Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Hi Edward

Amongst all the musings we forgot to mention Harry Nichol !

Long haired John was Harry’s son and the other son Freddy used to flit all over the place. He worked for Jimmy Coates for a short while.

Could talk all week about the Gateshead coal men.

Billy Portsmouth stopped keeping pigs a long time ago, I don’t go up Eighton Banks much now so not sure what goes on at his place. His son did have an eight wheeler with a Hiab and was doing spot hire with it.

Was the Billy who was involved with John O’ Sullivan Billy Anderson ■■?

Tyneside

Anyone have dealings with or memories of Gordon Frost from Thorney Close who started up as owner driver in late 50’s, then built up into a few trucks moving lifeboats, I think then he went under the name of Viking Marine.

Lawrence Dunbar:

forster:
I remember John O’Sullivan from around 1965/66, when he was working as a painter for a builder in Byker, Harry Waller. Perhaps this was before he got into caravan transport. IIRC as Northumbrian Caravan Services (or Transport?) with a Ford ‘D’ Series. Some years later, I came across him at a yard at West Sleekburn (perhaps his operating center?) He was working on a canal boat which he owned.
Regards, Eric.

Hi Eric I remember John, Is his still about ?I havent seen him for years, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, I’ve not been up there for about 15 or so years, so don’t know if he is still about.
Regards, Eric.

Thanks Mr Tyneside. Yes that’s the boy, Billy Anderson! I last had a chat with him at the Campground waste disposal site, earlier this year. He’s seems OK, I’m pleased to say.
I can’t recall ever having dealings with Harry Nichol (was his yard at East Gateshead, more or less on the river?) but I do recall two brothers, not sure now whether they were coal man or scrap men. They lived on Emily Street, just before the bridge, and if I’m not mistaken, had the little yard on Carlisle Street which was later occupied by Billy Kelly. Might it have been Harry Mason, and his brother (who wasn’t too clever) ? Cannot remember what wagons they ran, now. (Probably some rubbish like a Carrier Bantam or similar, haha!) I’m enjoying this, although my memory hasn’t had such a battering since I took my 11+! Is John Aka still live? I saw young Freddy a wee while ago somewhere, never changed at all!

Back to O’Sullivan and West Sleekburn, yes forster, that certainly was his yard and Operating Centre. Before he took himself off to Thailand, he did tell me that he intended leaving the business in the hands of young (haha) Keith and Eddie the driver (a cousin?). The narrowboat was coming on lovely, the last time I saw it, but it ended up becoming a catalyst in his wife Margaret leaving him after over 40 years, terribly sad!!! Then, that was what seemed to lead him to the fleshpots of the Far East. I still miss him.

Talking about Eighton Banks, who remembers Martin Duffy (whose daughter was a corker!) who used to do the transport work for the bums (sorry, the County Sheriff, I mean). He persuaded me to do a bit of (mainly storage) work for them also, but they sickened me when I had to take an artic unit out of another garage in Pelaw and store it in my yard. The owner owed a few hundred quid, and the wagon sat in my yard, accumulating unnecessary storage charges, for months, whilst £800 worth of tax ran off the windscreen!
The fellah I had to deal with there was skeletal, and thought himself posh, but he was really just a snake of the lowest order! I needed a good bath after just being in his company.

I’ve just got the details of Dave Kingsley’s funeral next Wednesday. Like me, he went over to the Dark Side (PSV Operation) but had been a haulier on Wearside before that, anyone remember him from his wagon driving days?

How about Walter Gallon, the Bill Quay farmer who ran the ash out of the Hebburn Tech College on his red LWB O model Bedford tipper? Funny bloke. He had a Suffolk Tup (a sheep) which used to attack people who wandered into the field! He was the only bloke I ever knew who wore leather gaiters as a matter of course.

Another 70’s Bill Quay haulier was Billy Handy. He started off with a two pedal Leyland, with which I got him onto classroom work for Elliots of Peterborough. A bit of a bugger, he worked me out of there when he got a fancy Scania! He spent a lot of time inventing and trialling a device to turn a single drive six wheeler (a big Scammel) into a double drive, by introducing an air-operated ram which forced a drum of sorts in between the two sets of back tyres. A queer device altogether, I couldn’t imagine it doing the tyres much good.

