Old Day Bolton Hauliers

Hello muchkee
I worked at parkers and snaylams but in the 70s/early 80s I do not recall your dad.A man with a lifetime on the rd.May he R.I.P…

Cheers DafDave. Your sentiments are welcome. Nothing more than I expect from the trucker community. The funeral was something special. A fleet of 8 leg mixers took up the rear of the cortege. Lights blazing all the way to the crematorium at Agecroft via a circuit of the plant. He would have loved it.

muchkee:
Cheers DafDave. Your sentiments are welcome. Nothing more than I expect from the trucker community. The funeral was something special. A fleet of 8 leg mixers took up the rear of the cortege. Lights blazing all the way to the crematorium at Agecroft via a circuit of the plant. He would have loved it.

Great to see he got a suitable send off.

Hello gingerfold, hope you are well. I came across a couple of photos today and it reminded me of when you said HKR were parking their wagons on Kershaw Ave, Lever and Dearden Street. I also found a photo of HKR from the late 40s early 50s and wonder if it brings back any memories or any stories you could add please.

Take from Lever Street looking down Kershaw Avenue towards Tong Road and Victory Road, HKR Transport to the right

Taken from the top of Lever Street at the Church Street and Market Street junction looking towards the Horse Shoe pub and entrance to Kershaw Avenue. A few wagons can be seen parked on the right. I wander if these are HKR?

By eck, it dont half make you realise why this country is flat on its backside, when you see all those truck manufacturers thats used to MAKE TRUCKS that were purchased and used by British Hauliers. My old fella was a Motor body builder he used to put bodies on new chassis cabs, a craftsman of the old school.

He served his time with a firm called Thomas Tonge, they were located on Old Hall Street, Kearsley, nr Farnworth,Bolton, Lancs, and they Built all sorts of vehicle bodies. They have long since gone, but my dad worked for himself for many years, never made any money at the game just a wage. I used to hang around the yard, and started working with him when I left school at 15. I left and moved on to other things before I was 19, but always say I was brought up in the Haulage game. Seeing some of the Hauliers in these threads brings back memories.

Dad was Bob Howarth, and traded under the name of R Howarth Motorbody Builder, Edit St Garage, Farnworth.

What I can remember is he built some fantastic bodies and vehicles, and took pride in his work. Some of his customers (which I can remember at the moment) were Frank Platt Haulage, Frank was an old man, and used to come round with his chief fitter a welsh bloke called Cliff, they ran Albion Rigids carrying plastic beads from were ever down to South Wales for processing, he had quite a few motors.

BE Moores at Trafford Park, had a contract for carrying ICI paints, we used to put new bodies(and paint) the new vehicles, all Bedford TK`s, had to have the exhaust moved under the front bumper, Fireshields on the front of the body (regulations carrying paint you see), and electrical cut off switch in the cab, and off course fire extinquishers.
They also had a company that was called Somerfield Transport, they ran Atkinson Artics, carrying all sorts of nasty stuff in tanks. (sorry run out of space !)

(okay trying a reply) The Atkis used to shake themselves to bits, and my old fella would weld up T Bars, and brace the back of the cab he had a great term for this he called it “wackering” :smiley: he would put his bits on to stop the cab Wackering !
We built new kit for Burgess brothers (who are still going), JO (Jim Obertelli) Transport at Little Lever (his first NEW motor was a Dodge flat backed rigid) Jim is still going strong the business is run by his son but he lives (so I am told ) on the Isle of Erin in Scotland.
We used to repair breadvans for Ernest Melling (sunblest bakery) at Farnworth, as one person once said to me what my old fella could do with a bent bread van was not worth doing ! They were BMC, or Leyland 550 FG Cabs, with the “threepeny bit cab” used to let the clutch out, and the cab would shake and the doors fly open ! (I kid you not)
Another firm was Smiths at Bury…this list goes on and on. All happy days from a time when life didn`t seem as complicated as it is now, and you could run a car on 10 bob a week in petrol !

Aye mate.
I lived 56yrs in bolton before ret injured to southport in 2001,in that time i worked for willy nuttalls at clifton snaylam.s of bolton[contracted to edbro,s hauling tipping rams and bodies],parkers on contract to watson,s steel of high st later lostock and ran the continent for 9yrs for kenny harvey of old hall st, happy days.
regards dave.

hello bilko my dad used to work with you at kenny harveys, his name is bill may [1 lamp]. hes not workin now as he was hurt at work a few years ago. ste edge is still there as is little legs [mark edwards] & greame goldsworthy. i to used to work for kenny doin the verna care & a bit of international & and all the other stuff. i still see ken sometimes he’s doin alright. i myself am workin for joe sharp now with the pink scanias along with barry marsden who worked with you at snaylems. hope your doin ok rgds billy may [2 lamps].

ttTell

twolamps:
hello bilko my dad used to work with you at kenny harveys, his name is bill may [1 lamp]. hes not workin now as he was hurt at work a few years ago. ste edge is still there as is little legs [mark edwards] & greame goldsworthy. i to used to work for kenny doin the verna care & a bit of international & and all the other stuff. i still see ken sometimes he’s doin alright. i myself am workin for joe sharp now with the pink scanias along with barry marsden who worked with you at snaylems. hope your doin ok rgds billy may [2 lamps].

Hey billy great to hear from you.Sorry for the delay in replying my pc has been down for 2 weeks.I know the old lads are still there as i am in regular contact with arthur morley.I also get e mails off ste and lee.Hope yer dad is doing ok [give him my best regards]he had his accident a few yrs after me.I am confined to a wheelchair since 2001and living in southpor
Tell barry when you see him im glad he,s still ok and give him my regards.Well i,ll keep in touch billy.
Best regards bilko.

hello dave hope all is ok. how is arthur? i know he retired acouple of years ago. he took me on my first trip to italy, couldn’t of asked for a better bloke to show me the ropes. not seen barry this week but will tell him you asked about him when i see him. told my dad iv been in touch on forum, i think he might av a go soon. you keep safe all the best billy. [twolamps]

yonmons:
By eck, it dont half make you realise why this country is flat on its backside, when you see all those truck manufacturers thats used to MAKE TRUCKS that were purchased and used by British Hauliers. My old fella was a Motor body builder he used to put bodies on new chassis cabs, a craftsman of the old school.

He served his time with a firm called Thomas Tonge, they were located on Old Hall Street, Kearsley, nr Farnworth,Bolton, Lancs, and they Built all sorts of vehicle bodies. They have long since gone, but my dad worked for himself for many years, never made any money at the game just a wage. I used to hang around the yard, and started working with him when I left school at 15. I left and moved on to other things before I was 19, but always say I was brought up in the Haulage game. Seeing some of the Hauliers in these threads brings back memories.

Dad was Bob Howarth, and traded under the name of R Howarth Motorbody Builder, Edit St Garage, Farnworth.

What I can remember is he built some fantastic bodies and vehicles, and took pride in his work. Some of his customers (which I can remember at the moment) were Frank Platt Haulage, Frank was an old man, and used to come round with his chief fitter a welsh bloke called Cliff, they ran Albion Rigids carrying plastic beads from were ever down to South Wales for processing, he had quite a few motors.

BE Moores at Trafford Park, had a contract for carrying ICI paints, we used to put new bodies(and paint) the new vehicles, all Bedford TK`s, had to have the exhaust moved under the front bumper, Fireshields on the front of the body (regulations carrying paint you see), and electrical cut off switch in the cab, and off course fire extinquishers.
They also had a company that was called Somerfield Transport, they ran Atkinson Artics, carrying all sorts of nasty stuff in tanks. (sorry run out of space !)

Eyup yonmons. I started out in a bodybuilders but we were on the East Coast and a lot of the work was caravan or boat related, especially as my old boss was a retired caravan haulier. We were fitting bodies to Commers, TK Bedfords and later Fiat and Mercedes.

An old guy I worked with was originally a coachbuilder who got a chassis from the manufacturer and then built the cab as well as the body. He couldn’t do with all these modern trucks like Commers with tin cabs :stuck_out_tongue:

I am still in touch by facebook with a bloke I worked with and he still reminds me of the day he filled a party balloon with acetylene and dropped it under a chassis the boss was welding. :laughing: It was such a loud bang my dad came over to see what had happened in the garage.

Great Memories

Wheel Nut:

yonmons:

Eyup yonmons. I started out in a bodybuilders but we were on the East Coast and a lot of the work was caravan or boat related, especially as my old boss was a retired caravan haulier. We were fitting bodies to Commers, TK Bedfords and later Fiat and Mercedes.
An old guy I worked with was originally a coachbuilder who got a chassis from the manufacturer and then built the cab as well as the body. He couldn’t do with all these modern trucks like Commers with tin cabs :stuck_out_tongue:
I am still in touch by facebook with a bloke I worked with and he still reminds me of the day he filled a party balloon with acetylene and dropped it under a chassis the boss was welding. :laughing: It was such a loud bang my dad came over to see what had happened in the garage.Great Memories

P.M.S.L. Malc :laughing: , they did a lot of things like that in those days, I wonder why Elf and Safety put a stop to it :laughing: .
I also did a stint as an apprentice panel beater with a great load of old blokes but I was too clever to go back for the second tin of Tiger paint :wink: .
I think that Yonmons might remember the Vauxhall agent in Cheetham Hill, Manchester called Syd Abrams who used to build the bodies onto the mainly Bedford T.K. chassis. At Vitafoam they used to call them The Abrams T.K. as opposed to the other type that they had called The Bedford Marsden. I think that Marsdens were built in the Oldham area along with The Buckstone body. Or were Marsdens built just over the border near the David Brown factory in The Last Of The Summer Wine country, maybe Chris will know :smiley: . Maybe Chris can remember the old PATCO works next to the A666 in Farnworth which was taken over by I.C.I. in the eighties.
Yes Yonmon the old tinbashers were certainly craftsmen and I bet that there are not many about now after breathing in years of that filler dust :frowning: .

Hi, i was from Bolton currently living in Warrington .My old man Norman Mulraney was a driver and as such i used to go in the wagon at every opportunity (even if i was a bit unwell and off school) He started off at Watneys brewery as a drayman this followed a spell for corona then working for Smedleys foods which was in Farnworth these were great days i remember once getting out of a thames freezer wagon only to collaspe on the floof because it was that cold in the cab i lost use of my legs! He then did a stint driving the Asphalt wagon for boydell in tippings road ,later a good run at Parkers transport he had a mate called big Kenny who also drove there he was on all sorts of general haulage and parkers did not seem to mind me going with him as we used to get the bus down on sat morning hang around the Depot and then take the wagon home for that early start Monday .On the sunday night he used to spread his maps all over the floor and plan his route and he used to show us kids the trail say to Southhampton or london of which we would meet other Parker drivers around The Elephant and Castle after parking at Aldgate on a roundabout i think.He joined the BRS in Kay street Bolton on General haulage of which i lapped up every moment this would be the 70s My uncle Neil was the Chief engineer there . He ended up at Markland Scowcroft taking tubes to the North East finally finishing there as a shunter Driver due to a Heart issue . Because i was young and into wagons the likes of Thomas Harwood was on my way to school so i used to watch the old hands shunt and park up the AEC artics in the side cobbled street next to the Depot the was Snaylem up and down tonge moor road also do you remember a firm which had a couple of purple Atkinsons in a yard near to Tom Ashtons Garage then there was Hipwood and Grundy of which i am currently a construction Manager working in Larkhill next to were both Smedleys and Hipwoods would be . I am now 53 and still as i go past Harveys yard to my site i have a peek in as i past . Anyway going to Birch services in the morning to get my fix .Happy days Mike.

