Old FLINTSHIRE firms

Hi Chaps, Great topic, and not too far away from me in Ellesmere Port :smiley:

I’ve a pic of one name that’s not been mentioned yet:

Unfortunately, Geraint died about 5 weeks ago. :frowning:

I was Geraint’s dangerous goods safety advisor (DGSA) for the last 3 years, so I got to know the firm quite well.
I took the above pic whilst I was at the Scania garage at Alltami doing a DGSA audit on Geraint’s fleet.

This was also parked in the yard at the time:
Prolly not counted as a Flintshire haulier though… :smiley:

Other Flintshire firms that I’ve driven for, in no particular order:

Mc Carthy’s, Wrexham (pop bottle contract on a wag-and-drag)
Morganfreight, Mostyn (Hotpoint contract)
British Gas, Wrexham Maelor (own account, trunking propane from Stanlow to various BG depots)
Kingspan
Marshall’s, Sandycroft (which became Grampian Country Foods) I was on the live chicken collection job
Hutchinson’s, Drury (Jeyes contract) [He also had quite a few buses.]
Not sure whether you’d count Iceland on Deeside Ind Est, but I drove their red diesel fridge refuelling tanker.
Gloystarne, Deeside Ind Est (cereals contract, Tescos, ASDA) [but they were really from Hirwaun]

I’m also DGSA to Williams Brothers Haulage, Cynwyd (Huw Williams)

yella:
he runs out of joe simons yard, between the new gym and corbetts, joe has been there for years, he used to live in a caravan but now hes built a nice house on the front.

That is waddy’s old yard, think the cafe is a glazing firm now…

Thanks for your interesting contributions to this thread guys. Keep 'em coming in.

Horrible job the live chicken run dave. Some interesting firms around the 'Port too - OB Transport (Offley Bros) is one that springs to mind, maybe we should start another thread covering the 'Port and Chester firms?

Thanks for the info on Waddy’s GAV, I can well remember the old yard in the '60’s, there used to be an old half-cab Foden coach parked behind the garage, I have a piccy of it somewhere, will look it out. I think Waddy had it for the 5 pot Gardner. I remember the old Britannia Cafe too it was a popular watering hole in the old days.

Thanks again guys. RR

240 Gardner:

Hi 240 Gardner,
I have a print of this Atki SPD376M taken travelling along the A5 , in the print taken from an original painting by Alan Spillett, the artic is only a four wheeler unit, as most of then were then, its pulling a forty foot tandem axle trailer. Just wondered when it was converted to a six wheel unit,as Alan usually does his paintings on commision for in this case the owners.
Cheers Dave.

rapidgem:
Horrible job the live chicken run dave. Some interesting firms around the 'Port too - OB Transport (Offley Bros) is one that springs to mind, maybe we should start another thread covering the 'Port and Chester firms?

Hi rapidgem, TBH, I didn’t think the live chicken job was so bad really, but it isn’t everybody’s idea of fun. :wink:

OB’s, now there’s a name that takes me right back to my childhood, cos I walked right past the OB yard and garage to get to primary school…
Their old yard is now a Morrison’s supermarket. :open_mouth:

… and Mealor’s skips was just up the road from OB Transport, but let’s not hijack a nice topic… :wink:

I couldn’t help an ‘Ellesmere Port hauliers’ topic with any pics though, cos I have none. :frowning:

CANTON TRANSPORT / NUTTALS OF HEYWOOD WAS MENTIONED THESE WERE TWO OF THERE OLD TRUCKS MY DAD BOUGHT THEM AND WE THEN RUN THEM OUT OF LIVERPOOL THE GUY REG ENDED IN MSX CANT RECALLTHE FULL REG:oops: :blush:

THE RED ATKI IN THE CORNER WAS THE OTHER ONE

the other two,are they ex bassett wagons ?

no these were painted our colours the scammell reg was ONE and the erf was JWW i,ll ask my dad if he can remember who,s they were

Dave the Renegade:
Hi 240 Gardner,
I have a print of this Atki SPD376M taken travelling along the A5 , in the print taken from an original painting by Alan Spillett, the artic is only a four wheeler unit, as most of then were then, its pulling a forty foot tandem axle trailer. Just wondered when it was converted to a six wheel unit,as Alan usually does his paintings on commision for in this case the owners.
Cheers Dave.

Dave, the conversion would have been done in about 1991/2, I think. I’m fairly sure I took that pic at the 1994 Atkinson Rally in Leyland, so it was certainly done by then.