TTFN

Hi Edward, Another Jennings drivers name Joe Doughtey, He Drove a 6 wheeler Albion HCN ■■?, or Perhaps it could have been GCN■■? The last four wheeler they got was driven by the late Bobby Brown, KCN■■?, it had the LAD Cab plus it had the Albion 6 speed G/box, It was a flying machine Getting back to their drivers, Joe Doughtey left & went on to drive for Davis Bros at Felling, Sadley he had a RTA & Broke both his legs, He recovered, But I dont know if he went back to driving.,This was a long long time ago when driving on distance work was a good job & good money could be made, If a driver got sacked in those days he just had to walk around the corner & he was back behind the wheel,I do hope that some one comes up with some photos of Jennings Transport Oakwelgate next to Garden Street Gateshead, Opposite Philips Of Gateshead with their old O Model Bedfords Artics & Flats, The good old long days, Im an old man now but I must say I did enjoy working on the Quayside for Baxters Road Services Ltd in 1956 onwards, I would if I could do it all again, Regards Larry.

Hi Edward

Back in the sixties we had a Walter Gallon & Ken ( Kenny) Parks driving cattle wagons for us, both youngish lads at the time and both from Bill Quay.
I know they had farming experience, could the young Walter I knew have been related to the Gallon you mention ■■?

Tyneside.

Lawrence, I remember Davis Brothers! Alan Smith was their fitter, and wasn’t their repair shop on the first floor, up a ramp and around a sharp corner? Was it the old solder factory which Mr Crow had/has?

Tyneside, I suppose it could be, but I don’t know, really. The Walter Gallon I knew was an old man then, late 1960’s?

I also remember (I think) an Alex Smiles, from Sunderland, another old fellah, was he Smiles for Miles, or a relative perhaps? He was in our place at Pelaw on several occasions, but I can’t remember what he was driving. (It’s a bugger sometimes, this getting older lark!)

Edward Jennings:
Lawrence, I remember Davis Brothers! Alan Smith was their fitter, and wasn’t their repair shop on the first floor, up a ramp and around a sharp corner? Was it the old solder factory which Mr Crow had/has?

Tyneside, I suppose it could be, but I don’t know, really. The Walter Gallon I knew was an old man then, late 1960’s?

I also remember (I think) an Alex Smiles, from Sunderland, another old fellah, was he Smiles for Miles, or a relative perhaps? He was in our place at Pelaw on several occasions, but I can’t remember what he was driving. (It’s a bugger sometimes, this getting older lark!)

Smiles for Miles was Tommy Smiles from Blucher, Newcastle. Lawrence Dunbar was related and drove for Tommy, no doubt he will reply in some detail. Alex Smiles, as you say, came from Sunderland and had skips and a large waste transfer station next to the Queen Alexander bridge.
Alex died a while ago and the business closed about two years ago. A large amount of waste was left in the yard and it caught fire a couple of months ago. An argument has been brewing for a while over who is responsible for disposal.

tyneside:
Hi Edward

Back in the sixties we had a Walter Gallon & Ken ( Kenny) Parks driving cattle wagons for us, both youngish lads at the time and both from Bill Quay.
I know they had farming experience, could the young Walter I knew have been related to the Gallon you mention ■■?

Tyneside.

I knew Walter Gallon from Bill Quay when he worked for you Tyneside, I first met him after he came out of the army about 1964/5, (Paras if I recall correctly) I think he later went to work for
Walter List. I may be wrong but I think he passed away at quite an young age.

kevmac47:

tyneside:
Hi Edward

Tyneside.

