Old livestock hauliers shropshire

BRICK BROS F88 AT CRAVEN ARMS
IS THE F12 GERALD BRITTONS?

andrew
BEST I COULD COME UP WITH OF THE F86
this was at ludlow in the very busy days up , probably did not take the f86 was because it was a no namer . i could kick myself now

Hi 143topline,brilliant photos,last few years of GFO792L, ashamed to say that by this time she had been recabed from a tractor unit that I wrote of on the Sugar Loaf, I hand painted the cab & used to give it a wipe over with oil to try to get it looking half tidy, the original cab had the much smaller metal grill,smaller volvo letters and I think a slightly different bumper. Very nice shot of Brittons Volvo, last worked alongside Gerald at H P Bulmer a few years ago. If you could e.mail me with the long shot of the 88 it would be great.
best regards Andrew.

very grainy photo of the little M reg F86 that im ashamed to say that I rolled at the bottom of the sugar loaf,but you know the saying “there are two types of drivers ,those who have had a bit accident & those yet to have one”,
The cab was later put onto GFO792L.

BKV741T. Our last F86, T reg ,ex Toleman transporter,240 bhp and pulled like a little train,would go as fast uphill as down.

just a quick one before I get off to get some sleep,early morning 2morrow.
A couple of years ago Countrywide sent us ADR drivers to a company in Evesham for “saftey and economy” training !. This was tought by a retired copper,(nothing against retired coppers,in my book all coppers should be retired.) Anyway he took my college, Gary Fergison, yes the Gary Fergi who won lorry driver of the year award twice and is a carefull and steady experianced driver,and myself out on a unloaded Iveco box van. Well Gary went first and the instructer henpecked him so much about block changing and using his gears that he made him make loads of mistakes,which normaly Gary would never make. I went next, having listened to him picking on Gary I drove around like a zombie, cruising uphill and downhill in top, and just driving unnormally and the instructer never said a word !.. After the run had finished and I asked the instructer what he thought ,he then complemented me on my driving and reckoned that I held the cup for using the least fuel used and doing the least gearchanges. but he was surprised as hell when I told him that he was bloody dangerous,when starting off with a heavy load start in the proper gear,not a higher one and slipping the clutch, how long would the lorry stick that ? and when you go down a bank you should use your gears,one higher than you would need to go up was the golden rule., the way he was training to go down any hill in top, thus saving fuel.yes you can go downhill like this,but you probably wont reach the bottom in one piece.!,
This muppett,who by the way has never even driven a loaded lorry, teaching any young driver to drive this way is stupid and dangerous.
Anyway he had the last laugh, my boss rang me up after he had had the results and asked if I had taken my sheepdog with me…
the instructer had assessed my driving with "Livestock experience clearly evident ". I ask you!!!.

143topline:

143topline / Andrew,

Lovley photo!! Given the registration (BFJ960T) & the roof spoiler I have a strong suspicion that the F12 was originally one of A.E. Stuarts from Exeter, does that sound possible? What colours would she have been painted? If I am right my Uncle, Martin Stone drove it from new.

The registration sticks in mind because my father, R.G.S Stone from Fenny Bridges (on the old A30 near Honiton) had a new Leyland Bison at the same time & the reg was very close to Stuarts F12.

Would you blokes have any other photos of Westcountry livestiock hauliers in your collections? Would love to see them!

Thanks, Andrew Stone

one of a e jones f89 volvos which had seen better days
took this around 1990 on a farm track down llandovery if i remember correctly

andrew you will recognise this one
struggling to remember where i took it, either at 3 coun. really think it was 3 countiesties or royal welsh

i#ll see what i can do, certainly got a few padburys . some at ludlw and some at banbury

Pebbles 74:

143topline:

143topline / Andrew,

Lovley photo!! Given the registration (BFJ960T) & the roof spoiler I have a strong suspicion that the F12 was originally one of A.E. Stuarts from Exeter, does that sound possible? What colours would she have been painted? If I am right my Uncle, Martin Stone drove it from new.

The registration sticks in mind because my father, R.G.S Stone from Fenny Bridges (on the old A30 near Honiton) had a new Leyland Bison at the same time & the reg was very close to Stuarts F12.

Would you blokes have any other photos of Westcountry livestiock hauliers in your collections? Would love to see them!

