Old A1

Is The Boot and Shoe still open,…and can you still park there?
I’ve even forgot where it is now :unamused: :blush: …is it North of Selby fork?

No its a private house now. Just north of Selby Fork where the A63 goes off to Leeds.

B&S.png

There’s lots of trucks parked up most nights just a bit further down towards the motel .

Lonewolf Yorks:
No its a private house now. Just north of Selby Fork where the A63 goes off to Leeds.

Found these 2 Wolfie, would the pic of the garage be the original opposite the pub?

Yeah it is, its still there. The bottom shot must have been taken from the old A63 overbridge. Its gone now.

I’m back working at the side of the old A1 just before ferrybridge services , every morning there’s a long line of assorted trucks parked up on the north bound side are these waiting to tip at the power station ? ; there not for the landfill site further up at micklefield they park up opposite the old selby fork motel

Lonewolf Yorks:

grumpy old man:
The front cover photo on the book…is that Boroughbridge ■■ It’s many a long year since I went up the A1 over the bridge.

I could say buy the book and find out :laughing: :laughing: but no, its Sandy, Beds.

I thought it was woolfie, it’s where the A603 road from bedford joins what is now a feeder road to the A1 roundabout at sandy, that piece of road hasn’t changed one bit since the photo was taken with the exception of the cafe on the right hand side which is now a hotel which strangely has been boarded up for a few years now, no idea why as it wasn’t built that long ago and is in a prime location.

This is the hotel that now sits on the site of the old cafe at Girton bridge in your photo, as I stated previously it’s all boarded up now.

7CDD7996-804E-40F2-8315-E8E1426FA879.jpeg

gerard:
I’m back working at the side of the old A1 just before ferrybridge services , every morning there’s a long line of assorted trucks parked up on the north bound side are these waiting to tip at the power station ? ; there not for the landfill site further up at micklefield they park up opposite the old selby fork motel

If they are scrap bulkers they will be waiting to load at the former Ferrybridge C power station as they won’t let you on site until 8am.

There all walking floor trailers if that’s any help mainly Fred sherwood

Any pics of the bit between Hatfield and bignalls corner?-I can well remember the slum flats opposite de havilland in Hatfield,and the comet hotel ,the Budgie cafe,and the roundabout at Bignalls being just a regular roundabout.I was only a child then,but I’m very interested in what it actually looked like.
I was recently working on the industrial estate in Hatfield and boring everyone to death about where we were was the actual runway!!

My father worked for Deards of Finchley in the late sixties before he became an owner driver,and their depot was where Scantruck is now at south mimms-he was adamant that anyone that came in with a load of bricks had a course skimmed off the top and was used to build the offices.

gerard:
There all walking floor trailers if that’s any help mainly Fred sherwood

I reckon they would be delivering biomass pellets to the new Ferrybridge power station but Sherwoods were also collecting the waste plastic that lined the cooling towers

andrew.s:
Any pics of the bit between Hatfield and bignalls corner?-I can well remember the slum flats opposite de havilland in Hatfield,and the comet hotel ,the Budgie cafe,and the roundabout at Bignalls being just a regular roundabout.I was only a child then,but I’m very interested in what it actually looked like.
I was recently working on the industrial estate in Hatfield and boring everyone to death about where we were was the actual runway!!

Found this old photo on the internet of Bignalls corner.

4E7C922E-7C50-4454-A324-38235002B8BB.png

That’s brilliant,thanks Kempston-I imagine that pic must be 1940’s

Judging by the north bound sign this must be the old roundabout at Wetherby going south.