Nostalgia!!

alanwalker:
Hi Rikki
I worked for Smith & Robinson - S & R at Rothwell twice 3years (I was youngest driver at 23) and again at 32 years old for 16 years.
I became a driver trainer in 1974 and eventually Training Officer. I also worked for Harold Woods, Calor, L.P.G. TDG and trained thousands of great guys across the UK, Shell, Fina, BP, Hoyer, etc.etc.
I enjoyed every second as a driver and all the other roles, even LDOY class H -1st in Yorkshire 1970/1972 and 2nd in Yorkshire 1971/1973.
If anyone remembers me please accept my best regards and just to let you know I am still alive and kicking and in great shape at 76.

I am pleased you have found this site Alan. You may bring some of us back down to earth. I was 22 when I first came to Liquid Powders & Gas Transport for my hazchem course, it has stood me in good stead ever since. I remember a comment you made to me as I finished an exam long before the final finish time. All I wanted was another cup of coffee and a cigarette, in those days we could stand outside the portacabin. You were surprised I had finished so early and if I wanted to check my answers. Apparently I had made one mistake which I left alone, as you said I had already passed with flying colours :smiley: We celebrated on the last day in the pub.

I enjoyed going into Nab Lane, all the drivers in the canteen, the fitting and washbay staff, even the office staff were always a great laugh. Little Jimmy and Harold in the washbay always looked after me, and I was known as “Victor Nobby Balls” after my registration number VNB

My last visit to Linkman Batley was to see Keith Grimshaw as I had worked on the Continent with him for several years.

I wish you a long and happy retirement!

Malcolm

The world of transport has changed dramatically over the years, and characters in the industry have come and gone, and there is no one/where that is documenting the memories of those days/people.

There are many threads on TruckNet UK giving a glimpse of days and Drivers long gone. This forum will serve to enable these recollections to be easily found and added to. and it will serve as an ongoing record of achievements, disasters, tears and laughter.

It can also be used to try to contact or hear news about old workmates.
If any one finds a thread on this site they think should be in here please post a link to it and I will take a look and if I agree I will move it into here

Thank you very very much this is just what the doctor ordered I am

lucky in that I have spoken to some of the people who participated in

the trail blazeing of the routes to m/e , and what a realy good read

it would be if some one could get these memories down on paper

and in print, I know that if a book was to come out it would sell

and make a profit for the investor.

Hi Pete i have often thought of writing my memoirs…but it takes a lot of time to get all the facts together…its more than just re-calling from memory…you need lots of photos and research etc to make it interesting…then theres the cost.and i havnt got the money or the time at the moment…but i would love to…maybe one day…
trucky

Nick Garlick will be publishing a book on the M/E soon,with stories from past Astran drivers amongst others.

yes Brian I remember 20 Crabtree Avenue well, I signed on for the Army at 17 1/2 and left there in 1955 and married Carol. My sister Lucy and brother David shared the house until about 4 years ago then sold it and moved to an appartment in Hecky.

Hi Malcolm
Glad you enjoyed it at LPG, lots of changes now, Margaret’s retired, Jimmy Lord has lived in Spain for a good few years and Harold McGowan passed away last year I believe. I enjoyed my time at LPG and am delighted to say that anyone I meet that worked with me still speaks to me. Best regards Alan

alanwalker:
Hi Rikki
I worked for Smith & Robinson - S & R at Rothwell twice 3years (I was youngest driver at 23) and again at 32 years old for 16 years.
I became a driver trainer in 1974 and eventually Training Officer. I also worked for Harold Woods, Calor, L.P.G. TDG and trained thousands of great guys across the UK, Shell, Fina, BP, Hoyer, etc.etc.
I enjoyed every second as a driver and all the other roles, even LDOY class H -1st in Yorkshire 1970/1972 and 2nd in Yorkshire 1971/1973.
If anyone remembers me please accept my best regards and just to let you know I am still alive and kicking and in great shape at 76.

