistics.

truckyboy:
been looking through my book of old companies…here are a few…:
CABMONT

I worked for Cabmont from their St Helens depot 1971-1982. I found them to be a very good firm to work for. Does anyone know why and when they closed down? and more’s to the point, does anyone have any photos of their fleet.?

Lloyds are still going & so is Visbeens.

visbeens celabrated there 80th anaversery a few years back when i was there not meny firms been going that long i think

maverick72:
anybody remember or have any pics of W.F Daniels from bromsgrove my old man used to drive for them they used to have the marathon and new scania 111 painted in red and white used to pull for corona :question:

Didn’t they have a fleet of union jack ERF’s before they closed in the early 80’s. I seem to remember their yard being near Merry Hill. As for Lloyds of Ludlow, they sold up a year or two back. Their sliderflex steel trailers can be seen being pulled by Multiserv/Faber Prest motors.

Wheel Nut:
A bit more recent perhaps, but we were reminiscing t’other day about some tanker companies :wink:

Freighthire, Pilkingtons, Fleet Haulage of Ribchester, Fleet had a fleet of dog rough DAFS and the drivers were not much better :smiley:

If that’s Pilkingtons tankers from County Durham they packed up years ago. Had a tidy fleet of green MANs & Dafs I remember.

Mackem:

maverick72:

Didn’t they have a fleet of union jack ERF’s before they closed in the early 80’s. I seem to remember their yard being near Merry Hill. As for Lloyds of Ludlow, they sold up a year or two back. Their sliderflex steel trailers can be seen being pulled by Multiserv/Faber Prest motors.

yeah they moved to merry hill from lydiate ash and closed in the early nineties sadly i think old billy daniel has passed on now

Does anyone remember a small firm from Leicester . CJ CRANE & SON . Ran up until the 1980s , Started in the 1920s . In the later years ran TERRIERS and FGs mainly . Had GUYS and ALBIONS in the 60s , Yellow and black motors .

loyds shut up shop in 2003 ithink

does anyone remember robinsons london \black and red scanias.out of hackney and deptford :laughing:

Mackem:

maverick72:

Was it not suttons of st helens that had the fleet of union jack erf,s.

Yes “DieselDave” you are right it was Suttons of St. Helens who ran the ERF,s with the Union Jack on the front and for some unknown reason there are virtually no Suttons wagons in preservation (except an Atki 6wheel tractor unit) which I think has been converted to a recovery truck in Yorkshire somewhere.