Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Lawrence Dunbar:

Frankydobo:
Nice to see this Geordie Blackett 111 over on the Paul Gee Photo thread, I was wondering if any motors from our neck of the woods would show up amongst his pics. Was this the only artic Blackett had, I saw plenty of his tippers about. Franky.

Hi Franky, IIRC They ran two Scanias, Plus they had a LAD Cabbed Dodge artic, Theres a picture of it on this thread I posted some time ago, Regards Larry.

Cheers Larry, good stuff, must have missed that Dodge the first time around. Franky.

oiltreader:
A couple from the Alan Sturge collection.
Oily

Hi oiltreader. The first photo was taken in yard at burnopfield. I can remember using this wagon as a service van one winter in 80s when all wagons fuel filters were waxing up. The second photo would be taken in yorkshire dales the wagon would be on its way to skipton for a load of lime for BSC consett. I served my apprenticeship on these volvos as well as AEC ERF DAF FODEN LEYLAND ALBION they had a very mixed fleet. They went on to become MAN dealers and ended up with a fleet of MANs.

mickd1958:

oiltreader:
A couple from the Alan Sturge collection.
Oily

Hi oiltreader. The first photo was taken in yard at burnopfield. I can remember using this wagon as a service van one winter in 80s when all wagons fuel filters were waxing up. The second photo would be taken in yorkshire dales the wagon would be on its way to skipton for a load of lime for BSC consett. I served my apprenticeship on these volvos as well as AEC ERF DAF FODEN LEYLAND ALBION they had a very mixed fleet. They went on to become MAN dealers and ended up with a fleet of MANs.

Not keeping up to date with this thread :blush: so cheers for the info mick.
Oily

A few more, not old but from the area, although B M Stafford goes back a bit, Lawrence Dunbar(hope you are well Larry) can I am sure relate to the date on that wagon :slight_smile: .

NE Richard 32821467015_e7f82ed5e2 rs _k.jpg

NE Richard 31826484494_0c51d1568f_rs k.jpg

Ne Richard 31652712362_e6ef002b58_ rs k.jpg

NE Richard 28578597826_c2f380f7cd rs _k.jpg

NE Richard 26406313079_32308d13d6_rs k.jpg

NE Richard 3475001794_5abf08b102_rs k.jpg

where is everyone,. nobody posted since November ,whats .happened .there must be something going on or topic of some thing to discuss …how about the drivers get together in December is it still on or even organized …come on lets keep this thread going must be some new blood out there with a subject relevant to northeast hauliers or drivers to talk about
in the meantime if anybody reads this ,have a merry xmas and a happy and safe new year,.
HAPPY XMAS Paul .

paul ward:
where is everyone,. nobody posted since November ,whats .happened .there must be something going on or topic of some thing to discuss …how about the drivers get together in December is it still on or even organized …come on lets keep this thread going must be some new blood out there with a subject relevant to northeast hauliers or drivers to talk about
in the meantime if anybody reads this ,have a merry xmas and a happy and safe new year,.
HAPPY XMAS Paul .

Yes Paul, the get-together is still on for Thursday 28th. No organisation necessary, just turn up with your full wallet. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev

no problem mate ,will see you there,cheers paul.will use xmas party this friday as a warmup practice so i can keep up with the big lads he he

Here are some pics I took in the summer at the rally for Seb and Olivia’s Charity.

This Cawthorn & Sinclair photo is with the compliments Of Bruce Via Jimmy Blackburn from Corbridge, Regards Larry.

few from last years coast and castle run. Looking forward to this years run April 22nd

Hi Kevin, Good to see Jimmy with his beloved Albion, I remember taking part in rallies back in 1976. Give him my regards when you see him.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Kevin, Good to see Jimmy with his beloved Albion, I remember taking part in rallies back in 1976. Give him my regards when you see him.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Will do Gerald, I’ll be going to see him as soon as I get over this man flu!! :confused: :confused: :confused: Regards Kev.

I remember Jim would always do his nut when I had to call Iain after work hours to keep him in the know when a motor had broken down, I could hear Iain in the background saying ‘Shut up man Dad, giv is the phone’, then apologise for his old man going spare. Very knowledgeable bloke where motors were concerned though especially the Albion’s. Franky.

Frankydobo:
I remember Jim would always do his nut when I had to call Iain after work hours to keep him in the know when a motor had broken down, I could hear Iain in the background saying ‘Shut up man Dad, giv is the phone’, then apologise for his old man going spare. Very knowledgeable bloke where motors were concerned though especially the Albion’s. Franky.

Albion aren’t his only only speciality Franky, he’s the acknowledged expert in the North East on Halley lorries. A marque most people haven’t heard of. Regards Kev.

I knew he was very knowledgeable about Halleys he once asked me to check my registration records for Halleys but unfortunately was unable to help.
Cheers, Leyland 600

Leyland600:
I knew he was very knowledgeable about Halleys he once asked me to check my registration records for Halleys but unfortunately was unable to help.
Cheers, Leyland 600

You’ve just given my brain cell a jolt Gerald. I recall my great Aunt Dora, one of Thomas Bewick’s Daughters, his other one was my Grandma,anyway she told me they bought a new Halley waggon in the later years before they sold the business to the N. E. Railway Co. They also still operated a horse and trap which my Aunt used to fly about with as a Girl delivering parcels to out lying areas of western Co. Durham. Cheers Dennis.

010.JPG

011.JPG

servo88:

One of ‘Cappies’ A4SS Bedford tractors makes its way through Newcastle in 1958 as people queue, patiently no doubt, for the John Farnon sales. Franky.