Old companys from stoke -on trent

Good pics Bill. :wink: We had (only for a short while around 1975) a driver on Tilcon who I believe came from Tideswells, he worked out of Tilcon’s Kevin quarry and I think he went back to work there (Tideswells) again? I’m guessing that piloting a Foden halfcab tipper wasn’t for him! :laughing:

Pete.

Not Stoke but the potteries: found this atmosphere shot floating about in cyberspace. Robert

Not the best pics ,blame Dennis the oil man .

It is with great sadness that I come on here to announce the death of James Shirley, former co-owner, along with brother Arthur, and Director of Shirley’s Transport of Cellarhead, he died peacefully in his sleep with his family beside him.
James started as a mechanic in the workshop in 1964, became director in 1986, and reluctantly took retirement in 2008 due to health issues.
He had been fighting Parkinson’s disease for many years and latterly dementia.

Here’s a few pictures of my dads lorries. He is Gary Hayes he run Gary Hayes Transport pulling steel out of Armstrong steel in Fenton. His first lorry was a ERF E10 he had from 1990 to 1999 then he had a ERF EC14 1999 to 2002 the a DAF CF430 2002 to 2005.

EC957996-BA14-4CFD-9B25-6C19CB39B501.jpeg

F06FA2FC-FB14-4115-800D-BA9ADBACE30E.jpeg

443E0435-C2F2-4C09-9E31-3759F82702B5.jpeg

Wass did a lot of continental I used to work for someone who’s first job abroad was for Wass.

I think but may be wrong CoMart used to run to Pakistan if we are on about the correct company my dad used to stand and watch the trucks coming through town complete with bullet holes.

FF may put me right here.
Wasn’t it Comart that had a big splash in the local paper,(The Sentinel),about going overland to India or somewhere further,but only got as far as the Pakistan/Indian border to find that foreign vehicles could not travel in India and had to offload at the border?I seem to remember they even had a breakdown in Calais before they had been gone a couple of days.

stronsaychris:

ADAM:
wasnt there a firm called wasseys in longton?, when i was a kid in hospital there was a bloke in there called sam who used to work for ken beresford when he first started, not sure if thats the bloke you are on about though, there was also carr and hodgekinson although based at cheadle they did a bit of work for beresfords bringing timber back from france for beavais transit, i think COMARTS was a short name for COMMON MARKETS as i used to work with a guy who drove for them years ago, he told me that there was two gaffers and one was a pole / german■■?, not sure if some of the info is accurate though

I think the firm you are talking about was Wass transport in Longton run by a guy called Bill Wass. It was a real shoestring outfit mostly running ex NCB and Royal Mail cast offs. Cant believe they ever did continental, Stoke to Birmingham would have been a big adventure in their tackle!! Ironically, Bill Wass became Lord Mayor of Stoke on Trent!!
Great Pics on here. I worked for Berrisfords and Comart. Never heard the "common market " rumour before. These were the days before the EEC. Some readers may remember the days we used to clear customs in Dover. Average clearance time about 10hrs parked up in the lorry park on the docks. Cant imagine that these days!!
Comart was a good firm to work for. Lots of M.O.D. work to Germany.Yes one of the directors was German. Mr Moor and Mr Lock were managers at Comart and left to form Moorlock.
Thor was a great firm. Good tackle and lots of adventure. They were always respected as the “Bad ■■■” boys.
Any pictures of other stoke continental firms? I worked for Knight and Riley(Ceramic Euroflow) and Brit European when it was based at Scholar Green and still trading as Carmans transport.
Is that Phil Bunch (Bunchie) looking very young!!

I had a mate,Ian Turner,who used to do night trunk to Glasgow for Wasses carrying steel,driving a Guy Big J.
I remember Bunchie,Ray Gould and Dave Pritchard.It’s about 10 years since I last saw Dave Pritchard,but it’s over 20 years since I’ve seen Bunchie and Ray.

bunchy is on j&k oils .ray gold is on Shirley’s,Dave is on for a cheese firm from crewe area who’s name escapes me for the min

Does anyone have any information about Knight & Riley from Stoke, did they take over Stockton Haulage from Middlesborough with a depot in Larne/Belfast regards derek

bestbooties:
Wasn’t it Comart that had a big splash in the local paper,(The Sentinel),about going overland to India or somewhere further,but only got as far as the Pakistan/Indian border to find that foreign vehicles could not travel in India and had to offload at the border?I seem to remember they even had a breakdown in Calais before they had been gone a couple of days.

Ian,
I dont know if Comart went to India but I can remember Alan Morrey telling me once that he and another driver went to India in a Volvo F88, when they worked for THOR. He said that they took out 20 ton of copper and Alan was not one for Bulls* hitting and as you said they had to offload at the border. Does any body remember who the other driver was ?. I would be very interested to find out anything else about this trip.
Regards mushroomman.

mushroomman:

bestbooties:

Ian,
I dont know if Comart went to India but I can remember Alan Morrey telling me once that he and another driver went to India in a Volvo F88, when they worked for THOR. He said that they took out 20 ton of copper and Alan was not one for Bulls* hitting and as you said they had to offload at the border. Does any body remember who the other driver was ?. I would be very interested to find out anything else about this trip.
Regards mushroomman.

Ian your spot on they were stopped at the Pakistan /India border and tran shipped on to a local truck.and yes musheroommana it was Alan who did the trip.he was driving for Thor transport at the time .
can i ask how you new Alan .did you work with him at Dow ?Alan was like a dad to me and a cracking bloke .

My mistake,it was Thor and not Comart.

mushroomman im not sure who the other driver was that went with alan .but i think it was goldy (ray gold) will find out on monday for you

bestbooties:
My mistake,it was Thor and not Comart.

Ian when you see carrier bag (Carl) at anc ask him who went with Alan

another one of comarts volvos

and a moorlock truck

sorry for the quality of the picture.one of comarts hino’s

the flying foden:
bunchy is on j&k oils .ray gold is on Shirley’s,Dave is on for a cheese firm from crewe area who’s name escapes me for the min

Could it be Need’s , they have green Scanias■■?

Who was the firm from Chesterton who had the Kodak (i think) work out to everywhere■■?

Was it a Comart or Moorlock driver who was parked on the Reeperbahn when a tv documentry come on his wife was watching it and saw his truck on there, from what I was told wife was not happy and rang the office to get him home ASAP.■■?

i remember comarts and moorlocks comarts just did fridges as i remember they sent a lot of trucks over in there day