Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Hiya,
Just been told that Simpson Bros of Birtley have gone into liquidation.
thanks harry, long retired.

tyneside:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Eddie ( Ted ) Herdman worked for us for a number of years in the sixties, mostly on livestock. He left to,start as an O/D with a Dodge tipper on open cast. He eventually ended with three tippers, one driven by his son Edwin or Edward. All on quarry work. He had a yard at Swalwell near to the Metro Shopping Centre. I think they packed in a few years ago

Tyneside

Thats right Tyneside, Their yard was on Waggs Lane Swalwell, They had bays for sand & gravel for small orders etc, Nice to see you on here again, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

tyneside:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Eddie ( Ted ) Herdman worked for us for a number of years in the sixties, mostly on livestock. He left to,start as an O/D with a Dodge tipper on open cast. He eventually ended with three tippers, one driven by his son Edwin or Edward. All on quarry work. He had a yard at Swalwell near to the Metro Shopping Centre. I think they packed in a few years ago

Tyneside

Thats right Tyneside, Their yard was on Waggs Lane Swalwell, They had bays for sand & gravel for small orders etc, Nice to see you on here again, Regards Larry.

Cheers Larry, hope you are well. I keep dropping into TNUK regularly just hasn’t been much to comment on recently, as the old fella used to say “if you’ve got nowt sensible to say keep your gob shut”
I see from some of your posts yourself and one or two others still enjoy a dram or two. I have just finished a bottle of 10 year old Glengoyne and was thinking of replacing it with a Balvenie. Was in Sainsburys the other day and the only one I could find was £73.00 !! Left that one on the shelf !!

Tyneside

Seeing that old Bedford took me back a bit, mind. Thanks for posting it Mr Dunbar.

I seem to remember a company in the North East running tippers called the Golightly Group. I got a lift in one of their Atki Borderers on a 1972 “L” plate and the driver was chuffed to bits with it as it had the 240 Gardner in it. What happened to them,anybody know,they were in a blueish livery IIRC.

Chris Webb:
I seem to remember a company in the North East running tippers called the Golightly Group. I got a lift in one of their Atki Borderers on a 1972 “L” plate and the driver was chuffed to bits with it as it had the 240 Gardner in it. What happened to them,anybody know,they were in a blueish livery IIRC.

Hi Chris, They were a large company in their day, But I never see them now perhaps they are no longer trading, Regards Larry.

Chris Webb:

Golightly were based at Coxhoe and were quite a large concern. As well as a large fleet of tippers they had other business interests. The director who had most to do with the transport was called Lionel Cogle. Not sure, but I think some of their other businesses were general engineering and compressors and IIRC they were also involved in Randolph Coachworks where the main activity was building tipper bodies. I think they are still trading but certainly not in transport.
Last time I was past the yard was still there but was occupied by one of the large waste collection / disposal companies.

Tyneside

tyneside:

Chris Webb:

Golightly were based at Coxhoe and were quite a large concern. As well as a large fleet of tippers they had other business interests. The director who had most to do with the transport was called Lionel Cogle. Not sure, but I think some of their other businesses were general engineering and compressors and IIRC they were also involved in Randolph Coachworks where the main activity was building tipper bodies. I think they are still trading but certainly not in transport.
Last time I was past the yard was still there but was occupied by one of the large waste collection / disposal companies.

Tyneside

Thanks for that Tyneside.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Looks like a Sisterson’s of Ridsdale in a previous life.

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Not yet but few weeks ago there was a few problems but they got that sorted

animal:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Not yet but few weeks ago there was a few problems but they got that sorted

Hiya,
Ang I got the info from a lady who’s husband was a long term 11 years
driver who was finished last week because of ceasing trading he did
get fixed up with another company the next day can’t recall his new
outfit a name I’ve never heard before.

antwright:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Looks like a Sisterson’s of Ridsdale in a previous life.

Thats correct, Neil ran it for a few years then G.Lowdon Ltd from Seaton Burn had it, It ended its days working at a Grain store just on internal duties, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

This was also ex Sistersons, Regards Larry.

Not my photo, Regards Larry.