old 150s

Hello mate; the 5LW was the Gardner 100, the 6LW 120, 6LX 150, 6LXB 180, 6LXC 201, 6LXCT 230, 6LXDT 250 270 290 310, 6LYT 300 320 350, 8LW 180, 8LXB 240, 8LXC 265, 8LXCT 300. The 4LK was around the 50hp mark i think. The 5 cylinder did make another brief apperance in the 80’s as a 5LXCT, basicly a shortend 6LXCT and was to be made an option in a light weight ERF 16 ton chassis but never went into full production.
Cheers, Chris.

Thanks Chris, thats comprehensive! So did they release figure for the Turbo 5cyl at all?

swayze1:
THIS AINT ABOUT THE MOTORS I DONT KNOW IF I HAD A BAD MOMENT BUT IM SURE I STOOD IN WH SMITHS ON SATURDAY AND READ THIS.
A COMMERCIAL MOTOR ARTICLE SAYIN HOW THE SCOTTISH VOSA WERE FINING DRIVERS FOR ROPED AND SHEETED LOADS…
HELLO AM I WRONG OR DID I READ THIS :imp: :imp: :imp: REGARDS ALAN

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59781&p=716579&hilit=rope+sheet+tilt#p716579

mazz:

swayze1:
THIS AINT ABOUT THE MOTORS I DONT KNOW IF I HAD A BAD MOMENT BUT IM SURE I STOOD IN WH SMITHS ON SATURDAY AND READ THIS.
A COMMERCIAL MOTOR ARTICLE SAYIN HOW THE SCOTTISH VOSA WERE FINING DRIVERS FOR ROPED AND SHEETED LOADS…
HELLO AM I WRONG OR DID I READ THIS :imp: :imp: :imp: REGARDS ALAN

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59781&p=716579&hilit=rope+sheet+tilt#p716579

hi, s t m again, nobody seems to mention the atki’s and guys and erf’s with 180 ■■■■■■■
or 180 rolls eagles in em!! noisy old b*****d’s caused my tinitus over the years, deaf as a post now, still, can’t here the missus moaning too much,
so maybe a good,thing, going deaf??
get your ear defenders on boy’s, noise is no joke!!

it’s only a piece of metal,
don’t fall in love with it, :angry: :angry:

stan-the-man:
stan-the-man, my first motor was not the 150 i was talking about,
it was a foden 8 legger, for brs, in 62
top wack 29 mph, 40 x8 tyres, speedo in centre of steering wheel,
direct engine brakes (no reserve tank_if engine stopped no brakes,
ratchet handbrake on transmission, uphill 2mph, 29 on flat, unlimited down hill,
if you dared! kept foot on throttle to make sure it never came down to tickover
when revs dropped so did braking power,
wooden cab no heaters, all noise and no guts, 6lw engine 120
nightmare to go to aberdeen from stoke, 10 hour drive to crawford on a saturday
sunday up to the deen, tip reload monday down to carlisle tuesday,
home to stoke wednesday, brill!!
dont you be to envious of us oldies,
stan-the-man

it’s only a piece of metal
don’t fall in love with it :imp:

I can beat that, re engined 6 wheel Sentinal tipper in 1960. It was a Gardner, I’m not sure which, I was only a lad, 28mph, flat out. 3 load a day, Walton pit at Wakefield to Harrogate Gas. I got a bit more down Harewood bank in the “quiet” gear. :wink:

tonyhogi:
Stan-you may have had poor lorries & alot harder manual work etc , but i would swap my era with yours tomorrow my friend ,no wonder the old hands can’t wait to retire :angry: :angry: .The job is [zb] now . :arrow_right: Congestion worse than ever , Dog eat dog on the road , drivers treated like ‘scum’ of the earth , speed limiters ,peaktime ‘no overtaking’ , speed/traffic light cameras everywhere ,more & more weight limits , CCTV monitoring everything ( take a wrong turn & you might get done! ) everbody in a hurry , no parking anywhere ,hardly any cafes left , more & more ‘petty’ rules , jobsworths everywhere -security esp! , driver CPC , no smoking in cab ,H & S gone mad ( how did we get by before Hi vis ■■ ) , M25 , boring mways & bypasses ,roadworks , GPS tracking ,mobile phones , Supermarket RDC’s , foreign lorries …Yes the lorries might be easier to drive & load/unload, but what else has improved :cry: :cry:
Progress eh :unamused: :unamused:

I can’t argue with that, I’m glad I’m well out of it. I had a good working life, overall I enjoyed it, but I’ve no desire to go back on the road today. :slight_smile:
My eldest lad (38) is a fitter for Crossroads, he does a bit of driving if required, last weekend I had to show him how to tie a dolly. He didn’t know what I was talking about.

grumpy old man:

tonyhogi:
Stan-you may have had poor lorries & alot harder manual work etc , but i would swap my era with yours tomorrow my friend ,no wonder the old hands can’t wait to retire :angry: :angry: .The job is [zb] now . :arrow_right: Congestion worse than ever , Dog eat dog on the road , drivers treated like ‘scum’ of the earth , speed limiters ,peaktime ‘no overtaking’ , speed/traffic light cameras everywhere ,more & more weight limits , CCTV monitoring everything ( take a wrong turn & you might get done! ) everbody in a hurry , no parking anywhere ,hardly any cafes left , more & more ‘petty’ rules , jobsworths everywhere -security esp! , driver CPC , no smoking in cab ,H & S gone mad ( how did we get by before Hi vis ■■ ) , M25 , boring mways & bypasses ,roadworks , GPS tracking ,mobile phones , Supermarket RDC’s , foreign lorries …Yes the lorries might be easier to drive & load/unload, but what else has improved :cry: :cry:
Progress eh :unamused: :unamused:

I can’t argue with that, I’m glad I’m well out of it. I had a good working life, overall I enjoyed it, but I’ve no desire to go back on the road today. :slight_smile:
My eldest lad (38) is a fitter for Crossroads, he does a bit of driving if required, last weekend I had to show him how to tie a dolly. He didn’t know what I was talking about.

