Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Carl Williams:

tyneside:

Kempston:

Lawrence Dunbar:
There is another Banks Haulier in the North East. The had e few surface mining sites, They used to supply the Alcan Plant at Lynemouth. They had blue & yellow livery, Larry.

Don’t know if they are the same company, might be under the same umbrella but Banks of sandy were primarily agricultural hauliers with back loads of other products. Could’ve bought them out of course.

They also had the Daf garage in Bedford, when I worked for Shanks our lorries were under contract maintenance by them, the workshop is now owned by Brian Currie from MK. A couple of photos unfortunately I could only find it in Brian Currie livery, I’ve spent many an hour or 4 in there waiting for a lorry to be repaired.

Carl I have sent you a PM. Tyneside

Do not think there is any connection between the two companies, the Banks Group from Co. Durham have three distinct activities, Mining, Construction (industrial and housing) and Renewables.
Tyneside

I think also they were origionaly Banks Brothers & they live round here. I remember about 30 odd years ago one of the family had a daughter at Durham High School when my daughter was there

Oops wrong post!,

tyneside:
Oops wrong post!,

A tipal too many perhaps Tyneside :question: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,Larry

Ray Brown:
Interesting responses regarding Banks Brothers it’s nice to keep the thread going. Kempson you are right, the green and yellow truck is Banks of Sandy Bedfordshire, they were agriculture. The Banks Brothers trucks in the North East were blue and yellow. The company was owned by the four Banks Brothers who’s offices were in Meadowfield Co Durham and I’ve got a few photos to post at a later date. Bank’s Brothers Mining was formed in 1976 and the haulage side started in 1982.
Here’s a few more nice motors.
Visited the 2022 Truckfest at Woolsingham today, I wasn’t impressed with the £17 entrance fee and high prices of food etc, getting too old for this I think!! All the trucks looked the same to me unlike the old shows in previous years.
Cheers Ray.

I think Banks Brothers took over Golightly Group, cannot remember when but possibly thats when they entered haulage. They took over Golightly’s West Cornforth depot. I heard a year or two ago they were moving out of there but although they seem to have run down there presence they are still there in a smaller way. I don’t know where they moved or are moving to

Carl Williams:

Ray Brown:
Interesting responses regarding Banks Brothers it’s nice to keep the thread going. Kempson you are right, the green and yellow truck is Banks of Sandy Bedfordshire, they were agriculture. The Banks Brothers trucks in the North East were blue and yellow. The company was owned by the four Banks Brothers who’s offices were in Meadowfield Co Durham and I’ve got a few photos to post at a later date. Bank’s Brothers Mining was formed in 1976 and the haulage side started in 1982.
Here’s a few more nice motors.
Visited the 2022 Truckfest at Woolsingham today, I wasn’t impressed with the £17 entrance fee and high prices of food etc, getting too old for this I think!! All the trucks looked the same to me unlike the old shows in previous years.
Cheers Ray.

I think Banks Brothers took over Golightly Group, cannot remember when but possibly thats when they entered haulage. They took over Golightly’s West Cornforth depot. I heard a year or two ago they were moving out of there but although they seem to have run down there presence they are still there in a smaller way. I don’t know where they moved or are moving to

Just had a quick look on their website - Head Office is at Meadowfield, transport depot is at Thrislington, West Cornforth and they also have depot / office at Leeds and Hamilton in Scotland
TYneside

Banks.jpg

Banks 3.jpg

Banks 2.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:
Oops wrong post!,

A tipal too many perhaps Tyneside :question: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,Larry

Now then Larry, presently sampling a single malt from the Cotswolds, little bit different to the usual suspects from north of the border.
TYneside :blush: :blush:

Cheers Ray.

The last time I went to the Great Yorkshire Show was 15 / 16 years ago and the entrance was £24.00.
Used to go every year in the sixties with my Dad and one of his life long friends who was a dairy farmer. All of the CV main dealers from Yorkshire would have a stand so plenty to see. Not a CV in sight the last time I went

Tyneside

F&F Moffatt parked at Wooler riverside opposite Redpath’s yard; NMP

tyneside:

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:
Oops wrong post!,

Now then Larry, presently sampling a single malt from the Cotswolds, little bit different to the usual suspects from north of the border.

Hi Tyneside, I’ve just finished a bottle of Cotswold Whisky Cream Liquer, not a patch on Baileys but twice the price.
I was into the Scotch malts a while ago but have been enjoying Irish malts lately. My favourite at the minute is Jamesons Orange with Baileys. Quite a few more to try yet though. CHEERS!!!

To the right of this Foden there’s one of Cazely’s motors from Gosforth. My brother drove for them for a while and the Leyland Comet is Armstrong Cork from Team Valley as it has a Gateshead registration.

Ray Brown:

tyneside:

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:
Oops wrong post!,

Hi Tyneside, I’ve just finished a bottle of Cotswold Whisky Cream Liquer, not a patch on Baileys but twice the price.
I was into the Scotch malts a while ago but have been enjoying Irish malts lately. My favourite at the minute is Jamesons Orange with Baileys. Quite a few more to try yet though. CHEERS!!!

You’ve finally seen the light Larry!! Regards Kev.

Hi Tyneside, Im having a couple of the Cotswold single malt right now, 2014 Odyssey Barley, 46 volt, :smiley: , Larry.

Ray Brown:
To the right of this Foden there’s one of Cazely’s motors from Gosforth. My brother drove for them for a while and the Leyland Comet is Armstrong Cork from Team Valley as it has a Gateshead registration.

Here’s a shot of that Comet in later years, that’s the late Bill Wilkinson who worked at Armstrong Cork for many years. He bought and restored it. I think that shot was at the Gateshead Garden Festival. Bill was definitely one of the characters of our industry, great fun, friendly to all who met him, and an absolute fount of knowledge relating to transport and vehicles in the North East of England and beyond. Regards Kev.

IMG_4070.JPG