Now I've Heard It All!

alamcculloch:
The buses have a reverse gear and the bus driver test is the same as the truck test,reverse into bay and controlled stop before going out on the road.

Very good point!
Next time one of these tw?ts says i’m not allowed to reverse,i’ll bring this up.

maybe the rule is not allowed to reverse without proper supervision

so what happens if they have to back out of a bus station bay like the one in grantham

Davnic:

alamcculloch:
The buses have a reverse gear and the bus driver test is the same as the truck test,reverse into bay and controlled stop before going out on the road.

Very good point!
Next time one of these tw?ts says i’m not allowed to reverse,i’ll bring this up.

And ask if they’ve ever heard of the 2 T’s, he shouldn’t have been so far up your ■■■ he couldn’t get round :unamused:

Sayin that i have been on a bus with about 15 others and we all had to get off and walk over the bridge then he drove over before we all got back on :laughing: :laughing:

When you’ve had enough guessing i’ll tell you why, it did have a little bit to do with weight :wink: :grimacing:

philgor:
so what happens if they have to back out of a bus station bay like the one in grantham

Good point, forgot Macclesfield, Manchester Airport, service stations and many other bus stations only have bays to pull on then reverse out when loaded :laughing:

May’be the muppet behind Davnic just couldn’t reverse :unamused:

i was once pulled by the police for going over a bridge that had an 18t weight limit whilst in a 26t gvw beavertail lorry, the very new police officer was keen to argue that i had broken the law etc etc…when i asked how he stated the obvious that this vehicle is 26t and the weight limit is clearly marked 18t… he looked very confused when i also explained the obvious to him that whilst the vehicle is clearly un laden its weight is approximatley 12.5t and the big red sticker in the window cleary states this…i dont think he knew whether to laugh or cry…

They have that one covered,bus stations airports and all that are not public roads.Look on it as an … covering exercise

kemaro:
i was once pulled by the police for going over a bridge that had an 18t weight limit whilst in a 26t gvw beavertail lorry, the very new police officer was keen to argue that i had broken the law etc etc…when i asked how he stated the obvious that this vehicle is 26t and the weight limit is clearly marked 18t… he looked very confused when i also explained the obvious to him that whilst the vehicle is clearly un laden its weight is approximatley 12.5t and the big red sticker in the window cleary states this…i dont think he knew whether to laugh or cry…

Are you sure about this?

Maximum gross weight means;

(a) in the case of a motor vehicle not drawing a trailer or in the case of a trailer, its maximum laden weight.

(b) in the case of an articulated vehicle, its maximum laden weight (if it has one) and otherwise the aggregate maximum laden weight of all the individual vehicles forming part of that articulated vehicle.

(c) in the case of a motor vehicle (other than an articulated vehicle) drawing one or more trailers, the aggregate maximum laden weight of the motor vehicle and the trailer or trailers drawn by it.

How about if you drive through old London town and drive past an 18 tonne sign in your 6 wheeler. Can you explain to Boris why you are exempt?

There is a sign just like that before a weak bridge on the way to mancetter quarry which has an exemption plate underneath it stating “Except for unladen vehicles”. As far as I know any weight limit applies to the GVW.

tofer:
There is a sign just like that before a weak bridge on the way to mancetter quarry which has an exemption plate underneath it stating “Except for unladen vehicles”. As far as I know any weight limit applies to the GVW.

So does that mean i cant cross tower bridge 18T but no mgw on sign in my 26t six wheeler, drag axle up,been using it for the past couple of years with no problem even though it has cameras on it.

as long as the vehicle does not exceed the weight limit on the sign i can cross, it was unladen so was no where near its mgw…
Hammersmith bridge in london has a 7.5t restriction on it yet buses and coaches cross it full with passengers…

kemaro:
as long as the vehicle does not exceed the weight limit on the sign i can cross, it was unladen so was no where near its mgw…
Hammersmith bridge in london has a 7.5t restriction on it yet buses and coaches cross it full with passengers…

Thats what i thought …unless it has mgw on sign

Davnic:

alamcculloch:
Could I ask the truckers to bear in mind that the buses are regulated by a whole army of bods who who have no knowledge of the real world. They are salaried!!They come up with all sorts of petty regulations and risk assesments,I am not supposed to reverse with children aboard,but on occassion I have to.

Exactly,sometimes you have to.
The bus driver in question today,literally had to reverse 2 feet,take a shunt and he would have passed me but oh no,it was “I’m not allowed to reverse” blah blah blah.
All i’m asking is for a bit of common sense.

From memory also, I believe they are alloud to reverse either 1 or 2 bus lengths without supervision.

I used to use this “rule” when it suited me also. The stroppier the car driver, the stricter the enforcement…unless I was coming off at the end of the run :smiley:

scotty1972:

kemaro:

Thats what i thought …unless it has mgw on sign

all weight limit signs are for maximum gross weight, this one means anything (goods vehicle) that can gross over 7.5 tonnes is not allowed to pass it the end of the restriction is the same but in grey with a diagonal line through it
it makes no difference if you are loaded or not with these signs unless it is stated in words on the sign.
Buses have their own signs and have to obey signs with just numbers like this one