Edit

givover:
Hi, i was from Bolton currently living in Warrington .My old man Norman Mulraney was a driver and as such i used to go in the wagon at every opportunity (even if i was a bit unwell and off school) He started off at Watneys brewery as a drayman this followed a spell for corona then working for Smedleys foods which was in Farnworth these were great days i remember once getting out of a thames freezer wagon only to collaspe on the floof because it was that cold in the cab i lost use of my legs! He then did a stint driving the Asphalt wagon for boydell in tippings road ,later a good run at Parkers transport he had a mate called big Kenny who also drove there he was on all sorts of general haulage and parkers did not seem to mind me going with him as we used to get the bus down on sat morning hang around the Depot and then take the wagon home for that early start Monday .On the sunday night he used to spread his maps all over the floor and plan his route and he used to show us kids the trail say to Southhampton or london of which we would meet other Parker drivers around The Elephant and Castle after parking at Aldgate on a roundabout i think.He joined the BRS in Kay street Bolton on General haulage of which i lapped up every moment this would be the 70s My uncle Neil was the Chief engineer there . He ended up at Markland Scowcroft taking tubes to the North East finally finishing there as a shunter Driver due to a Heart issue . Because i was young and into wagons the likes of Thomas Harwood was on my way to school so i used to watch the old hands shunt and park up the AEC artics in the side cobbled street next to the Depot the was Snaylem up and down tonge moor road also do you remember a firm which had a couple of purple Atkinsons in a yard near to Tom Ashtons Garage then there was Hipwood and Grundy of which i am currently a construction Manager working in Larkhill next to were both Smedleys and Hipwoods would be . I am now 53 and still as i go past Harveys yard to my site i have a peek in as i past . Anyway going to Birch services in the morning to get my fix .Happy days Mike.

Hey mike some good memorys there mate.I lived in bolton for 56yrs and prob.crossed your old mans path somewere altho.i dont reognize the name.I worked at parkers aprox 1974/75[remember big kenny]mainly hauling steel for watsons, and tyres for good year[remember them]opp. corona.I also worked on m/scowcroft contract driving 4 wheelers and ocasionally artics.I worked for snaylams late 70s till he cl’osed in 83 mainly hauling mather and platt m,/cs from bradley fold and edbro tipping gears and bodies.Is your old man still alive if so he remember me by my nickname BILKO Happy days
Funny you should mention harveys thats ,who i worked for for 10yrs prior to retireing

thos harwood now in little lever . i remember as a kid going to see if his f10’s and i think f12’s were in his other yard ( the one at the top of tonge moor road ) i used to stand on castle hill school grounds looking at them . i never drove for him but i’v met him a few times years ago and he was the nicest man i ever had the pleasure to meet . i’ still live just down the road from where his old yard was and as far as i know he’s still in business and doing well . i also remember at one point he had a couple of yanky wagons ( whites i think ) . i think his son took over the running of the business at one point . a proper family concern as i remember .

bowser:
thos harwood now in little lever . i remember as a kid going to see if his f10’s and i think f12’s were in his other yard ( the one at the top of tonge moor road ) i used to stand on castle hill school grounds looking at them . i never drove for him but i’v met him a few times years ago and he was the nicest man i ever had the pleasure to meet . i’ still live just down the road from where his old yard was and as far as i know he’s still in business and doing well . i also remember at one point he had a couple of yanky wagons ( whites i think ) . i think his son took over the running of the business at one point . a proper family concern as i remember .

Hello bowser.
Yes you are right about the yanky trucks they were 2 cabovers looked good but rumor at the time was once you got over 50mph they shook you to bits.In the late 80s till 93 i worked for sheldons tspt.formerly of bury but we were in the yard in l/lever were tommy is now regards dave.

dafdave:

givover:

Hey mike some good memorys there mate.I lived in bolton for 56yrs and prob.crossed your old mans path somewere altho.i dont reognize the name.I worked at parkers aprox 1974/75[remember big kenny]mainly hauling steel for watsons, and tyres for good year[remember them]opp. corona.I also worked on m/scowcroft contract driving 4 wheelers and ocasionally artics.I worked for snaylams late 70s till he cl’osed in 83 mainly hauling mather and platt m,/cs from bradley fold and edbro tipping gears and bodies.Is your old man still alive if so he remember me by my nickname BILKO Happy days
Funny you should mention harveys thats ,who i worked for for 10yrs prior to retireing

Hi Bilko no sorry he died aged 53 25 yearsago ,i think the manager at marklands was called jim snape (or similar) he was there quite a few years after his first heart attack he came off the road to do shunting works but did the odd trip to Leeds in an Atkinson if you remember Kenny from parkers you may recall that he bought a Pink zodiac and my dad had a blue one. Kenny also died about 27 years ago seemed had all sorts wrong even going blind! I saw a photo of a Snaylams wagon on Northwest trucking site ,Did you know Tommy kelly from tonge moor drove a bedford on market work?.