Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

hi diane do you have any off your dads pictures from pw days hope all ok

Tony

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Corebridge Show July 2015, Regards Larry.

Thats a good photograph of that car , the SF registration would suggest its Scottish , perhaps the next time you are in contact with Mr Crow you could ask him Lawrence ?.

Hi Shugg, Its from Edinburgh, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
J.R.Henderson Ltd Newburn, A well known local haulage Co, run by the infamous Ronnie Henderson, what a character he was , I enjoyed his company many times at RHA, meetings , he was a very hands on person was Ronnie worked hard to get where he got in the industry, I did a bit of work for him, & he did a bit for me , sound as a pound was Ronnie, can anyone tell me if he is still about, I would like to see him again for old times sake, Regards Larry

I worked for Ronnie 3 times before moving to Australia. I used to chat with him now and again and he was talking about coming to Australia to visit me. He went into hospital for some routine surgery and died in hospital.
He was truly the salt of the earth. Rest in peace old friend.

doug wheeler:

Lawrence Dunbar:
J.R.Henderson Ltd Newburn, A well known local haulage Co, run by the infamous Ronnie Henderson, what a character he was , I enjoyed his company many times at RHA, meetings , he was a very hands on person was Ronnie worked hard to get where he got in the industry, I did a bit of work for him, & he did a bit for me , sound as a pound was Ronnie, can anyone tell me if he is still about, I would like to see him again for old times sake, Regards Larry

I worked for Ronnie 3 times before moving to Australia. I used to chat with him now and again and he was talking about coming to Australia to visit me. He went into hospital for some routine surgery and died in hospital.

Hi Doug, Ronnie was a great friend of mine, Id did learn of his passing away some time ago, Can you remember Bobby Meggs an ex Smiles for Miles driver who worked for Ronnie after the demise of Smiles & Co Ltd., He was another great friend of mine, Sadley he passed away at the good old age of 94, I attened his funeral and spoke to his son young Bobby who is also a wagon driver, Also Dickie Ramsay who now drives for J R Adams at Swalwell worked for Henderson, Ronnies son Paul is now a manager of a shooting range at Felton a firm called A Hennry & Sons who are also good friends of mine, Its nice to hear blasts from the past, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

doug wheeler:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hi Doug, Ronnie was a great friend of mine, Id did learn of his passing away some time ago, Can you remember Bobby Meggs an ex Smiles for Miles driver who worked for Ronnie after the demise of Smiles & Co Ltd., He was another great friend of mine, Sadley he passed away at the good old age of 94, I attened his funeral and spoke to his son young Bobby who is also a wagon driver, Also Dickie Ramsay who now drives for J R Adams at Swalwell worked for Henderson, Ronnies son Paul is now a manager of a shooting range at Felton a firm called A Hennry & Sons who are also good friends of mine, Its nice to hear blasts from the past, Regards Larry.

Bobby Meggs works at Fresh Freight runs out of the Washington depot on fridge work they also have a depot in the Fruit market at team valley

Hi Ang, This is Bobbies son, I was speaking to him at his Dads funeral, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Ang, This is Bobbies son, I was speaking to him at his Dads funeral, Regards Larry.

Yep must be

Sad news, Murray Hogg of Murray Hogg Transport Ltd has passed away at the age of 84. He was a great bloke to know just like the rest of the Hoggs . RIP Murray he will be sadley missed by all, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, Sorry to read your news re Murray Hogg, although I did not know him I have known of the company and their garage at Seaton Burn and encountered their wagons frequently when running over to the North East from ■■■■■■■ over the past 60 years.
Leyland 600.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Sad news, Murray Hogg of Murray Hogg Transport Ltd has passed away at the age of 84. He was a great bloke to know just like the rest of the Hoggs . RIP Murray he will be sadley missed by all, Regards Larry.

Sad news Larry, regards Kev.

animal:

Lawrence Dunbar:

doug wheeler:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bobby Meggs works at Fresh Freight runs out of the Washington depot on fridge work they also have a depot in the Fruit market at team valley

Hi Lawrence, sorry i just saw your reply after many months…lol, coincidently I became friends with Dickie Ramsay yesterday on facebook, knew him back in 1981 when i first worked for Ronnie, good to hear Bob Meggs is still going strong. I just started a group on facebook callled J R Henderson Transport, it would be great if you would join, I’d like to see how many old work mates we can hear from, it’s brand new so not much on yet, do you have any photos please, come to our page and say hello, best regards, Doug.

kevmac47:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Sad news Larry, regards Kev.

Great guys at Murray Hogg, they used to help me out (and probably a lot of other people in the same predicament) when I presented vehicles to the Sandy Lane testing station and needed a part, Colin Hogg I remember well, top bloke. RIP Murray.

This Walter Gallon was my dad his father was known as old Walter and he ran the farm

tyneside:

kevmac47:

tyneside:
Hi Edward

Back in the sixties we had a Walter Gallon & Ken ( Kenny) Parks driving cattle wagons for us, both youngish lads at the time and both from Bill Quay.
I know they had farming experience, could the young Walter I knew have been related to the Gallon you mention ■■?

Tyneside.

I knew Walter Gallon from Bill Quay when he worked for you Tyneside, I first met him after he came out of the army about 1964/5, (Paras if I recall correctly) I think he later went to work for
Walter List. I may be wrong but I think he passed away at quite an young age.

thanks Kev, yes Walter had been in the army. Not sure about the Paras but he used to tell a tale or two about being based at the Blackfell camp and his dealings with some of the Washington lads.
Tyneside

These were taken at Adams & Gibbons on the Felling Bypass. I think it was the official opening of the dealership but I stand to be corrected on that one.

Tyneside

Approaching the Old Redheugh Bridge from the Newcastle side in what looks like a Land Rover.

Railway line above, to the right and just behind the vehicle was the entrance to the rail sidings and coal yard, roughly where The Arena is now.

Ahead and to the right the access road to Associated Lead ( I think) and to the left (again I think) is Pottery Lane which came out on Forth Banks.

Tyneside

lorries were aloud to use the bridge but only if empty there was two guys in the hut on the left just before you hit the bridge who checked your lorry before you crossed over

has anyone heard about Duncan Adams, i heard that they had gone bust yesterday morning

keith8357:
has anyone heard about Duncan Adams, i heard that they had gone bust yesterday morning

Nothing reported if you Google for it. However, there were some changes in the company structure notified to Companies House yesterday (details at DUNCAN ADAMS LIMITED filing history - Find and update company information - GOV.UK).

Mrs. Catherine Webber Adams has stood down as Company Secretary, Director and Person with Significant Control. She now holds no shares in the business. The new Person with Significant Control (controls between 50% and 75% of the shares) is Mr. Eric McDonald Adams.

Nothing to indicate anything untoward with the business. Probably just the retirement of Mrs. Adams (listed at Companies House as born in September 1933).

Postal:

keith8357:

Nothing reported if you Google for it. However, there were some changes in the company structure notified to Companies House yesterday (details at DUNCAN ADAMS LIMITED filing history - Find and update company information - GOV.UK).

Mrs. Catherine Webber Adams has stood down as Company Secretary, Director and Person with Significant Control. She now holds no shares in the business. The new Person with Significant Control (controls between 50% and 75% of the shares) is Mr. Eric McDonald Adams.

Nothing to indicate anything untoward with the business. Probably just the retirement of Mrs. Adams (listed at Companies House as born in September 1933).

They’ve gone into administration apparently