Old livestock hauliers shropshire

SMA 13H - Bought new by Woodwards of Macclesfield (registered July 1970) and gave Haydons 15 years or so of good service including our furniture when we moved house in 1974! It had been given a good wash out beforehand :smiley:

Leyland photos taken in the late 80s but I’m pretty sure that is the Leyland Chieftain bought brand new in 1977 which had lovely sign writing on the cab. I rode in it for the Silver Jubilee procession through Biddulph on June 7th 1977 but an S reg started on Aug 1st 1977 didn’t it? Or was it different for Commercial Vehicles?

Hello 120 the Longmans ERF at Oswestry .

Gardner 120:
Leyland photos taken in the late 80s but I’m pretty sure that is the Leyland Chieftain bought brand new in 1977 which had lovely sign writing on the cab. I rode in it for the Silver Jubilee procession through Biddulph on June 7th 1977 but an S reg started on Aug 1st 1977 didn’t it? Or was it different for Commercial Vehicles?
[/quote great pics on here is that a crump box on the chieftan? ]

Hey Chepstow, that’s a cracker! I remember it well, used to pass it around The Potteries when we were in a wagon and we’d wave and flash headlights at each other (as you do)

They had a 6 Wheeler ERF too I think, slightly later model, M or N reg maybe.

R 975ENC - I don’t know what sort of box I’m afraid, sorry.

March 1987 and I was taking a table and chairs to my aunties in Gawsworth - called into Wharf Rd with my wagon (a Jaguar Cars works Sherpa) but it was dwarfed by an ERF :slight_smile:

That’s me with a 'tache ouch!

The smashed up ERF was JTU 513G which had a Gardner 100 5 pot - dunno what it hit but glad I wasn’t driving it! The vintage truck was a 1936 Guy (from memory)

Haydon’s garage at Wharf Rd was a big, draughty oily cathedral with a pit. Big wagons have big nuts & needed a big socket set - I remember 2 fellas jumping up and down on an extension bar to loosen off a wagon’s wheel nuts - they cracked off like howitzers!

143topline:
dennis maxim artic of alf arrowsmith at honeybourne sheep sale 1967?
anybody remember this motor?0

How coincidental - Mac Arrowsmith was only taking about the Dennis’s he used to run the other day. Will ask him about this one later and see what he has to say. Any more of the AA+S fleet you can post he would be more than happy to see
CHeers
H

Wharf Rd late 1980s

volvof10:

143topline:

How coincidental - Mac Arrowsmith was only taking about the Dennis’s he used to run the other day. Will ask him about this one later and see what he has to say. Any more of the AA+S fleet you can post he would be more than happy to see
CHeers
H

Hi all am i correct in saying that Arrowsmiths at one time had a Dodge LAD 8 wheeler conversion ?

volvof10:

143topline:

CHeers
H

Ask him if he had his camera with him at work, he might be able to post a few shots on here & keep this interesting thread on page one.

BB

Basilbrush:

volvof10:

143topline:

CHeers
H

Ask him if he had his camera with him at work, he might be able to post a few shots on here & keep this interesting thread on page one.

BB

He’s not really the camera out on the road type but there are quite a few photos of the fleet taken around the yards which the family keep as an archive - its just finding them. I did get a few earlier of some of the early DAF’s which were posted on this thread and will do my best to get hold of more.

H

Dave Reed photo’s of Alf Arrowsmith’s 3622VT and N126 VAW when we took them to the Anglesey vintage show earlier this year. The number of people who wer amazed at which one was the working truck and which one was preserved!!!

No_33_3622_VT_1963_Dodge_D308.jpg

I see the Dodge on the A5 every week, still earning a living !

Trev_H:
I see the Dodge on the A5 every week, still earning a living !

Monday through to Thursday it never stops - possibly goes out on Friday but it does have weekends off nowadays!!!

The Dodge is a beauty and a Stoke on Trent reg I see

The picture of the Dodge is lovely, thanks for posting it. My cousins husband and his father ran two Dodges with Drews bodies on them on livestock haulage back in the 60s, the last one they had new was 1965. They were based in Glocestershire & Walter Bye & Son was their name, I only wish I had photos of them.

BB

volvof10:

Basilbrush:

volvof10:

143topline:

CHeers
H

BB

He’s not really the camera out on the road type

but there are quite a few photos of the fleet taken around the yards which the family keep as an archive - its just finding them. I did get a few earlier of some of the early DAF’s which were posted on this thread and will do my best to get hold of more.

H

That’s the trouble with a lot of us isn’t it, I’ve started carrying mine nowadays but so many good photos have been missed over the years. I guess we all thought it was going to last forever & just kept on working. There’s a lot of cattle haulage history gone around here & no one seems to have any photos of them which is a shame.

BB

Yes I agree - the photos I wish I’d taken but oh well, let’s enjoy the ones we’ve got eh :wink: like this one near the end of Haydon’s livestock days - some cattle trucks, some general haulage and a couple of Hollinshead coaches …

Gardner 120:
Yes I agree - the photos I wish I’d taken but oh well, let’s enjoy the ones we’ve got eh :wink: like this one near the end of Haydon’s livestock days - some cattle trucks, some general haulage and a couple of Hollinshead coaches …

I remember Wharf road from my time on the buses in Stoke - we used to get regular complaints from one of the residents in the houses just to the right of this shot that the service buses were stopping outside his house for up to 30 seconds with their engines running!!! No mention made of the fact that he had a haulage company and coach company in his back yard!!! :unamused: :unamused: