Old Firms in Oxford Area

H & M Transport at Cowley were probably the largest operator in the Oxford area next to BRS.

I never worked for John Werrell or his son John but used to sell to them. I found both to be absolute gentlemen. The old man was a staunch Tory and would go on and on about Mrs. Thatcher. There yard was on the Abingdon road from ■■■■■■■

Ah yes, I couldn’t remember whether they were up Boars Hill or ■■■■■■ Hill. Can you throw any light on the “WEKANKARRIT” thing? I’m thinking maybe they ran as two different set ups.

What was the name of the firm from Grendon Underwood that had Dark Red, lorries used to do alot of magazines , AEC’s I think, roping and sheeting. may have had some F88’s too.

HI ALL I’M LOOKING FOR PHOTO’S AND INFO OF THE PIG IMPROVEMENT CO ABINGDON I HAVE ONE OF THERE TRANSCON’S I’M RESTORING, CAN YOU HELP PLEASE.

Dieseldog, that brought back some memories seeing the dines’s big j having worked for Ginger Harvey and Ray Court back in the early 70’s as did anyone with an hgv around bicester at the time, had a nearly new Big J with a 180 Gardner (would’nt pull a coloured gentleman off the wife) and as far as werrels and wekancarryit are concerned they are the same company and still going and still running old erf’s, john won’t buy a steel cabbed erf so I do’nt know what he’ll do when the supply runs out.

Chazzer, Ray Court, theres a name from the past, did you know Alan and Kevin Tagg, from Banbury? check out the 70’s/80’s thread I’ve put some more on there.

Dieseldog I did know Kev and Alan Tagg, also John Beasley, Dave Ryall, John Plester who is now married to my brother in law’s mother( thats another marriage Plester broke up ), Les (can’t think of his second name) who bought his own truck, a Man, and went off to the middle east. If you can think off any more names to jog the old memory I’d be gratefull. Also about the lorries were’nt from Grendon Underwood I used to live there but the firm your thinking about was Connel and Griffin from Charndon who ran all volvo’s F88s and F86s.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:53 pm Post subject: Old Firms in Oxford Area.

Ah yes, I couldn’t remember whether they were up Boars Hill or ■■■■■■ Hill. Can you throw any light on the “WEKANKARRIT” thing? I’m thinking maybe they ran as two different set ups.

Hi Big G. Yes, if you went up ■■■■■■ Hill on the A420 and turned left by ■■■■■■ Hill Garage toward Abingdon, John Werrell was on the right hand side. If my memory serves me right the address was Boars Hill.

I believe that it was only the one operation. “WEKANKARRYIT” was only the slogan across the front of each of his trucks. Were they not mainly ERFs?

Chazzer… yes Connel & Griffin that was it, I did get the start there but decided to stay put in the end, John Plester was seeing the girl who worked on traffic in the Cowley plant when I was there, John Beasley I remember, Fat Eddie, he was from out Banbury way, Barry Washburn or Washbourn, he had and accident in that Big J the one off motor show one with the 250 ■■■■■■■ in it.
Dave Hughes, Dave Ledbetter, Archie Andrews, Brian Oates. who was the guy that worked in the office had that rare Keeble car. and not forgetting Big Lou from the pub.

Freddie, if you let me know what information you are looking for, I will speak with PIC’s parent company, Genus ABB as my company supplies all their vehicles. In addition in a previous role, I was responsible for some of their MAN roadtrains on western and Eastern European operations

dieseldog, the guy who worked in the office at merton I’m sure was called Brian, Barry Washbourne I saw on the D/C ferry only last week he lives in ashford and runs back and forth to belgium, Dave Ledbetter I did some work with at Renault F1 in 2005 on the running showcar, Dave (yosser) Hughes is still a house husband as far as I know.

Chazzer… yes Brian was his name, nice to know D Ledbetter and D Hughes are still about, I was real good friend with the Tagg Brothers especialy Kevin but have lost his number now, Dines went to the wall not long after I left but I don’t know the reason, had a couple painted Pink for a while I think.

Suprised no old Tuckwell drivers on here, bigish firm in the '60s but had a bit of a reputation! Well tippers! A lot of blokes had “Hell Drivers” chalked on the tailboard but not having seen the film I didn’t know what it was all about. :confused: They ran nearly all A series Bedford’s then and seemed to have a new one in the showroom at the agents down Botley road constantly. The wagons took a bit of a beating so their own workshop was kept busy with repairs and staightening. I remember one chap known as “Skinny Bore or Ball” I think, seemed to have more than his share of dings and scrapes so the boss had him in, had a talk with him and said they were giving him a brand new motor as they thought if he had something to take pride in he would keep out of trouble. :astonished: Early one morning in the first week, he pulled out of the yard, turned onto the Cowley road, ahead of him was a milk float, the only other vehicle on the road. He started to overtake then in his headlights he saw “milkie’s” hand stuck out of the float cab, then a row of milk crates! You can guess the rest!! Smack in the middle of the bonnet. :laughing:

I remember Crendon Concrete having that place in Goole and the all wheel drive bonneted army Bedfords that they ran.

Hi, does anyone remember Priors of Oxford

M G b:
Hi, does anyone remember Priors of Oxford

The name rings a distant bell but no more than that! I think I may remember seeing their motors on the road after I had moved away. Have you any more info? :confused:

No not much I do remember them being based in Middle Barton. I used to meet some of them in the Qs in Coal Mines

Didnt Priors have those blue motors, used to pull bulkers if i remember correctly ■■

Blue DAF 2800, mostley bulkers…

BigG-unit asked me to put this pic on here

Cheers Marc.