Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Dave Lowdon & Simpsons 011.JPG
Dave Lowdon & Simpsons 013.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

Little before my time but was this entrance to Steenbergs yard ■■ Tyneside

tyneside:

Yes Bob, that was the entrance, there is a left bend half way through, going in was the easy bit, getting out was a different matter! It wasn’t built for artics, the trailer rave rails took a bit of a hiding, and sheeting was better done outside to save damaging them on the walls. Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

tyneside:

Yes Bob, that was the entrance, there is a left bend half way through, going in was the easy bit, getting out was a different matter! It wasn’t built for artics, the trailer rave rails took a bit of a hiding, and sheeting was better done outside to save damaging them on the walls. Regards Kev.

Thanks Kev

Back then I didn’t know that end of the quayside that well. When I was small it was usually over the Swing Bridge and turn left along Skinnerburn Rd to Adams & Gibbons or over the old Redheugh Bridge to the mart. Tyneside

tyneside:

kevmac47:

tyneside:

Thanks Kev

Back then I didn’t know that end of the quayside that well. When I was small it was usually over the Swing Bridge and turn left along Skinnerburn Rd to Adams & Gibbons or over the old Redheugh Bridge to the mart. Tyneside

I’m sure Frankidobo will be along with a few more tales from Steenbergs , his late dad was a long time employee there. One thing I do remember is, no-one was ever left to muddle on or struggle there, you always had help and guidance from the crew on site. Regards Kev.

Ah that’s a good old pic Tyneside I haven’t seen that before. Yes the dog leg once through the archway was a tester and not all of Steenbergs drivers could even reverse into it. It wasn’t unusual for lads delivering from other parts of the country to ask if one of the firms drivers could back their motor in for them to be loaded or tipped. There was more room once you got passed the tunnel section and onto the warehouses at the top of the yard which had the Ouseburn running along one side ( I once as an apprentice knocked a bit of wall into the burn with a single axle trailer when I got just a bit too close!). The rails outside often had the J72 shunting engines running back and forwards, I used to be mesmerised as a youngster with all this heavy noisy action going on just feet away. I think they are rail wagons on the right of the pic. When the 40ft trailers came into use it was an even bigger challenge to get in and out unscathed! Dad did own a Ford Popular around the time of this photo but I don’t think the one outside is his, more likely the Traffic Managers Ray Caldwell who was a smashing bloke and put up with some stick from the lads, all good natured though. The reg on the Trader seems to be one of the old two letter reg’s, Dads was 507 FUP and went like stink. Cheers for this Tyneside my siblings will be pleased to see this too we all have many memories from that spot. Franky.

Frankydobo:
Ah that’s a good old pic Tyneside I haven’t seen that before. Yes the dog leg once through the archway was a tester and not all of Steenbergs drivers could even reverse into it. It wasn’t unusual for lads delivering from other parts of the country to ask if one of the firms drivers could back their motor in for them to be loaded or tipped. There was more room once you got passed the tunnel section and onto the warehouses at the top of the yard which had the Ouseburn running along one side ( I once as an apprentice knocked a bit of wall into the burn with a single axle trailer when I got just a bit too close!). The rails outside often had the J72 shunting engines running back and forwards, I used to be mesmerised as a youngster with all this heavy noisy action going on just feet away. I think they are rail wagons on the right of the pic. When the 40ft trailers came into use it was an even bigger challenge to get in and out unscathed! Dad did own a Ford Popular around the time of this photo but I don’t think the one outside is his, more likely the Traffic Managers Ray Caldwell who was a smashing bloke and put up with some stick from the lads, all good natured though. The reg on the Trader seems to be one of the old two letter reg’s, Dads was 507 FUP and went like stink. Cheers for this Tyneside my siblings will be pleased to see this too we all have many memories from that spot. Franky.

Thanks Franky. Amazing how one mundane looking photo can stir up the old memory cells. Tyneside

This photo IMO Is one of the best about hauliers from the Quayside, I cant name all these lads, But Jock Mundell is one of them, The good old days IMOO, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This photo IMO Is one of the best about hauliers from the Quayside, I cant name all these lads, But Jock Mundell is one of them, The good old days IMOO, Regards Larry.

If I RC, The Seddon artic was ■■?CBB, Perhaps Franky might know the full Reg, Regards Larry.

It sure can Tyneside too many to quickly write about really. I have three older and one younger Brothers and apart from Alan the second oldest we others all worked for the company at different times, he had joined the army straight from school so never actually got the chance. My other two older Brothers worked in the warehouses and although the youngest didn’t actually work for Steenbergs he did work for Maynards Wine Gums who also had their place inside those arches, as mentioned I was an apprentice fitter in the firms workshop, so quite a lot of tales over the years were related at the tea table in the evenings and of course we all were regularly on trips with our Dad too. I did return in the 80’s to drive a 401 Twin Steer when the offices had moved to Stepney Bank by then and the company now very much reduced was being run by one of the Steenberg sons, unfortunately it was a far cry from those earlier days and when I left after about 18 mths to work for Fergusons the place didn’t last much longer. My Father told me that at one period in the 60’s/70’s Steenberg owned almost all the warehousing on the Quayside and Gateshead, it was a shame to see how it had declined. Franky.

Frankydobo:
It sure can Tyneside too many to quickly write about really. I have three older and one younger Brothers and apart from Alan the second oldest we others all worked for the company at different times, he had joined the army straight from school so never actually got the chance. My other two older Brothers worked in the warehouses and although the youngest didn’t actually work for Steenbergs he did work for Maynards Wine Gums who also had their place inside those arches, as mentioned I was an apprentice fitter in the firms workshop, so quite a lot of tales over the years were related at the tea table in the evenings and of course we all were regularly on trips with our Dad too. I did return in the 80’s to drive a 401 Twin Steer when the offices had moved to Stepney Bank by then and the company now very much reduced was being run by one of the Steenberg sons, unfortunately it was a far cry from those earlier days and when I left after about 18 mths to work for Fergusons the place didn’t last much longer. My Father told me that at one period in the 60’s/70’s Steenberg owned almost all the warehousing on the Quayside and Gateshead, it was a shame to see how it had declined. Franky.

Hi Franky, Would I be correct In saying that Steenbergs bought some of Baxters wagons along with the Carnation Milk storage :question: , Plus they bought a 4 wheeler Atkinson WTN 58 and ran it for a short while on local work, Stay safe my friend, Regards Larry.

Another good pic Larry, sorry I can’t recall the reg no of the Seddon it is a Mk14 I believe, as for the drivers that’s Bob Best to Jock Mundells right rear standing and I recognize the others but the names escape me just now but I think the lad kneeling on the right was called Hepple who sadly died probably not many years after this photo, I recall dad being quite upset at this as he was a lovely guy. Bob Best was a character, an ex Navy lad and I was told he ended up in the Ouseburn three times, twice accidently and the other he just dived in, mad as a hatter the burn wasn’t the cleanest of waters back then. When I was an apprentice he had given up driving to work as a trailer fitter getting them sorted for test with another old hand Brian Machin who it was said had a weak bladder and could direct you anywhere around the country with reference to the Public Toilets! Happy days Franky.

Volvo F86

f86.jpg

N M

P.

Some great photos, here’s one or two more Tyneside

Couple of shots of Dragone ice cream vans from the past and the bus depot at Fulwell. Tyneside