Thanks, Andrew Stone

Look forward to seeing the Padburys pictures 143 topline
Thanks in advance

sorry pebbles put the wrong reply to your question. i think you may be correct in thinking th f12 was stuarts. although pic is b/w i have a recollection that it was that beige colour that stuarts used

Pebbles 74:

143topline:

143topline / Andrew,

Thanks, Andrew Stone

143topline,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve spoken to my Uncle tonight & he is pretty sure that this F12 was the lorry he drove for Roy Stuart, he is going to look out some photos to confirm it. When I mentioned that it belonged to Gerald Britton he was even more convinced as they bought some of Stuarts gear when they packed up. He remembers Gerald Britton & several of their drivers & asked whether any of them might still be around?

This painting of Stuarts first F88 gives an idea of the original colour scheme that the F12 would have had.

(picture originally posted on this site by Removalboy)

This is a photo of the actual lorry.

(picture originally posted on this site by Bubbleman)

Looking forward to some more of these great photos!

Thanks again, Andrew Stone

Hi,very nice photos of the Stuarts old F88 240, great looking truck and handy triaxle trailer, bet she handled better than our old 3 deckers on tandems.
Just thinking ,does anybody have any shots of Williams of Worcester waggons, used to run under the handle of skyscraper 1 & skyscraper 2 ?.
also Emrys Williams ex Bulmers F88 day cab and that hughe trailer “coffin maker” that he used to pull. The old motor was parked up at the Cribbith,but I havnt been passed there for ages so not sure if its still there.Also Bill Jones (Kerry )LB81 that Bill and Keith Pinchess used to drive.
also I have a quick test, a photo of a dutch spec LB111 ( TUX 501S ) that we bought 2nd hand, but does anybody know where from (143topliner allready knows,) but does anybody else ?

Hi Andrew
A very long shot at Swains just goin by TUX :question:
Cheers Fin

andrew brick:
Hi,very nice photos of the Stuarts old F88 240, great looking truck and handy triaxle trailer, bet she handled better than our old 3 deckers on tandems.
Just thinking ,does anybody have any shots of Williams of Worcester waggons, used to run under the handle of skyscraper 1 & skyscraper 2 ?.
also I have a quick test, a photo of a dutch spec LB111 ( TUX 01S ) that we bought 2nd hand, but does anybody know where from (143topliner allready knows, but does anybody else ?

Hi Finnly300, sorry but no,getting warm though ! Glyn did buy Xcj564T from me, I had it on local,Glyn put it on Milan !!!
regards Andrew

hi pebbles , nice bit of info there. i know one of britton drivers is with atcheson topeka on tankers. cannot remember his name (gary?) but very briefly met him at warwick services one sunday morning before xmas. he moved off from the pumps where i was standing waiting to photograph an irish streamline, his truck stops and he comes over to me and asked me if i was a butcher who used to go to ludlow, which was correct and i tried to place him and he said he drove an F12 for gerald britton. he had some memory as i had not seen him for at least 20 years. pity he was blocking somebody and he had to go

Pebbles 74:
143topline,

Thanks for the reply. I’ve spoken to my Uncle tonight & he is pretty sure that this F12 was the lorry he drove for Roy Stuart, he is going to drivers look out some photos to confirm it. When I mentioned that it belonged to Gerald Britton he was even more convinced as they bought some of Stuarts gear when they packed up. He remembers Gerald Britton & several of their drivers & asked whether any of them might still be around?

This painting of Stuarts first F88 gives an idea of the original colour scheme that the F12 would have had.

(picture originally posted on this site by Removalboy)

This is a photo of the actual lorry.

Looking forward to some more of these great photos!

Thanks again, Andrew Stone

andrew did you mean harold williams from gloucester with the bulldog macks?

andrew brick:
also Emrys Williams ex Bulmers F88 day cab and that hughe trailer “coffin maker” that he used to pull. The old motor was parked up at the Cribbith,but I havnt been passed there for ages so not sure if its still there.Also Bill Jones (Kerry LB8! that Bill and Keith Pinchess used to drive.
also I have a quick test, a photo of a dutch spec LB111 ( TUX 501S ) that we bought 2nd hand, but does anybody know where from (143topliner allready knows,) but does anybody else ?

Hi 143toplie , yes recon your right, used to be a mustard yellow colour.,the old brain sometimes gets befudled.
regards Andrew.

Andrew / 143topline,

Uncle Martin was talking about those Macks from Gloucster when I spoke to him earlier - small world!! Would be great to see some shots of those!

The stepframe box behind the F88 was built by Drews of Barnstaple. The double decker that went behind the F12 was built by Houghtons?

Here is another one of Stuarts. They used to have a similar sized box on a 6-wheeler but it was prone to tipping over (on at least 2 occasions) the 8-wheeler looks bad enough to me!!!

All the best! Andrew Stone