Not allowed to work Saturdays

after doing 60 hours in the week mate
i think you should go the pub and have a good drink on saturdays
you deserve it

Juddian:

Saaamon:

Juddian:
If you’re getting 60 hours in then i can understand why the customer doesn’t want you doing any other work, even if you are booking lots of POA.

why?

If a drivers getting 60 hours in then unless he’s booking a serious amount of hours as POA then he’ll be close to the 48 hour average.

Customer doesn’t know how many hours a driver may have to do on a weekend shift if for another client, so likely to push him well over 48 hours, and they don’t want the risk.

You wrote it. I highlighted it, Selby only wants to do a couple or three weekends before her holidays, the average out of 60 with POA shouldn’t come into it.

The biggest worry could be the fortnightly limit of 90 hours driving

Correct me of Im wrong…I asume the OP is a self employed driver.
If so, why have they worked at 1 site via 1 agy for 19 months … In breach of IR35?

peirre:
If so, why have they worked at 1 site via 1 agy for 19 months … In breach of IR35?

I’m PAYE not self employed, only pay a pound an hour more on self employed, not worth it IMO there is lads who are self employed who have been there a few years

Juddian:

commonrail:
i think you made the right decision

+1, yes it does seem a bit unfair, but that regular weekly 60 would take some replacing.

Enjoy the holiday.

thanks, I sure will enjoy it

villa:
after doing 60 hours in the week mate
i think you should go the pub and have a good drink on saturdays
you deserve it

try tellin my mrs that, no rest for the wicked :wink:

peirre:

Like Selby I too have worked at the same ND site for over two years (s/e) with no problems, we recently had a change of agency but tbh it hasn’t affected us. Apart from holidays and weekends I’ve never not had a shift with them, and as a tramper I have my own assigned truck that very very rarely gets used when I’m off.

Juddian:
Customer seems to want his cake and eat it here, understand why up to a point but unless you’re putting in some serious in week hours, i reckon they are being a bit unfair.

Only you know how the regular weekday customer will react, it might not worry the agency but it’ll be a sod if the customer hoofs you out from your regular bread and butter stuff for doing other weekend work.

Edit…have you spoken to your main customer to see if they have any weekend stuff with them?

That…

They want agency drivers, but they want dedicated drivers through the agency, they can’t have it both ways.

It’s risky ground, because if they just phone the agency and say “we don’t want him anymore” you’re out, but I’d be getting Saturday or Sunday work (as long as it was legal) if I wanted it, even if I had to go elsewhere.

If you’ve been there 19mths now, shouldn’t you be on same rates and conditions as the full timers? :grimacing:

Driveroneuk:
Why not just be honest? Go in & speak to your boss at the co. Explain that you’ve got a holiday abroad coming up & could use a few extra beer tokens. Tell him you’ve turned outside work down due to their policy & that you would be very grateful if he could find you a few Saturdays before your hol. even if its only half a day.

However, he might want a commitment in exchange that you would continue to be available to do sats on the run up to Xmas after your holbe ready to be reasonable, .

This is also a damned good point, you point out that you normally turn weekend work down, and don’t want it, but when you want it you expect it.

You also can’t have it all ways.

Still 19mths at same firm, suprised you’re not full time tbh

selby newcomer:
‘… has anyone got any idea what I can say to them about it …
coz I normally end up losing my rag and don’t really want to…’

Firstly, well done on the emotional management lark.

Meanwhile, maybe consider e-mailing your MP via writetothem.com/ with a straightforward or edited cut/paste from your post on here to, as it’s confidential, include company details, eg., address, names & e-mail stuff :question:

It might not get you an immediate solution but could assist the MP to understand the realities of the job market - ie., should they ever be tempted to get on a soap-box to inaccurately gob-off about how rosy the employment scene is, etc etc.

What might cut through the dung would be to especially ask for one-off consideration in your email by requesting the MP contacts the long-term company boss to lean on them a bit as an individual with whatever you can come up with as specific needs above or beyond the company’s clearly protected but morally questionable & self-serving desires, blah :wink: