Now this made me laugh :-)

nightline:
The question should be if he was 100 miles from home what would he have done, now I would love to here that answer

Yep, and if his Auntie had ■■■■■■■■ she’d be his Uncle! He wasn’t 100 miles from home so it’s a moot point. You could always start a thread titled, oh I don’t know, how about “I’m out of time 100 miles from base, I don’t do nights out, advice anybody?”

DUFFMAN:

TheBorg:
My, how we laughed at this one.

It must be the 5th rotation of this exact same story on TNUK.

Another internet warrior !

With a whole 24 posts :astonished:

and 2 of them are on this topic :smiley:

Personally I would have parked up took the keys home with me and started again from the same spot next morning and run in,any complaints from the Gaffer refer him to the runt

lolipop:
Personally I would have parked up took the keys home with me and started again from the same spot next morning and run in,any complaints from the Gaffer refer him to the runt

I know one driver that got into trouble for leaving his truck in a layby and booking into a Premier Inn a mile up the road for the night. Some hauliers seem to believe you should be an unpaid security guard for the night.

This whole incident highlights why I refuse to undertake any long distance work anymore, as some of these tinpot hauliers don’t seem to think drivers have an existence outside of work.

lolipop:

This^^
And adding a little extra onto the next couple of weeks time sheets.
Just to make it right

LIBERTY_GUY:
OK, this is via a friend of a friend on Facebook. I don’t know the driver personally, or who they work for.

Here is the story as I have read it. Driver was given a long distance run, rather than the mid distance run he was promised. Wasn’t happy as told them he needed to be back home that night without fail. Whilst out they added a collection onto his run that was out of his way and needless to say he ran out of hours about thirty miles away from base. Rang up his traffic office and asked for someone to pick him up from where he was parked, to be met with some stroppy little kid telling him nobody was available and he’d have to night out. Driver advised them he wasn’t nighting out as (a) didn’t have night out gear and (b) had already advised them he needed to be back that night, this was met by abusive comments from stroppy office runt. The driver said ok ring me back in ten minutes and I’ll sort something. The traffic office rang back after ten minutes, same stroppy kid on the line. The driver advised him he was all sorted out now as his wife was picking him up and they’d find the keys under the front bumper. Apparently his phone has been ringing virtually non stop ever since. :open_mouth:

Now I don’t know what it was that made me laugh about this, the fact that someone has finally stood up for themselves, or that drivers still ‘hide’ keys under the bumper of trucks for other drivers.

I had a job like that once on agency. Never met anyone, just told where to find the keys, notes ect, went there, tipped, loaded and came back again.

It was my daughters birthday yesterday and I am working Sunday. Was told early finish and needed to be home. Friday I was at Immingham and base at Cardiff, had 3 deliveries. It’s about 2 hours per job easy. Told them no and ran back to Cardiff empty. They were not happy, still employed though;):wink:

I was given a run from Immingham to Dorchester Thursday last week. Live load at 5am with an AM delivery slot, 6 hours 10 minutes to get there and thats without a break! They also expected me to get to Eastleigh before 3pm and another AM slot for Gosport. Got to Southampton services from Dorchester and just parked up, phoned the office and said that I’ll start again in the morning. Not wasting my last 10 hour for that. To my suprise they just had get there for 8am.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Prior to digi tachos and recording working hours for the WTD, it was quite a common practice amongst drivers to lift the tacho chart if close to base and just write the final mileage in when you got back.

Only because the idiots didn’t realise the zig-zag trace was distance so it was childishly simple for VOSA to look at the start mileage, finish mileage, work out what the driver claimed he’d done then count the number of zig-zags to work out the actual recorded mileage on the chart.

When I was working for Stobarts out of Newport, I had the same problem with my planner, just bear in mind I’ve been telling the planners for over two weeks every single day that I’m going away on the Thursday night before Easter Friday and I told them in English and not in welsh so there’s no language barrier,

Wednesday night they sent me from Warrington to Salisbury for Thursday morning tip so I thought happy days early finish. when I was empty I rung them, then they hit me with can you go to Edmonton, London coca cola to pick up a load for asda Chepstow for Saturday morning tip, so I remind them again I got to finish Thursday night in Newport as I’m going away for a long weekend.

ok ok we know that but we haven’t got any drivers available at the moment in that area so don’t worry, get there a.s.a.p. and I will get them to load you straight away, ok on route to London now get there for 11.00am, when I get there the security guard on the gate said to me your eager ? ? ? what do you mean, your booking is not till 16.00pm, no I’ve been told you will load me now, no they can’t as there a bit of a queue in the yard waiting to be loaded, straight on the phone to my planner leave it with me I will get it sorted, ok I say just another reminder I’m finish early today yeah we all know that,

I then started to ring them every 15 mins ok they said leave it with us, I did start to ring them from 11.00am and by 13.00pm I had to give them ultimateing if I’m not loaded by 14.00pm I running back to Newport empty, then I get yeah yeah we will see,and that’s when my challenge started,

in those days we had to text them when we left a job address. the time is now 14.01pm please open the gate mr security, I’m going home he then said you can’t leave as you are not loaded, I say you have two option open the gate or stand well back as I will go straight throw it, all of sudden the gate opens, I then send my text message " Home Sweet Home " now I’m on the A10 just getting on the M25 when I get a phone call well done your loaded I said nope then there was a deadly silence for about 30sec felt like an hour. you go straight back now and get your load,

by then the traffic was very heavy both ways on the M25, and again I said nope and I’m on holiday as from now so happy Easter, then come all the threating calls from planners, managers and that TV star Ashley from Wales, I then told them I can’t help you with your bad planning, then by the time I got to Reading J12 on the M4, then William Stobarts rung and told Ashley who at that time was office staff only not a driver he keeps saying on the TV that I had done nothing wrong and I wouldn’t be on disciplinary when I get back on Tuesday,

I said I know because I had given them enough notice about my holiday and to ■■■■ them of a little bit more I run out of driving hours on the severn bridge aust services and had to ring Ashley to pick me up and send another driver to retrieve my truck and empty trailer which they did, so if you got principles and know your rights stick to your guns.

Happy Days.

I write off week nights, I never know if I will be home or out and what hours will be. So I let our office know and they like that (obviously).
But they know if I say I need to finish early (only rarely) it means I will finish early.
They are good and stick to the agreement as we all get on very well.
We are own account and it’s easier.

Conor:

LIBERTY_GUY:
Prior to digi tachos and recording working hours for the WTD, it was quite a common practice amongst drivers to lift the tacho chart if close to base and just write the final mileage in when you got back.

Only because the idiots didn’t realise the zig-zag trace was distance so it was childishly simple for VOSA to look at the start mileage, finish mileage, work out what the driver claimed he’d done then count the number of zig-zags to work out the actual recorded mileage on the chart.

It was easier for a driver to stop prior to running out of time ,& just pull the fuse, run into the yard, remove chart replace fuse. set clock to correct time do a forwards shunt so the power interruption trace is executed or the next card in will show it, as for which method was deemed to be the most serious I’m not sure as both are falsifying driving records/drivers hours,

with digital tacho’s magnet is your best friend allegedly according to some drivers ,not that i would know anything about magnet use

Personally if i wasn’t more than 30-45mins away from the yard i would just run in and write an explanation on the back re no secure &suitable place to stop ,loaded with high value goods ,blah blah, As long as you don’t repeat frequently i doubt much would be said about it

A while back I was told I had to do an extra shift and if I didn’t comply I’d be sacked.

Replied that I was about to go on holiday, booked for months and couldn’t do it.

They tried ringing a few more times then when I answered I said I was dropping the trailer on the bay and bringing the unit back solo. They calmed down after that.

I’d left the phone in the cab whilst tipping to had about 30 missed calls, several voicemails and texts pleading with me not to do it.

Threats can sometimes work, but they can also backfire on you. I’m still working for them.

Standard practise .desk jockeys do the opposite of what they are told.by their superiors .drivers .I’d sugar it too

Invoice for the taxi .75 quid