Hello Alan and welcome to trucknetuk, you trained me twice at LPG Birstall, once when I worked for Sykes Bulk Liquids and again when I worked for Hoyers.
Glad to know you’re still in good health and thanks for making the training so interesting for us all! Don’t know if you remember but I bumped into you at the Great Yorkshire Show a few years back,
Steve Cook

Hi

If you guys want nostalgie, Billingham to Dumfries and Ardrossan Saltcoates with Nitric acicd as many loads as you can manage this week.
Yea that was Smith & Robinson ( S & R ) nothing on the road could touch us AEC 9.6 40x8 tyres people moved to one side when they saw the red AEC in the mirror. The fastest man was Joe Kokes ( Koky Joe) no nerves !!! At S & R we fought to be the best and in the top ten, to be quite honest we were the best on the road and you all knew it!!!.
There were no companies in the UK that could ever have the staus of S & R, please tell me if I am wrong in this assunption.

Alan Walker LDOY West Yorkshire 1st 1970, 2nd 1971m 1st 1992, 2nd 1993, H class articulated vehicle. C’mon

It is really is great to hear from people that were in the fantastic transport industry I had the absolute pleasure of meeting a lot of first class people, I was so lucky to be there at the right time but I will never forget all the great truckers that I had the priveledge to train and meet. You never knew it but you made my life so rewarding and I will be ever grateful for that. I have no grudges and so many great memories that money just could not buy.

Alan Walker ■■

alanwalker:
Hi

If you guys want nostalgie, Billingham to Dumfries and Ardrossan Saltcoates with Nitric acicd as many loads as you can manage this week.
Yea that was Smith & Robinson ( S & R ) nothing on the road could touch us AEC 9.6 40x8 tyres people moved to one side when they saw the red AEC in the mirror. The fastest man was Joe Kokes ( Koky Joe) no nerves !!! At S & R we fought to be the best and in the top ten, to be quite honest we were the best on the road and you all knew it!!!.
There were no companies in the UK that could ever have the staus of S & R, please tell me if I am wrong in this assunption.

Alan Walker LDOY West Yorkshire 1st 1970, 2nd 1971m 1st 1992, 2nd 1993, H class articulated vehicle. C’mon

Calm down Alan - eveyone knows Sykes Bulk Liquids were the best!!!

Suttons Tony:
As this is about Nostalgia and I was only in Transport for the first ten years of my working life perhaps this is the place to put some of my memories, i.e. 1958 to 1968, I started work at Inter City Transport of ■■■■■■■■■■■ at their London Depot in 1958 which was situated opposite Holloway Womens Prison and occasionaly a released prisoner would come to look fror a lift home up north were some funny tales were heard including female prisoners who had been behind bars for at least 2 years were all of a sudden pregnant, this was a bit of an eye opener for a youyng 15 year old as I had been taught that “ladies” were pregnant for 9 months, also we had a sub contractor on local work who used to have some Bedfords on rag work that used to visit both Pentonville and Holloway Prisons and they told us of a young plumbing apprentice working in Holloway who had been raped by some of the Women inmates, well I thought I’m in the wrong job, where’s the Stillsons, but in truth the young 16 year old boy was in quite a bad way after his ordeal.
Inter City ran mostly Leyland 8 wheelers with load of Albions of various sorts including some 8 wheelers that had been built for the aborted Ground Nut Scheme in Kenya, Some AEC 8 wheelers, my favorites, and some old Atkinsons including one or two having the accelerator in the centre between the clutch and footbrake,
I moved from Inter City to Sutton & Son (St Helens) London Depot which was situated funnilly enough behind Pentonville Prison, where I worked as a trailer mate until I was 21 in 1964 when I took my Driving Test on one of Suttons old Atkinson 8 wheelers which was a good 7 years older than I was and when I arrived at the Wood Green Test Centre the examiner said that he had never taken a test in such a big Lorry before, I told nor had I, but it turned out ok, that was the only time I had ever had "L"plates on. I should point out that Alfie Suttons old Atkis may have been old but they were in fine Mechanical condition as all his vehicles normally were and also most of the oild Atkis which had come off BRS where a bit like Triggers Broom in that they had been heavy 6 wheelers but Sutton had new light weight chassis fitted and turned into 8 wheelers with single drive and new cabs but would not need new LW Gardners. Shunting for Suttons included all sorts of work including flats of allsorts, occasional Tankers including a rubber tank that could also be a flat, not entirely a success.
I left Suttons to go on to the BRS at their Cressy Road, Hampstead Depot which was the London Depot for the North West and our Depot code was CJ, I trunked and/shunted mainly Bristols but this did include a right load of rubbish from some of the North Western Depots like Greenhays, Manchester and Preston to name just two. I was very surprised at the condition of BRS motors in comparison with Suttons motors and this includes the new Guy Big J’s with the ■■■■■■■ 220, crap motor, good engine, and AEC Ergonomic Mandaters which were the first crap AEC’s I had come across and I had driven Mk3’s and Mk5’s which were good motors.
I really don’t know anything about M&E work, in fact the nearest I got to Continental work was picking up a tank trailor of the ferry at Tilbury, but I have driven some real old beasts including Scammels etc, most of which were older than I was, and an old ERF with the accelerater in the middle and after reading some of the comments about the old British Lorry I think there is a lot of missunderstandings and ill informed oppinion.
I got married in 1968 and decided being jack the on the lorries would have to change and I left Transport and ended up in Television (behind the camera) and worked for Thames Television for over 23 years and also as a freelance, I am now retired and live at least half of my life on the Costa Blanca, Spain.