I knew Walter Gallon from Bill Quay when he worked for you Tyneside, I first met him after he came out of the army about 1964/5, (Paras if I recall correctly) I think he later went to work for

thanks Kev, yes Walter had been in the army. Not sure about the Paras but he used to tell a tale or two about being based at the Blackfell camp and his dealings with some of the Washington lads.
Tyneside

tyneside:

kevmac47:

tyneside:
Hi Edward

Tyneside.

thanks Kev, yes Walter had been in the army. Not sure about the Paras but he used to tell a tale or two about being based at the Blackfell camp and his dealings with some of the Washington lads.
Tyneside

I was in the TA as a 17yr old ( it was the only place I could learn to drive a lorry before I was 21)
Walter had to join the reserve after he left the Regulars. He was the only one who wore the Para wings on his sleeve, even the Battery Sergeant Major looked up to him.Regards Kev.

This is great stuff, I will have to get my old thinking cap on, When I first started for Jonnie Baxter on the Quayside as a young lad in the 50s I worked with some real great Oldies who showed me the ropes as the old saying goes, Im not as sharp as I would like to be when it comes to remembering the old Newcastle & Gateshead haulage firms , So I will have a couple of Single High Voltage Malts & get my arse into gear & go to it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , , Regards Larry.

Lawrence, wouldn’t a couple of pints of Henzel Oil be better to lubricate the senses? (Clean out the exhaust system at the same time, what?)

Edward Jennings:
Lawrence, wouldn’t a couple of pints of Henzel Oil be better to lubricate the senses? (Clean out the exhaust system at the same time, what?)

Henzel Oil thats a blast from the past, I used to use their Amber Gear in the Fodens I ran, It was rated to be the best for wormdrive diffs, It was hard work getting it poured in we used to stand it next to the old Salamander heater because it was so thick, IIRC Henzels were to become Goodall Bates & Todd, The good old days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Edward Jennings:

Henzel Oil thats a blast from the past, I used to use their Amber Gear in the Fodens I ran, It was rated to be the best for wormdrive diffs, It was hard work getting it poured in we used to stand it next to the old Salamander heater because it was so thick, IIRC Henzels were to become Goodall Bates & Todd, The good old days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Larry.

A rabbit skin would do the same job Larry ! :wink: How’s this weather suiting you ? Bloody hot over this side ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Edward Jennings:

A rabbit skin would do the same job Larry ! :wink: How’s this weather suiting you ? Bloody hot over this side ! Cheers Dennis.

Aye its the same here Dennis, I can stand the cold much better, But its certainly better than the rain, Allthough the gardens are suffering, But thats the way things go , Im keeping ok just a few aches & pains but nothing to worry about, My good Lady is keeping good a present, New medication , Hope you & your good Lady are keeping well, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Edward Jennings:

Aye its the same here Dennis, I can stand the cold much better, But its certainly better than the rain, Allthough the gardens are suffering, But thats the way things go , Im keeping ok just a few aches & pains but nothing to worry about, My good Lady is keeping good a present, New medication , Hope you & your good Lady are keeping well, Regards Larry.

Hiya Larry, glad to hear you are doing OK, what’s a few aches and pains after the life we have had in the transport industry ! Glad to hear also that your “better half” your Good Lady is doing better. Yes we are both OK, just had a nice sit out on the patio and enjoyed a night cap after a nice bit of home bred belly Pork for dinner ! Regards Dennis.

Hi Larry, I can’t say I have heard of Henzel Oil but I do remember that Foden worm drives had to be lubricated with a vegetable oil and that it was thick to pour and green but cannot remember what brand I used although it came with Foden’s recommendation. One thing for sure it soon found its way through the hub oil seals.
Cheers Leyland 600

Leyland600:
Hi Larry, I can’t say I have heard of Henzel Oil but I do remember that Foden worm drives had to be lubricated with a vegetable oil and that it was thick to pour and green but cannot remember what brand I used although it came with Foden’s recommendation. One thing for sure it soon found its way through the hub oil seals.
Cheers Leyland 600

Very true, L 600. The S 20 Foden had felt type oil seals & when they started to sweat I just removed them washed them out in paraffin & put them back, I used to do this anyway when doing a brake reline. The S 21 Had the Stemco type as you will remember, I didnt have a lot of bother so I used to replace them when doing a brake reline anyway, Of course being an OD In those days the old Foden hardley stood still when there was plenty of good rated work about, Plus no tachos in those good old days, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.