Old Firms in Oxford Area

:smiley:

altitude:

M G b:
I remember Pathfields Transport from Alvescot my dad worked there.

I worked there for a while on a 4 wheeler then a 6.

My dad and uncle worked there at one time early 70s I think

That’s about the same time as I was there, we were on a so called owner driver thing then.

That sound’s about it I will check with Dad as I was only 6 or 7 at the time. I remember all the ash down the Old Station and I remember my Dad having a 6 wheeler Dodge Blue I think.

Yes that’s it mate blue Dodges, they ran a couple of scammell artics as well, looks like there’s a fair chance I may know your Dad.

M G b
Have sent you a PM.

Big G… one of Dines ex driver went on for Smiths around 78/79 Tony his name was, but i can’t recall his surname.

Hi dieseldog :
He might well have known this chap that parked up outside his house as he was on there all through the '60s and '70s and probably the '80s as well. I always looked for it when running up and down, it was on a bit of old road at the side of a new bit of straightened road. :slight_smile:

Hi Big G Unit, I remember the tipper parked up outside the cottage on the old banbury-oxford road between deddington and adderbury, it was driven by an old friend of mine’s uncle who if he had the same surname which was Hirons.
chazzer

Hi everyone, first time of writing. Ref John Werrell & Sons (Wekankaryit) all one firm as far as l know, the Wekan slogan just a gimic, would not be allowed now by modern so called transport management, would have to have the word LOGISTICS in there somewhere, & have to get rid of that beautifull traditional red paintwork & lettering so they could paint the cab white with 2 letters on the cab door that nobody new what they meant! Luckily they still going, got a couple of lovely ERF Olympics along with all their other ERFs, they are still piling on the coal!

Hi adr : Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like they are carrying on in a time honoured fashion. Would like to see a few photos if half a chance. :wink:

Hi Big-G, good to be here. One of those strange things that although they local firm, and l see them around all the time, & l have parked up on nights out with some of their blokes l have never taken any photos of their wagons! Very traditional firm, always gives the impression that they buy tidy older wagons & do them up smart, no fancy finance packages involved! Mate of mine did some casual for them, he said you go into most transport offices now & the desks are crammed with computers & state of the art technology, he said there was a woman sat at the desk with an old 1950s typewriter with the old ribbon merrilly punching away! Thats how some of these older firms keep going, cos the wagons are a part of the family & not just a fleet number, & the Boss knows how much it costs to run a lorry! l will have to go to their yard & see if l can take some photos, must be one of the biggest fleets of ERFs still pulling l would think.

Anyone out there remember Champs Transport from Didcot way? They ran Transcontinentals & F88s, painted Red/Green with Champs in white on the cab doors.

champs transport were last on milton park at didcot before they packed up in early eighties.
chazzer

I have no idea how to embed an image from Flickr, they don’t seem to have an IMG code selection, but there are some Prior of Oxford photos here flickr.com/photos/35455701@N03/3287927688/

Priors did have some big trailers, don’t know his full name but anyone remember Big Eddy that was on for them for years■■?

How about Curtis Transport.Their yard was next to Baynard Green roundabout (as it was then). Light blue Volvo 88,F10,etc.The family also owned the Esso on the roundabout.

Dales was another,from kings Sutton/Tyford mill.

Kevin Tagg who also worked with me at Dines of Bicester went to work for Curtis, Curtis was an ex scramble bike rider too!! from the Dave Bickers era. (spelling)

dieseldog6 : Was this the same Curtis that were down the Botley road in Oxford in the '60s? there is a photo of one of their low loaders in the driver of the year pics that you directed me to when I was looking for car body carriers some time back.

Big G…No it wasn’t, although they may have been related, I don’t know. As Longwayround said, Dave Curtis was at Baynards Green, on the roundabout, I think he had some ERF’s but at the time he also had a couple of nice F88’s they were a blueish grey with a dark blue band round them, if I remember right, always kept smart, did alot of grain.