Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

servo88:

Thats a cracking photo of Cookies Scammell, Thanks for posting it “servo88”, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

servo88:

Thats a cracking photo of Cookies Scammell, Thanks for posting it “servo88”, Regards Larry.

I just love the 40 by 8 boolers, They were very popular in those good old days.Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

servo88:

I just love the 40 by 8 boolers, They were very popular in those good old days.Regards Larry.

Aye Larry the 40 X 8’s were of their time but once the new Motorways were steadily being built they couldn’t stand the consistent speed and many failed, I recall when I started at Bradys the Octopus was shod on 900x 20 Dunlop RB 6 radials and the trailer on cross ply 1000x 20’s I can’t recall a trailer tyre blowing but when the RB 6’s were well worn they would blow one after another until we had a new set of skins for another year ! But I digress, you used to see rubber all over the M/ways and it was usually a 40x8 that had given up the fight eh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

servo88:

Aye Larry the 40 X 8’s were of their time but once the new Motorways were steadily being built they couldn’t stand the consistent speed and many failed, I recall when I started at Bradys the Octopus was shod on 900x 20 Dunlop RB 6 radials and the trailer on cross ply 1000x 20’s I can’t recall a trailer tyre blowing but when the RB 6’s were well worn they would blow one after another until we had a new set of skins for another year ! But I digress, you used to see rubber all over the M/ways and it was usually a 40x8 that had given up the fight eh! Cheers Dennis.

Well Dennis, Smiles for Miles Ran 40X8s on some of their 8 wheeler Foden tippers in the 50s, But they went on to run 900X24s IIRC Replaced the old 40 by 8s, Of the old motors fitted with these tyres were marginaly faster than the ones fitted with tho 900 by 20s, Think about it it in the 50/60s era 2 MPH Faster was a bonus in my book , Of course Im just an old retired haulage man, Mind you Im just having a Monkey Shoulder Blended Single Malt In a large measure :smiley: , As I have had a hard day at the office, IE Hoovering etc, Mind you my Daughter is on holiday at present :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , So Im sure I will cope until she returns, Hopefully before I run out of Single Malts, Regards Larry.

Well Larry would that be a “large” double or a “glug, glug, glug” measure ? I much prefer the “glug” measure system as you get a wee bit more ! :wink: Oh! and are you using one of those K9 cleaners but mind you will need a “ticket” to use one ! So that’s why I can’t use ours H & S and all that bollox ! :smiley: Cheers Dennis.

Larry you will be well placed for a job as a taster, at Fergies new distillery to be built at Redpaths old depot in Wooler. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

kevmac47:
Larry you will be well placed for a job as a taster, at Fergies new distillery to be built at Redpaths old depot in Wooler. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Hiya,
Er’ Kev would there be a vacancy for a relief taster should Larry need a day off ?.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

kevmac47:

Hiya,
Er’ Kev would there be a vacancy for a relief taster should Larry need a day off ?.

Well now Harry, if I can get myself in as recruiter I can recommend whisky connoisseurs of my acquaintance, We can talk about my fee later :wink: :wink: only one small problem though, the product won’t mature until 2028 :slight_smile: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: Regards Kev.

kevmac47:

Well Kev, I would be delighted, You never know I might still be about in 10 years time :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

kevmac47:

harry_gill:

kevmac47:

Hiya,

Well now Harry, if I can get myself in as recruiter I can recommend whisky connoisseurs of my acquaintance, We can talk about my fee later :wink: :wink: only one small problem though, the product won’t mature until 2028 :slight_smile: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: Regards Kev.

Hiya
That’s fine Kev, I’ll only be 92 and the Gardner powered bathchair should
still be able to make Wooler, only one problem will I still be legal for my
return home, what the Hell who’ll want to return home.Fee in the post :laughing:

harry_gill:

kevmac47:

harry_gill:

kevmac47:

Hiya,

Hiya
That’s fine Kev, I’ll only be 92 and the Gardner powered bathchair should
still be able to make Wooler, only one problem will I still be legal for my
return home, what the Hell who’ll want to return home.Fee in the post :laughing:

I won’t hold my breath Harry :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Well being a Malt drinker I would like to live long enough to savour the flavour of this new Malt at Wooler, IMOO This should take of like Concord, Good luck & best wishes to the Fergusons new venture, Regards Larry.

tower crane been erected in bath lane Newcastle today this was where the back entrance to the BE-RO factory was, had to reverse the wagon & drag up villa place to load,

bumper:
tower crane been erected in bath lane Newcastle today this was where the back entrance to the BE-RO factory was, had to reverse the wagon & drag up villa place to load,

More about the crane at Giant crane soars over Newcastle city skyline - BBC News

servo88:

Class photos there “servo88” Where did you shoot them ? Regards Larry.

This 6 wheeler Foden Tipper 1949 Leicester Reg, Probabley Ex BRS When denationalisation came into force, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This 6 wheeler Foden Tipper 1949 Leicester Reg, Probabley Ex BRS When denationalisation came into force, Regards Larry.

Im hoping to have some more old photos of my late great Uncle Isaac Smiles the founder of Smiles for Miles, Of course this Foden was aquired along with a lot more wagons after he had passed away, Tommy Smiles AKA As The Bull his eldest son had control of the Company along with his brothers & sisters, They had about 50 wagons on the go at one time, Tommy Smiles had a good head on him for keeping the wagons running on local & long distance tipper work, His younger brother Fred ran the flat wagons on local & long distance work, He was AKA Raggy tash :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:, He had some very good lads working for him in those 50/60s days, Smiles allways paid good money & expences, & of course drivers were allowed to take their wagons home MT or loaded at weekends, Regards Larry. AKA Lawrence Smiles Dunbar :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hiya,
Larry, er’ Larry Smiles Dunbar as in L S D is that the money as in
Pounds, Shillings and Pence.