The 3rd axle was trailing, and didn’t lift at all - I vaguely remember Steve Jones mentioning that he sometimes had traction problems with it. That apart it, it had a 250 ■■■■■■■ and a Fuller, so it was reasonably on top of the job at 38 tonnes.

John Summer’s & Sons - Shotton Steel (Sealand District Transport):- a short (8min) archive film showing some of the road transport at JS&S is on the BBC NE Wales web site :- bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/si … port.shtml.

Anything further on JS&S road transport and any of the old Flintshire firms is always welcome.

Cheers RR.

Nice bit of nostalgia watching that film, good to see tho se old eight leggers in action.

Glad u like it Dave, funny to see the 2 Summer’s drivers walking like Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton :slight_smile:

Cheers - RR

A mate has just given me this pic of this John Summers & Sons, Shotton Steelworks Guy Big J :-

I’m always on the lookout for pics and details of Shotton Steel transport and any photos or info on the Old Flintshire firms any help would be appreciated.
Cheers - Rob

I took this pic of this FL10 of Shone’s of Buckley in Thomas Hardie’s Volvo Service Centre on Deeside Industrial Park on a late winter’s afternoon in 1998 and thus the low lighting conditions.

Credit is due to Neil Jones, for his Photoshop skills in removing a somewhat obtrusive lampost from the background, Cheers Mate, I owe u one :smiley:

It’s the only Shone’s pic I ever took and would I be grateful for any info or photos of this much missed Flintshire company.

Cheers - Rob.

rapidgem:
A mate has just given me this pic of this John Summers & Sons, Shotton Steelworks Guy Big J :-

I’m always on the lookout for pics and details of Shotton Steel transport and any photos or info on the Old Flintshire firms any help would be appreciated.
Cheers - Rob

Nice pic of that Big J Rapidgem, always looked a nice moter in their day,same moter panels cab as the Seddon’s, but the Guy always seemed a more impressive vehicle.
Cheers Dave.

Glad u like the pic Dave. Summer’s wagons always seemd to out in force on the Prees Heath <> Weston-U-Lizard stretch of the A41, you’d never fail to meet one along there in the old days. :slight_smile:

I’m always on the lookout for info and pics on the fleet of John Summer’s which also carried ‘Sealand District Transport’ fleet names and later British Steel Corp, I well remember their Guy Big J’s in the British Steel blue livery. I wonder if any have survived the years?

Here’s an old familiar name from the area:- Howard Flood of Buckley, a friend passed this cutting to me a few years ago:-

Hi RR

How about
[
J shone & Sons Buckley…I used to work for them! (1982 - 1987)
Hutchinson Transport Buckley…who remembers Taffy,(Roy Buckler)
Williams Bros, Altami
Drurey transport
WJ Foulkes
Mannor Transport LLay
Fred Cottam, Scania 110
Clive Shone
Peter Willougb
Happy days, I have quite a few pics from late 70, to mid 80s, if only I could work out how to attach them!!!

rapidgem:
I took this pic of this FL10 of Shone’s of Buckley in Thomas Hardie’s Volvo Service Centre on Deeside Industrial Park on a late winter’s afternoon in 1998 and thus the low lighting conditions.

Credit is due to Neil Jones, for his Photoshop skills in removing a somewhat obtrusive lampost from the background, Cheers Mate, I owe u one :smiley:

It’s the only Shone’s pic I ever took and would I be grateful for any info or photos of this much missed Flintshire company.

Cheers - Rob.

Cheers
GB

rapidgem:
Thanks for your interesting contributions to this thread guys. Keep 'em coming in.

Thanks for the info on Waddy’s GAV, I can well remember the old yard in the '60’s, there used to be an old half-cab Foden coach parked behind the garage, I have a piccy of it somewhere, will look it out. I think Waddy had it for the 5 pot Gardner. I remember the old Britannia Cafe too it was a popular watering hole in the old days.

Thanks again guys. RR

There are some shots of Waddys haulage on lorrypic .com or similar, even HDM773K an ex J Shone and Sons F86 which they bought

GB

Hi Lads
A couple of golden oldies here. I took these in 1980 passing through Queens ferry (Near Hollis Coaches on old A494 before it became a bypass) Now all you see is the Amantola Indian Restaurant with Elephants on the wall ) for you lads still passing I would rather see the lorry’s myself !! Dont know what happened to them they just dissapeared, but i’d have liked the number plates from either or both of them. Where are they now lads does anyone know ■■?

John
see ya later !!