Old northamptonshire companys

Havent heard of Robert Corfe, what did they run??

M & B did used to do a lot of continental with their blue & silver DAFs and I think they had a Volvo or two

Robert Corfe used to run white Renault R340 an R385 Turboliners with supercube tilts, He was a posh old boy from out near Market Harboro way im sure he had Northants on his trailers.

Doesnt ring a bell with me mate.

Does anyone remember the o/d that used to run for Spriggs with the ex Edwin Shirley F88 named " Ed Pink" or for that matter the silver F88 that ran about with Abba (as in the group) on it. Was used by them on a UK tour but had a VV Northampton reg mark.

Or for that matter any of the gear that John Billows ran prior to becoming a Volvo agent.

Wrefords from ransome road northampton, Howards who done milk deliveries, barrick’s Overstone road, bleasoe-brown, chalice, taken over by Butts, broughton cold stores, Knights of Old, the Cowan bothers of stoney stratford, Camping gaz of sywell, couple in Roade, names ?, Bugbrook mill grain lorries, bulwalks for Carlsberg, Walkers of Leicester, depot at Carlsberg, then formed into Copenhagen transport, Lant’s, Corona, Pickfords, Brs lincoln road, Brs parcels, Brs Duston, Rogers of Duston ( Bristish Timkins Work ), Northampton LMS scammells, Greenshield stamps, then became Argus, MFI, Wim Bosman( Holland) at Duston, M&B used to pull for them, Sandman Norman

some more : Independent express, agnew & Lithgow , London carriers, M & B transport , Harris haulage , Harry browns , Blucars bugbrooke , Mike Butts , City transport , Holtons , Wrights , Chettles , Kings haulage , Paul binns Haulage ,Clarks , Abbotts , wilkinsons ,Ipec , Brs , Norspeed , MFI @ brackmills , Telfers , Carrycare , Roadferrys , Dukes , Corringdons , Micky Bennett , Bass charrington

M&B Transport with the silver/blue Volvos was run by Michael Bletsoe-Brown, the elder brother of David Bletsoe-Brown who currently runs out of Kettering. Michael is now running the Sywell Airport complex.

hi ,do any of our older members remember this old northamptonshire company :question:

hi. another golden oldie northants company,mallards.they used run mainly tippers on sand and gravel, they were taken over by w g eales transport another well known northants transport company.(or should that be logistic company) :unamused:

Got to be logistics now Dan :roll

I just forget how much it cost Wincanton to change the livery from Distribution to Logistics but it was a tidy sum.They could have given us a pay rise instead :astonished:

hi,ref silver f88 in abba colours.see above posts.
it belonged to harborne rentals in wellingborough,i drove it for some time while my lorry was off the road.it was the first f88 that i had driven,my usual lorry was a1976 erf,so you can imagine how excited i was to be given this,i just couldnt believe how much power it had,hills where i was in 2nd gear in the erf i was flying up 6th high.and with abba playing on the stereo arm out the window i thought i was jack the lad.(what a plonker).untill then i thought erf and gardner engines were the tops,it took another 25 years to drive an erf that impressed me like that volvo, and that was a ec m11 380. also the ed pink volvo f88 mentioned in the above post is the one that spriggs transport now takes on the rally scene after being rebuilt a couple of times.

One of M&B’s Volvos, now in preservation. Usually seen on the 'Steel Boys ’ runs.

anyone remember haulage firm at little houghton :question: , dark green lorries , think they ran some Atkis :arrow_right: were they called Munsons :question: :question:

Does anyone remember a company called J T Padbury Limited?. These used to run a fleet of green scanias with a red stripe on the doors on livestock haulage. They used to run from Northampton down to Launceston cattle market each week, arriving in monday night ready to load and leave on Tuesday. Does anyone have any pics of any of their wagons?
Thanks

classicman:
One of M&B’s Volvos, now in preservation. Usually seen on the 'Steel Boys ’ runs.

This F12 Volvo belongs to David Hopkins a pal of mine he had this AEC before the Volvo

John

Look closely you will see Dave at the wheel, having just arrived at Gaydon 2006.

hi, ref jt padbury.
i seem to recall that the company had an arson attack and several of their lorries were burnt out,and then they packed up.i might be wrong though, it was a long time ago.perhaps sandman norman remembers as he lives local

diesel dan:
hi, ref jt padbury.
i seem to recall that the company had an arson attack and several of their lorries were burnt out,and then they packed up.i might be wrong though, it was a long time ago.perhaps sandman norman remembers as he lives local

I seem to remember the same. I think the ‘animal rights movement’ were in the frame for it, but I don’t think anything was ever proved. I think they operated out of somewhere on the Billing/Cogenhoe road.

Padbury, I remember them in 1965, I was always passing them when I worked for Fmc Brackley ( Fatstock marketing Corp ) they was formed by farmers, they did meat and had depots all over the place, Brackley did poultry, which was sold to Swanvalley chickens, then a chap who ran a poultry house at a villiage named Whitfield outside Brackley, I think his first name was Roger, the other was Fasenda, he then ran other houses the cotswold side of Banbury, he did well, was a hard worker, and always rewarded men who worked hard by his side. he purchased the chicken factory on the Buckingham road after Swan valley, he ran it until he retired, do not know what happened to it then. Back to Padbury used to see several of there vehicle parked up on the A413 Buckingham to winslow, I thought they had a depot there, it was not until after I was on Brs and then on to Overland I found out they had problems with suspected arson, I will put my feelers out, and even ask my bowling mate Cyril Starr who was a ex- director of Butts, he will probaly know. Sandman Norman

Diesel Dan, do you have any pics of the Abba F88?

Ive enjoyed seeing your United Carriers pics on that thread, used to see em everyday once, along with Wilkinson Transport and Atlas Express.

Cheers
Mark

ref, road commander 2
hi mark, sorry i have,nt got any picts of abba,f88, but i have a pict of one of wilkinsons for you (known as the razorblade squadren).
used to know the driver of partricks white ,his cb handle was rough rider and if you have driven a white you will under stand why he had that name.in an earlier post you mentioned wg eales transport.i worked for them for a couple years in the sixtys,and very often was sent over to rushton quarry to drive one of their foden dumpers, they only had four cylinder two stroke engine but with twelve gears they could really shift on on the main highway,the dumper side of the company went by the name of m.h.g.c (mineral hualage&general contractors). i believe eales were sold out to harbornes in the early eighties