Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Hepplewhite and Shaw, Sunderland. I did not know about this company but after a little research it appears they were quite a large concern and bought one or two smaller companies over the years, they were eventually Nationalised after WW2.
The last shot is Joe Hepplewhite early in his working life driving a Vaux dray.
Tyneside

tyneside:
Hepplewhite and Shaw, Sunderland. I did not know about this company but after a little research it appears they were quite a large concern and bought one or two smaller companies over the years, they were eventually Nationalised after WW2.
The last shot is Joe Hepplewhite early in his working life driving a Vaux dray.
Tyneside

The eight wheeler looks a tad overloaded to me unless it’s just the angle of the photo.

Edward Thompson paper mill Sunderland

ravda:

I used to tip paper reels next door to there, in the old Domtar paper mill at Hendon, it might even have been part of the same group. The reels were a regular back load from Dartford Papermill. As far as I remember Edward Thompson printed and distributed bingo books.
An old workmate from Waughs went to work there, Jimmy Searle, known to all as “the Black Prince” for reasons that were obvious . Regards Kev. EDIT. I thought I’d better add, he never spent much on soap. :unamused: :unamused:

kevmac47:

ravda:

I used to tip paper reels next door to there, in the old Domtar paper mill at Hendon, it might even have been part of the same group. The reels were a regular back load from Dartford Papermill. As far as I remember Edward Thompson printed and distributed bingo books.
An old workmate from Waughs went to work there, Jimmy Searle, known to all as “the Black Prince” for reasons that were obvious . Regards Kev. EDIT. I thought I’d better add, he never spent much on soap. :unamused: :unamused:[/quote Hi Kev, There was one driver at Baxters called the Black Night, And one at Smilers called Snow Flake, Of course there would be plenty more in those days Eh, I wouldnt care but Baxters hauled soap as you know and it was free if you wanted it,.I used to have a couple of bars of Camay in the cab, I dont need to tell you who told me to do this of course, It was a precaution just in case cab traffic was on the scene, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Take care my friend, Regards Larry.

Bewick:

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Forster, Great stuff, The ERF Is a 1947, The S 18 Foden Is a 1955, The Albion Is a 1939/40, Thanks for posting them, Regards Larry.

Hiya
Aye’ Larry, and I noiced a couple of Blackburn and a Toon reg among Robbo’s
motors I wonder was the Blackburn reg motors ex Griffiths or Bowker seems
strange Robsons registering their vehicles so far away from home.
PS, oops one of the motors I thought was Toon reg was in fact Carlisle.

How you keeping “H” ? Sound as a £ in 1960 I trust ! :wink: Can I add my Two’ peneth about these odd Robson reg nos. I reckon they would have been bought with their “A” Licences from BRS in the early/mid 50’s when Stan was relaunching his business. They wouldn’t have been either bought new or registered by Robsons and by the looks of them they wouldn’t have remained very long in the Robson fleet and would have been quickly replaced by new Fodens and Fords. I do , of course, stand to be corrected ! Regards Dennis.

I’m sure you’re right, young Dennis. Bowker had some ABVs in the late 30s, but no Albions ever, as far as I’m aware. They were starting to get into Atkis just before the war

ERF Chinese six.

Featherstones Leyland Marathon

Some Reddifusion Vans from Gateshead / Newcastle Tyneside

174842262_125827109572735_1210572162610089627_n.jpg

174316410_125827066239406_4405232952472949928_n.jpg

174067075_125827039572742_3035835785964559236_n.jpg

173957007_125827089572737_1233835356113900049_n.jpg

Tyneside

tyneside:
Tyneside

That bottom pic looks like a Crossley to me. It’s got a Crossley radiator on it.

ERF-NGC-European:

tyneside:
Tyneside

That bottom pic looks like a Crossley to me. It’s got a Crossley radiator on it.

The picture came from a local history F/B page. The OP thought it was an Armstrong and had been built at Scotswood but other thought it was Crossley. As mentioned well before my time !!!

Tyneside

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries. Old North East Haulage Companies.378. Crossley Motor Lorry. Monday,19th April,2021. VALKYRIE

Tyneside:

ERF-NGC-European:

Tyneside:
Tyneside

The picture came from a local history F/B page. The OP thought it was an Armstrong and had been built at Scotswood but other thought it was Crossley. As mentioned well before my time !!!

Tyneside

ERF-NGC-European is right :slight_smile: The motor lorry is a Crossley Atlas. Crossley motorcars were made in Gorton,Manchester,and Crossley motorcoaches,buses,trolleybuses

and lorries over the years were made in Gorton,Manchester and Stockport,Cheshire.

Crossley Atlas,Crossley VR6 Oil-Engined,Dropside,4x2,Lorry Drawbar Trailer Outfit,CW 1096,Burnley,1931,E.W.Rudd,London,163.TN,OTL,O.North East HC,378.4-2021.Tyneside.3#

VALKYRIE

Ex Reids Transport .

Shows how trucks have increased in size over the years.

ravda:
Featherstones Leyland Marathon

Advert featuring Featherstones Marathon.

'ERF-NGC-European wrote:

That bottom pic looks like a Crossley to me. It’s got a Crossley radiator on it.’ Quote

Its a Crossley Beta model, they produced a few goods chassis during the 1920’s and 30’s. The GW registration is for the London area Dec 1931 to March 1932, it does have London signwritten on the door and the reg no pretty much dates this wagon and drag. The vehicle in the photo would have been from the 1930’s production of Diesel goods vehicles from 3 to 7 Tons payload (all weights back then were given as payloads rather than gross weights as today) A few years later came the Atlas range of lorries, forward control and a six wheel double drive model for 12 Tons. The production was brought to an end in 1939 at the beginning of WWII when Crossley built a military 4x4 forward control known as the Q Type and mainly supplied to the RAF. However after the war no further goods vehicles were built and the company along with Maudsley were absorbed by Associated Commercial Vehicles (AEC) in 1948. ACV did still supply AEC vehicles for export under the Crossley name until the late 1950’s. Franky.

VALKYRIE:
TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries. Old North East Haulage Companies.378. Crossley Motor Lorry. Monday,19th April,2021. VALKYRIE

Tyneside:

ERF-NGC-European:

Tyneside:
Tyneside

Tyneside

ERF-NGC-European is right :slight_smile: The motor lorry is a Crossley Atlas. Crossley motorcars were made in Gorton,Manchester,and Crossley motorcoaches,buses,trolleybuses

and lorries over the years were made in Gorton,Manchester and Stockport,Cheshire.

Crossley Atlas,Crossley VR6 Oil-Engined,Dropside,4x2,Lorry Drawbar Trailer Outfit,CW 1096,Burnley,1931,E.W.Rudd,London,163.TN,OTL,O.North East HC,378.4-2021.Tyneside.3#

VALKYRIE

Cheers Valkyrie! :sunglasses:

I would say the reg no of the Crossley is GW (London) rather than CW (Burnley) the CW registrations went to March 1930 from 1904, just a pinch too early for this model and London where the vehicle operated from would likely be registered there too. Franky.