Old livestock hauliers shropshire

Very good photographs there , “Gardner 120” . :slight_smile:

By declaring that livestock was fully insured in transit , it gave farmers a bit of confidence.
After all , these were early days of moving livestock by road.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

Haydons started in 1929 and that photo wouldn’t be much after that I reckon and then back to 1989 again!

My great (and sadly late) friend (and 2nd cousin) Dave Haydon in front of an old soldier LMB 413G which started out new at Woodwards in Macclesfield but then served Haydons from about 1973 to 1992.

Had a Gardner 120 & silver box in my day - cab was a different shade of bottle green until its overhaul, newer style grille and Gardner 150 with which it pulled a drawbar

Not sure if it was in a ‘prang’ or just given a makeover - used to be Joe Boon’s wagon (he drove for Haydons about 200 years bless him) and Harry Worthy (another long servant) would use it Sunday mornings in 1977 / 78

hi Andrew jim here who drove for me edwards for years…fond memories of going to devon with derek brick and rhys when they drove for your dad…how are you all over in knighton there…regards jim
“andrew brick”:

kingswinford kit:

143topline:
never went by marsh and baxters but i think j w hodgetts used to do a lot of work for them.
took a few photos at devis at great bridge, rawsons from hull with an atkinson eight wheeler, thomas bros llanerchymedd anglesey with an impressive erf eight wheeler and trevor north from melton mowbrasy with a scania artic. very close to devis was barretts and baird which was the busiest abattoir, wish i had made more visits there. trucks could be seen from north east scotland, ■■■■■■■■ north east, south west .

kingswinford kit:
Hi chaps anyone got any memories of hauling into Marsh and Baxter at Brierley Hill or Devis butchers Great Bridge , I can remember seeing Crowthers Craven arms and J S Pugh in this area but was not too sure that they had delivered thier regards kk

Hi 143 Topline great bit of information really brings back memories .
I can remember Thomas bros Anglesey having a nice ERF 8 legger with an early LV cab . As for Rawsons they had an Atkinson 8 legger delivering pigs on an regular basis . I am sure quite a few Shropshire hauliers came to Devis’ s as well regards kk

Hi, yes remember Baxters very well, used to be a regular Tuesday pig delivery, also took thousands of welsh store Lambs into Barretts and Baird, easy delivery with a rigid, but a bit of a dogleg on the blindside with an artic, one of the nastiest times was being locked into Barretts new yard when it was raided by animal rights protesters one night, animal rights my arse, load of thugs looking for an excuse more like.
Also remember Baxters old place in Gloucester, think its part of the ring road these days.
regards Andrew.

jim ralph:

hi Andrew jim here who drove for me edwards for years…fond memories of going to devon with derek brick and rhys when they drove for your dad…how are you all over in knighton there…regards jim
“andrew brick”:

kingswinford kit:

143topline:
never went by marsh and baxters but i think j w hodgetts used to do a lot of work for them.
took a few photos at devis at great bridge, rawsons from hull with an atkinson eight wheeler, thomas bros llanerchymedd anglesey with an impressive erf eight wheeler and trevor north from melton mowbrasy with a scania artic. very close to devis was barretts and baird which was the busiest abattoir, wish i had made more visits there. trucks could be seen from north east scotland, ■■■■■■■■ north east, south west .

kingswinford kit:
Hi chaps anyone got any memories of hauling into Marsh and Baxter at Brierley Hill or Devis butchers Great Bridge , I can remember seeing Crowthers Craven arms and J S Pugh in this area but was not too sure that they had delivered thier regards kk

Hi 143 Topline great bit of information really brings back memories . how are you Jim long time used to see a lot when in the markets, had a mess sent to me last night that John marsh has died of Ron marsh
I can remember Thomas bros Anglesey having a nice ERF 8 legger with an early LV cab . As for Rawsons they had an Atkinson 8 legger delivering pigs on an regular basis . I am sure quite a few Shropshire hauliers came to Devis’ s as well regards kk

Hi, yes remember Baxters very well, used to be a regular Tuesday pig delivery, also took thousands of welsh store Lambs into Barretts and Baird, easy delivery with a rigid, but a bit of a dogleg on the blindside with an artic, one of the nastiest times was being locked into Barretts new yard when it was raided by animal rights protesters one night, animal rights my arse, load of thugs looking for an excuse more like.
Also remember Baxters old place in Gloucester, think its part of the ring road these days.
regards Andrew.

charliemjp:

jim ralph:

“andrew brick”:

kingswinford kit:

143topline:

kingswinford kit:

Hi 143 Topline great bit of information really brings back memories . how are you Jim long time used to see a lot when in the markets, had a mess sent to me last night that John marsh has died of Ron marsh

regards Andrew.

jim ralph how are you keeping , rember you on Edwards the first come to mind was the scania day cab and 2 axle 3 deck trailor. also 3 deck 6 wheel rigid I think a e c , Erby and dez always about.

Hi charliemjp , during your time with Parrys did you do much S Wales stock ? like for instance Brecon market . regards Keith

charliemjp:
jim ralph how are you keeping , rember you on Edwards the first come to mind was the scania day cab and 2 axle 3 deck trailor. also 3 deck 6 wheel rigid I think a e c , Erby and dez always about.

loved that old scania charlie CRJ 544L.was the reg…straight 5 speed box but the dogs bollox in them days…couldnt throw that outfit into corners 2 axle unit and trailer or youd be in trouble…Herby still going strong but Des in home in nantwich not well…i semi retired doing a little bit for jack richards northwich just 4 nights a fortnight…reckon i done my hours on the stock to last me…happy days but wouldnt want it now…did you work for parrys Charlie…nice to hear from you take care mate

yes jim did 22 years on parrys , started on thames trader at 17 and took test 21 and had all sorts from artic to lorry and trailors. I fetched a lot cattle from Ireland in to fishguard and Holyhead we had 4 low lowders for ferrys . did a lot back to robin Edwards cemas road . I was working it out Jim it was 46 years since I started m j parry happy days .

how are you Keith used go to Brecon and Ll andilo on Mondays lambs back to bowketts Hereford or tenbywells. we used to go to a abbatoir of Penarth road Cardiff on nights , usually 2 double deck er loads off barren cows.

Did you know my cousin Dennis Lewis who drove for Patrick’s of Canon Pyon Charlie. He later ran his own six wheeler Scania on livestock.
Cheers Dave.

charliemjp:
how are you Keith used go to Brecon and Ll andilo on Mondays lambs back to bowketts Hereford or tenbywells. we used to go to a abbatoir of Penarth road Cardiff on nights , usually 2 double deck er loads off barren cows.

Hi charlie , im great thanks , good to hear from you and your ramblings , used to see Parrys on the Brecon - Leominster road , so thought you would do Brecon market . Maybe you would have done Hay as well . Is there a book about Parrys about to be published ? That would be a good read , regards Keith

there was talk of a book keith, did you rem ber mick murrow he drove a timber lorry for jebez barker andused to park it in lay by glazbury. dave would rem

charliemjp:
there was talk of a book keith, did you rem ber mick murrow he drove a timber lorry for jebez barker andused to park it in lay by glazbury. dave would rem

Hi Charlie , got to say i did not know Mick , but do remember his AEC parked up at Glasbury ,just beneath the old railway line there . Isit correct that Barkers are still in business selling caravans , regards Keith .

they did go into caravans. mick moved to shrewsbury and came to parrys, then when we finished he went to joints on nights, he was a far character. I was not on it but Ron BIRCH AND DAVE ALLEN used to go to Baglan with unispeed tanks they were parrys units but in unispeed colours. they did that run every day and night drivers took them from shrewsbury to Holyhead.

charliemjp:
they did go into caravans. mick moved to shrewsbury and came to parrys, then when we finished he went to joints on nights, he was a far character. I was not on it but Ron BIRCH AND DAVE ALLEN used to go to Baglan with unispeed tanks they were parrys units but in unispeed colours. they did that run every day and night drivers took them from shrewsbury to Holyhead.

Hi charlie i did not know either of those gentleman in question , but i do remember the Baglan contract , using AEC Mandators and those tanks , regards Keith .

tastrucker:

charliemjp:
morn Dave and all, yes I came past last week and signs still up, the trucks park there over night. did you see 8 wheeler e r f on fb caddwallders of rodington shrewsbury . I just wandered if any body rembers them . used to run tippers and tanks south wales every day. had a lot scania s some in I c I colours cheers Charlie.

hello charlie how are you , yes those Cadwallerders were green and wernt they from High ercall , i would see them loading salt in Middlewich and those in ICI colours , and i think they would work with Cyril forrester , see them at monsanto , thank you Trevor

was there not a caddwallder who had grey wagons i used to see them alot at chester market

Gardner 120:
Leek (I think) late 80s

i think thats chelford at the fat stock/stores sheds they were facing the railway,the cull cows were in the shed in the far right
/

Hi cozypowell ,
There was a cattle-dealing family called T.C. Cadwaladr & Sons, from Two Mile House , Wrexham Road , Chester.
They had grey E.R.Fs. The cabs had a red painted horizontal band , and the chassis were painted red . They bought dairy cows in many northern auctions , - Kendal and Bentham Marts were regular places.
Some of their later , higher-powered E.R.F.s. also pulled drawbar trailers , with matching (Williams) livestock bodies .

I think the family business has now closed . Maybe someone can add more information .

I hope this is of help to you .

Cheers , cattle wagon man.