Tony

Hi Tony. Just found your text. Brought back many memories as my “love affair” with transport/haulage started at Cressy Road. My step dad was a trunker from there . His main vehicle in the '50s was an AEC 4w Box which ran to Greenheys. His name was Ernie Morey (Tichie), only very short. Used to sit at an angle to reach pedals! Many a memory of cafes and stops for a kip - Coventry centre and West Brom, outside car factory. From there I went on to J & H Transport Services (see old drivers forum). Those days could never be repeated and should be recorded!

fonzi:
Cor What a hoot, I found this site by accident and I’ve just spent the best reading time and what a memory jerk-er. some of the stuff here was a distant memory slotted away in the old memory draws until now that is. the mention of some of the old names ( companies ) brought back many thoughts ( some good some really bad ) but all part of my life gone by. I started driving trucks in the UK when I reached 21years 1971 ( I started in Aussie two years before as you only had to be 19 to drive a semi their ) and when I returned to the UK I got my UK licence through J. SPURLINGS who were then in silver town way. I didn’t stay there long before moving on to G L BAKER in channelsea road ( think that’s spelt write ) stratford e15. Ronny Muggleton was transport manager then I think.
and i used to drive a GUY I thought it was the bees knees then. But I had my sites set on driving on the continent so I just kept phoning around till someone would give me a chance. And that happened to be LACEYS OF BARKING. my first truck was a leyland buffalo non sleeper ( used to have a drop down bunk behind the seats ) but I didn’t care at the time ( I was young and full of glory hahaha ) I used to do a regular run to Frankfurt ( there were two of us with the old buffalos ) we must have been insane but i had such a good time I was trucking and on the wrong side of the road… Then i went into the yard one Sunday morning and lo and behold I had been given a Scania 110 ( again a non sleeper ) I felt like i had won the pools ( no lottery then ) but at least you could hear the radio and it went up hills faster than walking pace. I worked for LACEYS on and off over a period of time, and I drove my all-time favorite truck with them that being the Ford transcontinental what a cracking truck and I loved that old ■■■■■■■■ engine bugger to start in the winter up the blanc but I loved it…
I don’t know if I’ve got all the times correct but that’s memory for u. I went to work for a guy called Phil Gibson ( P G INTERNATIONL ) I drove a MAN with a column gear change comfy motor but gutless engine, I used to pull FRIGOSCANDIA TRAILERS from Stratford yard, mainly to FOGGIA in Italy. again they were good times Used to stop at the BAKEHOUSE at MACON always full of Brits and had some good laughs there. I could go on and on but I think I will have a break now and give my self time to recall more of them dusty old memories, keep up the good work I just love it…