S,T,M, I DID A SPELL ON AN OLD SENTINEL WITH AN UNDERSLUNG ENGINE must have been an early one reg; number KUK 126, FOR BRS, HAD A PUP TRAILER AND A MATE TO GO WITH IT , only allowed to give brs a return average of 16 miles per hour, 3hr trip to liverpool,
sliding doors no heaters, brill in winter, that was 29 top speed on a five speed box,
almost set her on fire in 62/3 winter, burning diesel rag on a body hook, dive into cab and hope she firedup before she caught fire,
only trouble was i’d got a load of insulaters packed in straw on and i was home on a fiddler,

i’ve never pi**ed so high in my life, but for once i’d got a good jet,

it’s only a piece of metal
don’ fall in love with it stan- the-man :angry:

There arn’t many engines where you can close down the deliveries to the injectors on the fuel pump one by one until its running on only one cylinder, this always amazed and amused me about the Gardner, the superb engineering and very low engine speed allowed this, not sure how fast you would go with only one pot working though! Here’s the 5LW, 5LXCT and Lube diagram for the 6LX 150. Enjoy Franky.

ghinzani:
Thanks Chris, thats comprehensive! So did they release figure for the Turbo 5cyl at all?

Think it was going to be used at 160-170hp and i believe it was also going to be offered in Hoizontal form for Buses.

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

ghinzani:

Think it was going to be used at 160-170hp and i believe it was also going to be offered in Hoizontal form for Buses.

Magic, and judging by the pics above at least one survived for posterity.

hi folks, i think i can go one beter than a 150. i worked for a long gone firm in danbury essex,( wyatt transport ) back in the seventys & old geoff wyatt bourght two secondhand 120s ex car transporters he said would nt pull the skin of a rice pudding, i had a 150 in my d reg ERF but swapped it for a leyland super comet because my jack russell could see out the windscreen beter, wrong move ,that didnt pull either,later on i moved up to a 180. flying machine those were the days keep on truckin.

filinfrance:
hi folks, i think i can go one beter than a 150. i worked for a long gone firm in danbury essex,( wyatt transport ) back in the seventys & old geoff wyatt bourght two secondhand 120s ex car transporters he said would nt pull the skin of a rice pudding, i had a 150 in my d reg ERF but swapped it for a leyland super comet because my jack russell could see out the windscreen beter, wrong move ,that didnt pull either,later on i moved up to a 180. flying machine those were the days keep on truckin.

My dad (Gareth Williams) drove at Wyatt’s thru the late 70’s and untill 1991 ish) This is his old ERF TJV702J
I remember the B series’s more and thats the whole reason we currently own a 1980 B series. I would love to see some more pics of the old Wyatt trucks

Aye but you must rememeber

Aye but what you must remember a Gardner 120 was originally a 6 LW 112 Brake Horse power so not much of a step up, the 6LX150 was a massive step forward, the 180 Gardner was the same size 10.45Ltr. just timed different, & for my money the 150 was the better of the two. Regards Larr

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Hello mate; the 5LW was the Gardner 100, the 6LW 120, 6LX 150, 6LXB 180, 6LXC 201, 6LXCT 230, 6LXDT 250 270 290 310, 6LYT 300 320 350, 8LW 180, 8LXB 240, 8LXC 265, 8LXCT 300. The 4LK was around the 50hp mark i think. The 5 cylinder did make another brief apperance in the 80’s as a 5LXCT, basicly a shortend 6LXCT and was to be made an option in a light weight ERF 16 ton chassis but never went into full production.
Cheers, Chris.

Hiya …meee finks a 8LW is only rated as a 140/150 … i may be wrong but someone told me at Astel park
John

Well my 150 was in a Seddon which I think was ash framed like the Atkis. It had a 6 speed DB box which was very smooth to use. plated at 32 tonnes I used it to pull Ferrymasters tilt, flatbeds and containers. It was not the quickest thing around but not so slow as some have mentioned. With the 6 speed box I used to put it down as low as third and tell it " that’s it you’re getting no more" and it would quietly chug away, up the side of a house if need be. I remember taking a 20 ton load in a tilt out to Hereford after a 205 Atki had dragged it back from Felixstowe. Afterwards the boss asked how it had pulled as the other driver was complaining it dragged a bit. I wasn’t fast but I got it there in around an hour which was standard time for that route. Eventually I swapped it for a 220 Roller in a Motor Panels Cabbed Seddon (FAD314L Brand new) and was sorry to see it go.

It ended it’s days in a field just off a bend on the road between Bedford and the A1 along with 20 tons of PVC resin, you could still see the white in the soil for years afterwards :unamused: The driver was pushing for Felixstowe but didn’t quite make the bend (He was OK)