Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Thats a cracking photo of The Dodge tipper,I only ran one as a owner driver, But it was a good motor IMO, 10.750 tonnes paylaod, It would go anyware 0ff road, But I also did some long hauls with it, I regret not preserving it, Regards Larry.

Can you help Larry, I have posed a question about a couple of Dunfermline hauliers from yesteryear “David West” and “Lovat Raine” as to whether they were the same firm or connected any ideas Mate ? Regards Dennis.

David West was purchased by TDG around the early 60s , they ran a very smart fleet and were mainly hauling for paper mills in Fife . TDG owned many small companies in the central belt of Scotand and West’s were absorbed into both Russell of Bathgate and John Russell Grangemouth and ceased to exist .Lovat Raine was based in Cowdenbeath found themselves in financial difficulties and closed down around the early 60s .

Leyland600:
One very windy day in 1970 or 71 I delivered a load of these blue granite precast concrete panels to St Andrews House adjacent to the Tyne Bridge brought from Solway Pre Cast Products at Creetown. The panels were lifted off by a tower crane situated down below the Tyne Bridge approach roadways which was a precarious operation due to the high winds and the rapid lifting once the each panel was slung. I think the crane was situated at the oposite end of this building.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi Leyland 600 Interesting note. The Bank of England building on Pilgrim Street roundabout just off the bridge was constructed with concrete panels which were made at Springwell Quarry. The Harrison family who owned the quarry created a company called Norcrete (I think) specifically for the job.
Steetley Dennif had a plant at the top of the quarry and supplied the concrete, we had a couple of four wheel flats fitted out with a framework to transport the panels from quarry to site.

Tyneside

Hiya,
Does anyone remember Gordon Seymour who had his yard on the No1 Industrial
Estate Consett had a few tippers at one time but weht off the map pretty quick.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Does anyone remember Gordon Seymour who had his yard on the No1 Industrial
Estate Consett had a few tippers at one time but weht off the map pretty quick.

Hi Harry, IIRC there was more than one Seymour in the Consett area. I remember Gordon, he had one or two Volvo 8 wheelers. (must have been early eighties) Think he got his fingers burnt when a Civil Engineer Co. went bust (occupational hazard!!!) Shortly after that he reappeared with a 7.5 ton Merc flat and we did a couple of repairs for him but then he disappeared again and I never saw him again.

Tyneside

An old north east haulage company from Hartlepool Clevestone transport.

Bad news, A local driver who worked for a lot of North East Hauliers has passed away , MICK FINLEY, AKA Mad Mick, He was a great lad who enjoyed life to the full, Im sure he will be sadley missed by a lot of people, RIP Mick, Regards Larry.

Hiya,
Hang up your keys Mick you’ve done enough condolences to your family
RIP mate.

IIRC This is the motor he had at Jackeys, Regards Larry. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Do any of you N.East Lads remember a guy called Alan Metcalfe who was the Northern Rep for Boalloy ? I did many deals with Boalloy when I was buying Tautliners ! he was a decent Bloke to chat with about the product but then again Tautliner had no serious challenge to them during the 80’s/90’s . I must have bought almost two hundred or more Tautliners but I mainly dealt with Gerry Brown and Jim Gibb and really Alan only used to call on me as a matter of courtesy when he was in South ■■■■■■■■ Cheers Dennis.

ravda:
An old north east haulage company from Hartlepool Clevestone transport.

And still going today. Passed an 8 legger (Mercedes) in Shotton last week.

Amal Reetman:
Charlton of Gateshead International Harvester1700 Loadstar tipper truck

William Gallagher and Son’s( Demolition) of Seaham had a few of these Harvester’s in the late sixties (painted orange and black lettering) Went bust in the late 90’s i think.

Amal Reetman:

Nortumbria Roadways had some of these in tractor unit form with the perkins 6.354 engine in iirc as i was only a young un then

mickd1958:

Amal Reetman:

Nortumbria Roadways had some of these in tractor unit form with the perkins 6.354 engine in iirc as i was only a young un then

Thats quite correct, They were owned by T.T.Walker Ltd Newburn, In blue livery, Their depot was at Dunston, In later years it was taken over by Peter Corbet, Trading as Freeway Haulage, The good old long gone days IMO, Regards Larry.

mickd1958:

Amal Reetman:

Thats quite correct, They were owned by T.T.Walker Ltd Newburn, In blue livery, Their depot was at Dunston, In later years it was taken over by Peter Corbet, Trading as Freeway Haulage, The good old long gone days IMO, Regards Larry.

Econofreight

1.png

2.png

3.png

Martin Oliver

W. A. Glendinning

1.jpg

Pickfords delivering to consett steel works, pictured at central crossroads front street. The Black Horse pub in top right of picture.

VERY SAD NEWS :
Hey everyone. On behalf of Denny’s partner Gill , I am absolutely shocked and deeply saddened to inform you of the death of our friend Den Van Diesel (Denny Mochan)
Denny died on Sunday evening, 5th April.
Please understand that this is a very difficult time for Gill and we ask you to respect her privacy at this very upsetting and difficult time. The cause of death with be confirmed in due course, but please don’t assume anything in these very strange and unusual days.
That’s all for now I’m afraid.
Please all of you guys take care.

Just seen this I know Denny was a driver from Northumberland I had a few conversations with him nice guy told bad jokes mind quietly spoken

Spoke to him via internet early Sunday evening he also played bass in several bands

Not sure who this outfit was from Allendale?

28902940726_08d8a7b81a.jpg