Does anyone know what happened to Ronnie Muggleton? Would like to contact re. J & H Transport. Doug Cull.

nostalgia - it ain’t what it used to be :wink:

looking through all the forums and posts i find no mention any where about the Halifax water crisis a few years ago
i am sure that it is worth a mention on these pages …so come on drivers lets here you experiences of the cok ups lash ups or for instance th 21 year old driver who passed his test in the morning and P/O gave him 10 year old ERF a drop frame three axle trailor Get this a 20 foot lift tank with no baffles and i am not sure 28000 litres of water .the outcome wason the cards Draw your own conclusions There were dozens of such like stories and a lot of money made out of Yorkshire water i spent Six weeks with a little scania and 2 axle trailor hired from OMEX fertilisers
I earned a lot of money it was a laugh a minute and can we do it again please BrianX Holmans trans Howden

At Newark show ground on the 28/29th of May this year there is a FRIDGED FREIGHT re-union for all ex drivers and employees of J.Wyatt Jnr.(Haulage) Ltd. strictly informal just roll up and have a good time reminiscing…The AEC Society rally is at the same venue and date.

brylboy:
looking through all the forums and posts i find no mention any where about the Halifax water crisis a few years ago
i am sure that it is worth a mention on these pages …so come on drivers lets here you experiences of the cok ups lash ups or for instance th 21 year old driver who passed his test in the morning and P/O gave him 10 year old ERF a drop frame three axle trailor Get this a 20 foot lift tank with no baffles and i am not sure 28000 litres of water .the outcome wason the cards Draw your own conclusions There were dozens of such like stories and a lot of money made out of Yorkshire water i spent Six weeks with a little scania and 2 axle trailor hired from OMEX fertilisers
I earned a lot of money it was a laugh a minute and can we do it again please BrianX Holmans trans Howden

Hi Bry. It was a laugh a minute on the original water job, it also spoiled some good jobs in the area as there was an influx of newly bled tanker drivers after the reservoir was full again. Your mention of an OMEX barrel was not unusual, nor was the 28000 litre lift tank, people were using flour tankers, silos and bananas, The Dutch and Belgians were loading out of Brackenholme and Barmby, they were tipping at a factory and using the water shortage as a cheap clean out. In the early days there were a couple of tales of a pub being flooded when someone let the whole load go down a drain and the road drains not being able to cope. It had to come that EXEL Logistics had to take over and issue barcodes, seals and cleaning certificates, before that, it was like the wild west :laughing:

Mayphil cafe made a killing and got a new lorry park out of it too!

does anyone remember book about middle east drivers called cola cowboys?

i remember reading it as a kid about 20 years ago when my old man bought it for me to keep me quiet in the cab! i also remember some of the subject matter was not really suitable for a young boy but i learnt a lot!!

can’t really remember much about it and if it was a good read or not, in fact i don’t think i managed to finish it ( i was still in single didgits when i read it!!) but i recall it had some top pictures .

Just a reminder as it is getting close to the Fridged Freight re-union and get together at the Newark showground on the 28/29 th of May (next week) the same date as the AEC Society rally which is being held at the same venue. See you there .

hi guys, i wonder if some of you more senior guys could help me out here, years ago (1972/73) i worked for E.H.Nicholls Jnr Ltd from rainham, kent, we were doing a changeover with Harris Road Services chester, we used to change at the ‘‘ace cafe’’ on the A5/45 weedon/daventry. i changed jobs in 73 and happened by the ace cafe a year later 74, to see it had become an oriental restaurant! that was quick! thing is, recently i was looking on google maps, out of curiosity trying to pinpoint the site of the old cafe, guess what! i havent got a clue where it was, has that place changed so much? its unrecognizable i suppose it has, looking how it has changed around my town! any ideas guys? hoping for a response to put my old mind to rest. :open_mouth: :wink: teecee65